Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Union FS

Safe Standing Survey Results

4 minutes ago, Papasmurf said:

Good work but 87% of 1200 responses is hardly a significant amount of our fan base. 

They did open the survey to everyone so not much else could have been done I'd imagine. However I've seen some other groups run similar surveys recently and obtain fewer responses. 

All in all a great write up, top work guys ?

• Like 1

having read all that I need to sit down!

... well done - this shows that there is demand - but I am not sure how much as the decision to complete the survey is self selecting - but we can say that 1000 such tickets would fill.  I would aim for say 3000... ie 10% of the ground

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Is there a chance that the results could be skewed by non-Leicester but pro-standing supporters?

I imagine that the UFS social media following contains a lot of people just interested in what they do.

UFS got in touch with a lot of LCFC social media platforms that have a better reach to other sections of the support to try and eliminate this. Pages like 100% LCFC and Blue Army TV (both of which have thousands more followers than UFS on Facebook/Twitter) both put posts out urging people to take part so hopefully a decent cross section was gained rather than just people who follow the Union FS twitter page.  

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I bet that 80% of our fans don't even know about it. 

Possibly but at least the figures show that there is enough of an appetite amongst those who have bothered to educate themselves about it for the Club to consider making their own enquiries across the fan base to canvass opinion on an official and wider basis.

This survey was presumably never intended to come up with a solution but to demonstrate that the Club would be right to discuss a topic that outright affects the safety of fans with fans, rather than take a unilateral 'we know best' position on behalf of fans.

16 hours ago, Papasmurf said:

Good work but 87% of 1200 responses is hardly a significant amount of our fan base. 

Agreed, Slightly skewed towards SK1 as well, 50.1% or respondents sit/stand in the Kop and 38.7% Stand at Home games.

I'm going out on a limb to say that only around 10% of our Home Support stand on a match day.

Not having a go at Union FS, I like a lot of what they do, but if you're going to start presenting Stats like this to the club you have get it right and look at getting a representative sample of our fan base, not just through forums and social media.

7 minutes ago, Livid said:

I like a lot of what they do, but if you're going to start presenting Stats like this to the club you have get it right and look at getting a representative sample of our fan base, not just through forums and social media.

Very difficult to do short of asking the club for contact details of a prescribed snapshot of fans, which they obviously wouldn't give out. Unless the club do their own mandatory survey (which they would never do), getting the opinions of absolutely everyone is nigh on impossible. 

Would be interesting to see how the vote changes by where people sit in the ground, IE would support for safe standing be lower in the West Stand or the Family stand for instance. Or is support lower from those that sit at away games etc. 

2 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Very difficult to do short of asking the club for contact details of a prescribed snapshot of fans, which they obviously wouldn't give out. Unless the club do their own mandatory survey (which they would never do), getting the opinions of absolutely everyone is nigh on impossible. 

Would be interesting to see how the vote changes by where people sit in the ground, IE would support for safe standing be lower in the West Stand or the Family stand for instance. Or is support lower from those that sit at away games etc. 

I agree with what you're saying and I won't deny there is a demand for it amongst some of our support, but if your sample is skewed the results are pretty much meaningless.

If you're going to do something like this you need to do it right or not at all.

1 hour ago, Livid said:

I agree with what you're saying and I won't deny there is a demand for it amongst some of our support, but if your sample is skewed the results are pretty much meaningless.

If you're going to do something like this you need to do it right or not at all.

It would be really difficult to do that without conducting a physical survey of everyone who enters the ground on matchday.

Anyone who's ever tried to do anything like that will tell you only a minority of those you're trying to survey will actually stop and talk to you.

If these results inspire the club to carry out its own survey using the far greater resources at its disposal then that would be great.

25 minutes ago, Livid said:

I think that's a bit overly critical, people can only work with what they've got at the end of the day. I doubt anyone involved with UFS is a professional market researcher with years of experience putting reports like this together lol 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I think that's a bit overly critical, people can only work with what they've got at the end of the day. I doubt anyone involved with UFS is a professional market researcher with years of experience putting reports like this together lol 

Criticising the veracity of a the data set is fair enough but I would agree probably not necessary - I'm sure no one in UFS is daft or deluded enough to think a survey of around 1,250 is going to influence government or club policy on the matter.

What it may do is help persuade the relevant decision makers within the Club to re-consider their largely neutral (or passively negative) stance on the matter and consult with fans on a wider scale.

And that's the point. Let's see where they get with it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Livid said:

Agreed, Slightly skewed towards SK1 as well, 50.1% or respondents sit/stand in the Kop and 38.7% Stand at Home games.

I'm going out on a limb to say that only around 10% of our Home Support stand on a match day.

Not having a go at Union FS, I like a lot of what they do, but if you're going to start presenting Stats like this to the club you have get it right and look at getting a representative sample of our fan base, not just through forums and social media.

23 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Is there a chance that the results could be skewed by non-Leicester but pro-standing supporters?

I imagine that the UFS social media following contains a lot of people just interested in what they do.

85% of responders were either season ticket holders or members.

The survey was posted on here and other LCFC social media accounts so plenty of people had a chance to respond, if half of them that did were people that sit/stand in the Kop it's neither here nor there and it's certainly not Union FS' fault.

If you're not going to actively share your views when you have the chance then you can't whinge about the stats being 'skewed'. Even if they are a bit inaccurate (as is always possible with any survey, whether online or via face to face contact), it's quite obvious that more Leicester fans want safe standing, than those that don't.

I think some people are missing the point. This survey doesn't tell us anything we don't already know, for years there's been votes like this all over the country and the demand for it has always been around 85 - 90%. Union FS are essentially speaking for the majority of football fans here; collecting a bit of information (that can be taken however you want to take it) which will hopefully help influence the powers that be at this football club to support something that we want.

Edited by Kitchandro
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...