Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

1 hour ago, stix said:

I’ve never seen a grass snake in the wild before. I know it’s pretty boring as far as snakes go but we were fascinated by it. 

Are you sure that's what it is? It looks like an adder to me.

image.png.9e8d809ec2c3fc20e46506fcf7adb356.png

Edit,

Having just googled an image of a grass snake, I think you're right.

Edited by Buce

12 hours ago, stix said:

I’ve never seen a grass snake in the wild before. I know it’s pretty boring as far as snakes go but we were fascinated by it. 

Not boring at all,I’m a bit of a snake anorak!

sometimes play dead if you get too close and even secretes blood from the mouth and nose for its party trick.

Like me can produce a pungent smell from its arse too!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cambridgefox said:

Not boring at all,I’m a bit of a snake anorak!

sometimes play dead if you get too close and even secretes blood from the mouth and nose for its party trick.

Like me can produce a pungent smell from its arse too!

I think snakes are among the coolest of creatures.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Countryfox Do you know of any Muntjac deer around the South Wigston area? We’ve just had one turn up at ours, we’re situated along the canal between Crow Mills and the Navigation pub? I managed to usher it back towards the farmers field but it looked entirely lost. 

Really odd!!!

10 minutes ago, stix said:

@Countryfox Do you know of any Muntjac deer around the South Wigston area? We’ve just had one turn up at ours, we’re situated along the canal between Crow Mills and the Navigation pub? I managed to usher it back towards the farmers field but it looked entirely lost. 

Really odd!!!

Good timing ..  was having a quick scan before turning in.

They are everywhere mate, you just don't normally see them that easily ...     I see their slots (tracks) everywhere when walking the dogs in the morning ...   and they eat my roses !    They aren't lost just probably a bit scared when they saw you.   I love em ...   the tastiest venison of the lot but too small to be commercial ...   :)   Born survivors. 

Edited by Countryfox
Spelling mistakes !! ... Don't tell Peaky.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Countryfox said:

They are everywhere mate, you just don't normally see them that easily ...     I see their slots (tracks) everywhere when walking the dogs in the morning ...   and they eat my roses !    They aren't lost just probably a bit scared when they saw you.   I love em ...   the tastiest venison of the lot but too small to be commercial ...   :)   Born survivors. 

Ah ok I assumed they were a rare thing. I’ve never seen one up here in the 6 years I’ve been here, it was heading towards the estate and didn’t want it to get motored by somebody.

Cheers CF

1 hour ago, Buce said:

I’m out early on the canal near Foxton and I’ve just seen a mink. 

I had no idea they’d spread to Leicestershire. 

Been here ages Bucey ...   funnily enough I saw a whopper not far from there when I was fishing.    One ate all my fish a few years back (then an otter ate some more ..  had a great picture of him slipping under the gate) ...  but they are easily caught if you need to cus they are so inquisitive.

On 14/06/2018 at 18:57, stix said:

I was greeted to this in the car park when I got home this afternoon!

F24652A3-082E-4B3E-B20A-3B75D91FF58A.jpeg

I found a snake in our pond a few weeks ago. I was out in the pond last night clearing the weed out, with more than a little trepidation. Bottled it and rang the local gardener up to see if he would do the rest. 

9 hours ago, stix said:

Really odd!!!

Anything acting that shifty near South Wigston is obviously going to pick up some weed.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, stix said:

Really odd!!!

Loads around Market Harborough. Had one in my garden at our old house and saw them at Foxton Locks and several places.

The thing is, when you first see one and have never heard of them, it’s all a bit weird as if you are seeing something very odd. 

We have had three snakes in our garden over the last 10 years. One fell off the garage roof onto my mates a while back. I am assuming a bird must have dropped it.  The blokes head it fell on is hard as nails and just moaned about the smell of them. It was as if he has snakes drop on his head all the time. 

10 hours ago, stix said:

Really odd!!!

10 hours ago, Countryfox said:

There we go ..  that was earlier this morning ....  

FA04BDFA-4806-430F-B445-F6F4427C62B1.jpeg

My cat brought a baby snake in the other day. Either that or it was an extremely large worm. Im used to waking up to half eaten mice or worse still live ones, hiding under the computer desk but a snake. 

My ex used to have a garter snake (i think that was its name) kept it in a glass tank, damn thing used to be able to push the lid up enough to wriggle thru. You would always know where to find it though, huddled around the tea-pot. 

On a different note, every plant in the greenhouse this year has got tomatoes on it. Really chuffed as i love home grown tomatoes. The taste is so much better than the tasteless crap you buy from the supermarkets these days.

18 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

My cat brought a baby snake in the other day. Either that or it was an extremely large worm. Im used to waking up to half eaten mice or worse still live ones, hiding under the computer desk but a snake. 

My ex used to have a garter snake (i think that was its name) kept it in a glass tank, damn thing used to be able to push the lid up enough to wriggle thru. You would always know where to find it though, huddled around the tea-pot. 

On a different note, every plant in the greenhouse this year has got tomatoes on it. Really chuffed as i love home grown tomatoes. The taste is so much better than the tasteless crap you buy from the supermarkets these days.

Yeah... I hate to break it to you, Suzie, but a computer mouse is a completely different thing.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Great spot very elusive bird. Did you hear the booming?

That’s the only thing I’ve heard before and what a noise.

was so lucky that day,I had to see a customer in Brandon and the road goes past RAF Lakenheath,just as the F15s we’re taking off,saw my customer and decided to have lunch at RSPB Lakenheath,had a walk got to the hide and within a minute it flew in.

cameras going off everywhere.

Downside I didn’t see the bearded Tits that are there and heard a Grasshopper Warbler Bit didn’t see.Another distinctive sound.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In the canteen at work the other week. It was mid afternoon and not many people were in there. A large dog fox walked in through the doors, left open because of the heat. He wandered round the tables, looking to see whether someone had left something worth eating. Because it wasn't long to closing time there was nobody behind the counter. When a stout middle aged woman walked through the double doors from the kitchen and clapped her hands and shouted loudly until he decided to beat a slow retreat. Apparently this happens quite regularly. Can't provide photo because cameras and phones are not allowed on the site.

Although it is an MOD site with a double fence and razor wire everywhere, out of hours it is a haven for wildlife. Foxes, badgers, deer, buzzards, and sparrowhawks are all a common sight. Foxes and badgers can obviously dig under the fences but how a deer gets in I have no idea. The site is a former airfield and the perimeter fence must be about 5 miles long so perhaps they live there all the time.