Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

On 15/06/2022 at 20:34, Parafox said:

I did this in early spring and many times since. It's amazing and beautiful and soothing. As the sun went down and darkness drew in, the birdsong gradually diminished until all was dark and it stopped completely, as if the birds were going to bed. Wonderful.

Some regions will be slightly different…but if interested, one will find different bird-song…

early morning/Dawn/midday/afternoon/evening/Dusk/ late evening…Choruses .which birds do or don’t, & those who can’t hold their clapper..

Different woods,different bird song…..If you can still experience an eclipse ( in this case Sun being covered)

prepare go into the forest or mountains…sit & listen to the bird song,then listen to hear what happens,when we have moment

Of darkness, the birds go quiet then the eclipse slowly moves on then the chorus & birds busy day burst out of the branches and meadows once again…The trick to learn…can you separate or recognise the individual bird-song.

Its easy to learn,but needs time & patience …

Then one goes abroad…and try & pick & learn the variations within all that tweeting…Rollers,Jays,Thrushes ,finches can

trick you,but so can that dastardly-Starling, imitating every single other bird, or basic lifés noises..

people will enjoy argueing which bird is the best bird or telephone imposter..

My father often asked smiling….is that Lark singing on the wing, nesting,or communicating in the grass…:)

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/07/2022 at 00:10, fuchsntf said:

Some regions will be slightly different…but if interested, one will find different bird-song…

early morning/Dawn/midday/afternoon/evening/Dusk/ late evening…Choruses .which birds do or don’t, & those who can’t hold their clapper..

Different woods,different bird song…..If you can still experience an eclipse ( in this case Sun being covered)

prepare go into the forest or mountains…sit & listen to the bird song,then listen to hear what happens,when we have moment

Of darkness, the birds go quiet then the eclipse slowly moves on then the chorus & birds busy day burst out of the branches and meadows once again…The trick to learn…can you separate or recognise the individual bird-song.

Its easy to learn,but needs time & patience …

Then one goes abroad…and try & pick & learn the variations within all that tweeting…Rollers,Jays,Thrushes ,finches can

trick you,but so can that dastardly-Starling, imitating every single other bird, or basic lifés noises..

people will enjoy argueing which bird is the best bird or telephone imposter..

My father often asked smiling….is that Lark singing on the wing, nesting,or communicating in the grass…:)

I like starlings. Cocky with attitude but clever. 

3 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Maybe as loud as an angry blackbird, but that always seems worse as that performs at about 5am generally 

Not so welcome if you are trying to sleep. Better than wood pigeons cooing. As someone said it sounds as if they are saying I know I'm boring.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently had my Front Garden done. New Drive way and turfed the other side. 

The turf side was a pretty shitty area before, however it was all treated so it was killed off then dug out, new soil etc. Turf laid however now I have noticed two thorn stalks(are these potential bushes) coming up through the turf, which is strange because there weren't any pre the garden being done in that area. 

Any advice how to get rid of the stalk for good? 

• 3 weeks later...

This is in response to the lawn care thread. It would be wrong of me to hijack that thread as it’s different strokes for different folks.

Just me that sees the idea of ‘lawn care’ as a grim reflection of what we’ve come to value in outdoor spaces and what we see as aesthetically pleasing.

Could be an area supportive of life, full of ox-eye daisies, clover, birdfoot trefoil, scabious, knapweed, vetch, teasel and a variety of grasses rather than an unnatural ryegrass monoculture.

I felt bad last week when I chopped back an area of red clover that had keeled over whilst I was away (should have left it) and loads of 22-spot yellow ladybirds that had been feeding on the mildew became homeless. Yet many people won’t even give nature a chance in their garden.

Still, at least it’s better than the plastic lawns.

Now I’ve done my being angry and got backs up of the people who this question is directed at, seriously what is the attraction of ‘lawn care’? I don’t get it.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

This is in response to the lawn care thread. It would be wrong of me to hijack that thread as it’s different strokes for different folks.

Just me that sees the idea of ‘lawn care’ as a grim reflection of what we’ve come to value in outdoor spaces and what we see as aesthetically pleasing.

Could be an area supportive of life, full of ox-eye daisies, clover, birdfoot trefoil, scabious, knapweed, vetch, teasel and a variety of grasses rather than an unnatural ryegrass monoculture.

I felt bad last week when I chopped back an area of red clover that had keeled over whilst I was away (should have left it) and loads of 22-spot yellow ladybirds that had been feeding on the mildew became homeless. Yet many people won’t even give nature a chance in their garden.

Still, at least it’s better than the plastic lawns.

Now I’ve done my being angry and got backs up of the people who this question is directed at, seriously what is the attraction of ‘lawn care’? I don’t get it.

Not sure I need to state the obvious, but there's not much point getting angry at people who have a different preference to you.

I personally spend lots of time and effort on my garden, including my lawn. With respect to the lawn, I've found maintaining it to the "cliché standard"  to be a great individual pursuit as it's one of the few "mindfulness" things I do. It keeps me well occupied outside away from news, social media and all the other s**t in life and provides much needed escapism. Whilst it is to the detriment of the bugs and wild flowers that could exist there, I have an entire border covered with fruit trees, bushes and all sorts of flowering plants. Place is teeming with bees, insects, white collar doves, robins and even a hedgehog family that I built house for. 

Myself and the family sit often picnic on the lawn and I often have a kick about with the youth which would be diminished if it was 6ft tall wild flower meadow.

As you said, "different strokes", but let's not make sweeping assumptions about how and why people do what they do with their garden. I appreciate it's currently trendy to be upset about people mowing their lawns, but it's definitely not a "grim reflection" of anything.

Edited by Zear0
Typo
  • Like 2

The recent very dry spell followed by all that rain earlier this week caused a massive branch from a neighbour's very old oak tree to break and fall onto my land. A quick bit of reasearch seems to indicate that I may have to foot the bill to get it dealt with! Fortunately, no damage was caused, but I really feel that the onus should be on the tree's owners to deal with it. Hopefully, they will. 

Edited by String fellow

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I need to get out exploring the outside world more. I am really not a fan of winter - hate frost, hate ice, hate snow, hate being cold. I just hibernate myself away, which is a shame as no doubt I am missing out on lots of winter wildlife and nature opportunities. 

Correct .. 

But there’s no time like the present ! ..  :thumbup:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I need to get out exploring the outside world more. I am really not a fan of winter - hate frost, hate ice, hate snow, hate being cold. I just hibernate myself away, which is a shame as no doubt I am missing out on lots of winter wildlife and nature opportunities. 

Unfortunately, the introduction of milder air in the winter almost invariably means Atlantic lows and perpetual leaden skies and incessant rain. I'd trade those few degrees centigrade for it to be colder but dry. 

• Like 2

not wildlife related, but we've put a veg patch into our garden this year and also planted a couple of Apple Trees. 

Really looking forward to walking into the garden on Christmas Day to grab some veg from the plot to cook with our Christmas dinner. it's all very "the good life" but it's surpirsing how satisfying it is! 

We haven't ignored the wildlife either.  We've put in a Nature pond and a bird table, as well as some nesting boxes and a bug hotel, but as we are in a new build and the garden was literally lawn.... we haven't had masses of wildlife arrive just yet.  I saw my first robin in the garden this week, which was lovely... but i'm hoping for more birds and wildlife as the garden matures. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...