Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

17 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I've spent the last 3 days, off and on, trying to tidy the garden up on our new house. Chopped a load of shrubs and trees out overhanging from the back and burnt it. I've raked and mowed the lawn which is in a terrible state. I've filled 3 dustbin bags with moss alone and there's probably another couple of bag still in it.

Question; is weed and feed any good and will it kill dandelions as well? 

Well done Webbo ! ...   and yes it should. 

(I tend to use 2 separate ones though ..  one for weed and one for feed ...  )

Edited by Countryfox

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Well done Webbo ! ...   and yes it should. 

Tbh there's more moss and dandelions than grass. I don't know whether to just re turf it. I think some of it doesn't get enough sunlight.

Just now, Webbo said:

Tbh there's more moss and dandelions than grass. I don't know whether to just re turf it. I think some of it doesn't get enough sunlight.

Will take a while but can be done ..  grass seeds might help ..   depends how big your lawn is ..  and no sun could be a problem ..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Will take a while but can be done ..  grass seeds might help ..   depends how big your lawn is ..  and no sun could be a problem ..

I've been reading up on this a bit. Should I seed first and then after a few weeks put the weed and feed on or the other way around?

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I've been reading up on this a bit. Should I seed first and then after a few weeks put the weed and feed on or the other way around?

Feed first then weed after as the weed works more much better when the weeds are bigger and flourishing ...    then seed and water ...  

Depends a bit on your lawn though ...   they are all different ...   

And you need rain to push all weed/feed into the ground ...     don’t apply in dry hot conditions ...

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

Feed first then weed after as the weed works more much better when the weeds are bigger and flourishing ...    then seed and water ...  

Depends a bit on your lawn though ...   they are all different ...   

And you need rain to push all weed/feed into the ground ...     don’t apply in dry hot conditions ...

How long will it take to shift the weeds and moss. will it take more than one treatment?

PS what do you use?

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

How long will it take to shift the weeds and moss. will it take more than one treatment?

PS what do you use?

I’ll  check tomorrow ...   had a call that a caravan is parked up outside my gate ...   me and the dogs off to investigate ...  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Just on holiday in my caravan on a lovely driveway and some moron with a German shepherd type dog has just came over and disturbed me.

So inconsiderate.

Sorry mate ...   good of you to move on though ...    :ph34r:

13 hours ago, Webbo said:

PS what do you use?

Right where were we ...   without seeing your lawn this is what I suggest ...   if there is hardly any grass then get it all out, rotivate, level and lay turf ...   but I prefer to seed, which is easier, cheaper and less bother.  And you can get seed that is good in shady ares.  Either way put Round up on and that will take a few weeks then rotivate and redo.  I use a broad leaf spray for clover daisies etc (Weedol i think) ..  and then feed with NPK ..  nitrogen, potassium and phosphate (I think) ...     hope that helps ..  :thumbup:

• Like 1

On 25/03/2018 at 19:15, Countryfox said:

I was so pleased to see a Red Kite circling over my garden this week ...  have only seen one before in this area...  ever !! 

They are generally regarded as one of the most beautiful raptors that we have in the UK ...   fingers crossed they are here to stay ...   interesting to know if anyone else sees one ...  

97FCA1C1-69A4-4872-88DB-E51F99070C36.jpeg

There is one that flies over my place on the outskirts of Wigston every now and then. It’s the only one I’ve ever seen, I am assuming it is the same one each time. Huge thing. 

1 hour ago, stix said:

There is one that flies over my place on the outskirts of Wigston every now and then. It’s the only one I’ve ever seen, I am assuming it is the same one each time. Huge thing. 

Might be the same one I see ! ...   lucky to have them here ...  beautiful birds ...   and ..  I've seen two together now so fingers crossed they are a breeding pair ...    :)

21 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Might be the same one I see ! ...   lucky to have them here ...  beautiful birds ...   and ..  I've seen two together now so fingers crossed they are a breeding pair ...    :)

That is good news. I have only seen one on its own.

On 25/03/2018 at 19:15, Countryfox said:

I was so pleased to see a Red Kite circling over my garden this week ...  have only seen one before in this area...  ever !! 

They are generally regarded as one of the most beautiful raptors that we have in the UK ...   fingers crossed they are here to stay ...   interesting to know if anyone else sees one ...  

97FCA1C1-69A4-4872-88DB-E51F99070C36.jpeg

One of my favourite birds that.

Very rarely see them near me,but 10 miles down the road yes.

if you happen to be on The A1 southbound at Peterborough around the Yaxley turn off you can see about 10-15 at a time.Someone must be feeding them.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, stix said:

Is that for tea?

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

I think that’s his lunch...

Out of season I'm afraid ...     but her brother wasn't ...   :ph34r:

Liver and kidneys for breakfast this morning and venison fillet for dinner tonight ...   :)

On 03/07/2017 at 23:48, Smudge said:

In Massachusetts about 30 miles South of Boston in a place called North Easton.

Lot of wildlife, deer are often grazing in the same spot.

It must be really exciting to stay in a place like that. I am bored of living a city life where the only thing you get to watch is skyscrapers, people, cars, etc. etc. No sign of wildlife here.

2 minutes ago, Ronish Baxter said:

It must be really exciting to stay in a place like that. I am bored of living a city life where the only thing you get to watch is skyscrapers, people, cars, etc. etc. No sign of wildlife here.

Sound pretty wild in some areas of London to me ....

• Haha 1

On 1.4.2018 at 19:25, Webbo said:

There is "shadow/shade grass"  

You still have to prepare the Ground,but it pays off in the end. 

Or in the nuisance area, sow out meadow farmer seeds,mixed with Flowers  that grow in the shade.

• Like 1