Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

On 24/07/2021 at 10:27, Raj said:

Where are you based?

Tree Amigos based in countesthorpe are my go too tree surgeons

cheers. Live in Narborough.  Got someone currently doing the job but he don't seem the best. 
I'll go to these guys next time.  

how could you not with a name like that ?!!! 👍🏻🤝

Something in my garden is biting my feet and ankles to buggery. :mad:

I rarely get bothered by bug or mosquito bites, so no idea why they are suddenly finding me so irresistible. :(

Apart from wearing wellies, anyone got any decent advice? 

We have been growing some 'black' tomatoes this year.

They are not actually black (currently they are the colour of aubergines) so we don't know how to tell when they are ripe.

Any ideas?

21 minutes ago, Milo said:

I rarely get bothered by bug or mosquito bites, so no idea why they are suddenly finding me so irresistible. :(

It could be fleas living in the garden, they live on the ground so will bite feet and ankles. Or maybe ants? 

An easy way to find out is to put a pair of white socks on and watch what lands on them, if you can find the culprits you can then look at getting rid of them. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Milo said:

Could be Fleas. They will live on animals in the garden but have a go at you when the opportunity arises. They will live on Cats, Hedgehogs and other small mammals.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

It could be fleas living in the garden, they live on the ground so will bite feet and ankles. Or maybe ants? 

An easy way to find out is to put a pair of white socks on and watch what lands on them, if you can find the culprits you can then look at getting rid of them. 

22 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Could be Fleas. They will live on animals in the garden but have a go at you when the opportunity arises. They will live on Cats, Hedgehogs and other small mammals.

Great - so I’ve got fleas… lol

White socks and sandals it is, then…

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Milo said:

There is a 100% effective answer to this problem ...    and a fantastic fashion statement to boot !! ..  :thumbup:

s-l1600.jpg

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

There is a 100% effective answer to this problem ...    and a fantastic fashion statement to boot !! ..  :thumbup:

s-l1600.jpg

is that the new away kit?

6 hours ago, Buce said:

We have been growing some 'black' tomatoes this year.

They are not actually black (currently they are the colour of aubergines) so we don't know how to tell when they are ripe.

Any ideas?

I did the same a few years ago. Black tomatoes and purple broccoli. For the tomatoes it’s impossible just to tell by colour, so I went by touch. If they felt too solid I’d leave them a couple of days and check back then. Just be careful to not let them go over and get too soft. 

• Thanks 1

Couldn’t think of a better place to ask this…

Anybody got on tips for getting dried on concrete residue off of Indian paving slabs? I dry pointed them when I laid them, and some of the concrete mix dust must have settled and dried on to some of the slabs and now it’s a bit of a bitch to get off and the slabs just look dusty and dull. Any tips and tricks welcome. 

Also would not recommend dry pointing anything by the way, wish I’d have just spent a bit longer with a wet mix so I could have cleaned the slabs as I went along. 

11 minutes ago, Manini said:

Couldn’t think of a better place to ask this…

Anybody got on tips for getting dried on concrete residue off of Indian paving slabs? I dry pointed them when I laid them, and some of the concrete mix dust must have settled and dried on to some of the slabs and now it’s a bit of a bitch to get off and the slabs just look dusty and dull. Any tips and tricks welcome. 

Also would not recommend dry pointing anything by the way, wish I’d have just spent a bit longer with a wet mix so I could have cleaned the slabs as I went along. 

Pointing is a bitch! Doesn't help that the weeds under my slabs are on steroids and will push through any sort of compound I put down. This won't help you now but I'm hearing very good things about a product called flowpoint. Currently laying my own patio and going to give it a go.

42 minutes ago, deejdeej said:

Pointing is a bitch! Doesn't help that the weeds under my slabs are on steroids and will push through any sort of compound I put down. This won't help you now but I'm hearing very good things about a product called flowpoint. Currently laying my own patio and going to give it a go.

Not half mate, but no thank you for that mate because I’m contemplating drilling all this out and doing it again so I’ll look in to that gear. 

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Milo said:

Does anyone have any experience of rotovating and seeding a lawn?

Is it a fairly straightforward DIY job, or is it best done by someone who knows what they're doing...?! 

Shouldn't be too hard if you have a rotavator.   If you are rotavating an old lawn put something like 'Round up' on it and leave for about a week to kill off the crap (but watch you don't get it on the borders!) ...  then rotavate down about 4 inches.  Level/rake it off and then lightly roll ...  then tease it up a bit (say top 2 inches) to help the seeds get a hold ...  then sow your seeds.   And remember, one handful for the grass, and one handful for the birds !

Just remembered I'd seen your question as I'm scarifying all morning ...   :)

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

Shouldn't be too hard if you have a rotavator.   If you are rotavating an old lawn put something like 'Round up' on it and leave for about a week to kill off the crap (but watch you don't get it on the borders!) ...  then rotavate down about 4 inches.  Level/rake it off and then lightly roll ...  then tease it up a bit (say top 2 inches) to help the seeds get a hold ...  then sow your seeds.   And remember, one handful for the grass, and one handful for the birds !

Just remembered I'd seen your question as I'm scarifying all morning ...   :)

We hired a turf cutter and that saves days of work. Then we rotavated, topsoiled and seeded.

Just need to remember to water it 3 times a day until it takes.

11 minutes ago, kenny said:

We hired a turf cutter and that saves days of work. Then we rotavated, topsoiled and seeded.

Just need to remember to water it 3 times a day until it takes.

Fair point ..  the only down side of that is the cost of hiring the turf cutter and what to do with the removed turf ..  if they aren’t issues then fair enough.

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

Fair point ..  the only down side of that is the cost of hiring the turf cutter and what to do with the removed turf ..  if they aren’t issues then fair enough.

We donated our cut turf to a nearby farmer. Not sure if they wanted it or not.

• Haha 1