Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, notnow john said:

Spectacular, any idea what the bush was?

I couldn't quite work out what shrub it was......seeing as they had decimated every single leaf.  The leaves in the picture are from a dogwood, but they were interested in that.  Could be hawthorne looking at the bark?

It did appear as if they had resorted to eating each other. 

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Using all my ninja like stealth qualities I managed to get within 15 ft of this dozy young fallow buck today ....   still stood and stared even when I got my phone out and took a pic ...     :)

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

Oh dear.

46 minutes ago, Buce said:

The early hog gets the worms...

A9D0A463-D5D5-4FD0-AF04-AE4643D45EF7.thumb.jpeg.472ed12baafa54f2dbc6734aaadcf5e2.jpeg

We have three that come just after dusk but this young one struggles to compete against the grown-ups, so she’s early to the feast tonight. 

She should be careful getting up early, lack of sleep can make you prickly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Heard a Tawny Owl in the day today,I assume it’s got something to do with the breeding season,but never heard that before.

watched a pair of Hobby’s (with the best Latin name in ornathology Falco Subbuteo)

Amazing birds

Edited by cambridgefox
  • Like 1

Sorry about all my Deer pics but this one made my day.   A wood near me has loads of deer in it ..    Muntjac and Fallow (like the ones in Bradgate park) but no Roe ...    about a year ago I spotted a beautiful Roe buck in there for the first time with two does in attendance.    This year I saw him again and noticed he had an amazing set of antlers.   I spoke to a couple of friends who are more expert in these matters and told them I thought it could be a potential medal head ..  they said try and get a pic and we will have a look.   Easier said than done !! ...   so, two weeks ago I set up a trail cam and have just picked it up ...  hundreds and hundreds of pics of fallow, muntjac, hares, squirrels, badgers, foxes and rabbits ....    and one of the buck !!!   They have had a look and confirmed that he is a belter and definitely a medal of some description ...    our continental cousins would pay a fortune to come over here and shoot him ...    but don't worry ...  he's not going anywhere ...   :thumbup:

PICT0048.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Webbo said:

I've re seeded the bare patches in the lawn, with mixed results, still a bit sparse. I've got some new weeds coming up in the lawn now. Should I weed and feed again?

Sounds a right hassle mate. There's only one answer...:D

Image result for artificial grass

On 24/05/2018 at 20:53, Buce said:

The early hog gets the worms...

A9D0A463-D5D5-4FD0-AF04-AE4643D45EF7.thumb.jpeg.472ed12baafa54f2dbc6734aaadcf5e2.jpeg

We have three that come just after dusk but this young one struggles to compete against the grown-ups, so she’s early to the feast tonight. 

Thought you were treating him to a tin of spaghetti, tight bastard.

Edited by Costock_Fox

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Roses looking great this year ...   here's ours ! ... 

Yep ...   we love roses !   :)

IMG_0755.jpg

Very beautiful. Mine are know where near on that standard. Fruit garden is coming on well however, looking forward to an abundance of Raspberrys, Strawberrys and Blueberrys. Even have a few cherrys on the tree, which no doubt the birds will eat. 

Good year for tomatoes too, spotted 1st little green one earlier. :D 

43 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Very beautiful. Mine are know where near on that standard. Fruit garden is coming on well however, looking forward to an abundance of Raspberrys, Strawberrys and Blueberrys. Even have a few cherrys on the tree, which no doubt the birds will eat. 

Good year for tomatoes too, spotted 1st little green one earlier. :D 

Thanks Suze ...   we have just had a few of our strawberries after dinner ...  growing them on straw to keep them clean.   I net the cherries when they start to ripen ...   as you say the birds can clean them off the tree in a day ...   we’ve still got some cherry brandy from last year ..   it’s sooooo tasty if I say so myself ...    good luck with all your stuff ! ...    :thumbup:

E2646898-13E1-4ED4-AF3D-8D4FEF500E9B.jpeg

• Like 1