Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

Remember to keep your dog on a lead at this time of year when deer are close ...   unfortunately there are many young deer killed by dogs ...  even little fluffy wuffy that wouldn't hurt a fly ...   I recall two small terriers tearing a roe kid to pieces but the owner wouldn't have it ..  she said they were probably only playing with it ...   I decided it was probably best not to show her what was left after the 'game' was over ..   :(

8f315cc4-865b-ca02-d2e9-9efa3b56487d.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/06/2021 at 16:45, Countryfox said:

Remember to keep your dog on a lead at this time of year when deer are close ...   unfortunately there are many young deer killed by dogs ...  even little fluffy wuffy that wouldn't hurt a fly ...   I recall two small terriers tearing a roe kid to pieces but the owner wouldn't have it ..  she said they were probably only playing with it ...   I decided it was probably best not to show her what was left after the 'game' was over ..   :(

8f315cc4-865b-ca02-d2e9-9efa3b56487d.jpg

Stupid bitch! Some dog owners make me livid.

• Like 2

On 29/05/2021 at 21:29, Sharpe's Fox said:

Would it help further if I clarified that robins are extremely aggressive and territorial and your robins song was essentially an elongated "I'm here you cvnts now fvck off."

Really good point - they are very defensive and aggressive over their territories. 

I have a couple nesting in the honeysuckle and they're bold bastards. I was gardening up there and they kept landing next to me. What seemed friendly was really them telling me to piss off. Saying that, the male keeps hopping into the house. I've heard that if you earn their trust, you can hand feed them which I've been attempting to do. 

The Magpies amaze me. They are like sentinels the way they keep watch over you. They know who you are and based upon your previous behaviour, whether you constitute a threat to them. A few years ago a pair used to regularly tap on my window first thing in the morning. I sleep with the curtains open and they knew that. They used to intentionally wake us up, then simply stare in and watch your reaction. It has been suggested by some that they are merely interacting with their reflection, but Magpies and other corvids are one of the few creatures in the animal kingdom that have passed the mirror/MSR test. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, deejdeej said:

Excuse my awful wildlife knowledge. But wtf is this??

IMG-20210710-WA0001.jpg

Depends where you live. Down here where I live it's for green garden waste. Where my mum is, they bizarrely use it for general refuse sacks.

Edited by Duquesne Whistle
Sorry, couldn't help myself. I've no idea what the odd looking bug is, looks vaguely like a dragon fly, but I'm pretty blind..
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Depends where you live. Down here where I live it's for green garden waste. Where my mum is, they bizarrely use it for general refuse sacks.

As soon as I posted I knew this comment was coming lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LVocey said:

Can anyone recommend a pet-friendly weed killer for my lawn? So many docks and thistles!

Sounds like you need more than weed killer, a bit of lawn tlc will be needed especially as docks aren’t easily got rid once established (seedlings are outcompetes) even with agricultural chemicals let alone garden. Digging them out is a better bet and you don’t have to use horrible herbicides. But unless you put the work in to ensure they can’t come back, they’ll be back next year from seeds carried in the wind.

Glyphosate mentioned above is non-selective so will do your grass no good and so unless you put the effort in to reseed and care for your lawn, you’re just gonna create a bigger area for weeds to set up home.

4 hours ago, Filbert_Ross said:

Got some conifer trees that need stripping back. 
I've done some of it myself but had a allergic reaction to it so I don't fancy finishing it off. 

anyone recommend a gardener or whatever that does that sort of thing?

Look on FB, there's loads. Personally I'd go for one that has mobile number and a landline number or look on Checkatrade. I know of peeps getting ripped off by "tree fellers" who only gave a mobile which couldn't be traced.

• Like 1

Just now, Parafox said:

Look on FB, there's loads. Personally I'd go for one that has mobile number and a landline number or look on Checkatrade. I know of peeps getting ripped off by "tree fellers" who only gave a mobile which couldn't be traced.

That happened to me.

Turned out there was only two of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/07/2021 at 14:42, Filbert_Ross said:

Got some conifer trees that need stripping back. 
I've done some of it myself but had a allergic reaction to it so I don't fancy finishing it off. 

anyone recommend a gardener or whatever that does that sort of thing?

Where are you based?

Tree Amigos based in countesthorpe are my go too tree surgeons