Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Technology, Science and the Environment.

Reminds me of this

Last night, I contemplated masturbation.

It did me good.

I knew it would.

Tonight, I will repeat the operation.

It’s my desire

To twank my wire.

First you do the long strokes:

Up and down, up and down.

Then you do the short strokes:

Round and round, round and round.

Tease it, please it,

Slap it on the floor.

Wank it, crank it,

Slam it in the door.

Some people say,

Some people say that sexual intercourse is grand.

But for personal satisfaction I would rather use my hand.

...and it's variants

Masturbation

Last night I laid awake and masturbated, 
c jIt felt so good, I knew it would. 
Last night I laid awake and masturbated, 
It felt so nice, I did it twice. 

You should have seen me on the short strokes, 
It felt so grand, I used my hand. 
You should have seen me on the long strokes, 
It felt so neat, I used my feet. 

Slam it, ram it, throw it on the floor,Wrap it around the bed post, slam in in the door. 
Some people think that fornication is rather great, 
But I would rather stay at home, and calmly masturbate 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Interesting that, Mac.

Even more interesting (to me) was this other story:

https://phys.org/news/2018-02-ice-age-human-witnessed-larger.html

Edit: Btw, that's a cracking website, Mac - I've pinned it for future reading. Thanks. :thumbup:

Edited by Buce

On 2/4/2018 at 12:45, Buce said:

Interesting that, Mac.

Even more interesting (to me) was this other story:

https://phys.org/news/2018-02-ice-age-human-witnessed-larger.html

Edit: Btw, that's a cracking website, Mac - I've pinned it for future reading. Thanks. :thumbup:

Only just got round to reading this - thanks! Was aware that there was an impact event at that time, but not to that degree of effect. I'll have a read of the paper - if I can get access to it - and see more.

It is a great website, isn't it?

Also...this is THE DAY.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-42950957

GET HYPE.

31 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Somehow the beauty of these things always seem to be spoiled though:

• “Much bigger satellites for use by US intelligence and the military. The scale of these satellites is limited by current rocket performance.”

On 04/02/2018 at 16:47, leicsmac said:

If those planets are 3.8 billion light years away, if one of them got completely obliterated today how long would it be before we see it here on earth?

27 minutes ago, Strokes said:

If those planets are 3.8 billion light years away, if one of them got completely obliterated today how long would it be before we see it here on earth?

Somewhere between 3.7 and 3.9 billion years.

34 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I love that their ? come back to ? and land.

That's revolutionary in itself.

falc1.thumb.jpg.7982de620ffcbb8793e548ec208cd092.jpg

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Somehow the beauty of these things always seem to be spoiled though:

• “Much bigger satellites for use by US intelligence and the military. The scale of these satellites is limited by current rocket performance.”

Yeah, all the applications aren't going to leave a nice taste in the mouth, but sadly I think it's a necessary price to pay. Hopefully one day we'll be able to do such stuff without the offset of it being used to find more creative ways to kill people.

28 minutes ago, Strokes said:

3.8 billion years, but you also have to account for relative speed - as it's that far away from us it's also moving away from us at a decent fraction of the speed of light, so it would take longer for the light from such things to reach us.

3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

That’s what I thought it meant, so how do we know they exist now?

Ah, right. Well, we don't. Not in our here and now, anyway. Which is a lot different from theirs.

Time seems like this fixed and immutable thing because it's that way here on Earth, but the further you go out, the weirder it gets.

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

We don't.

Much of the light that reaches earth is from stars which have either fizzled out or (if big enough) gone bang.

Because nothing can travel faster than light (unless, that is, you believe in tachyons) you can never know what's happening right now at any other star, you only see the light which was produced and has been traveling through the cosmos.

1 minute ago, Vacamion said:

We don't.

Much of the light that reaches earth is from stars which have either fizzled out or (if big enough) gone bang.

Because nothing can travel faster than light (unless, that is, you believe in tachyons) you can never know what's happening right now at any other star, you only see the light which was produced and has been traveling through the cosmos.

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

That's revolutionary in itself.

falc1.thumb.jpg.7982de620ffcbb8793e548ec208cd092.jpg

Yeah, all the applications aren't going to leave a nice taste in the mouth, but sadly I think it's a necessary price to pay. Hopefully one day we'll be able to do such stuff without the offset of it being used to find more creative ways to kill people.

3.8 billion years, but you also have to account for relative speed - as it's that far away from us it's also moving away from us at a decent fraction of the speed of light, so it would take longer for the light from such things to reach us.

Ah, right. Well, we don't. Not in our here and now, anyway. Which is a lot different from theirs.

Time seems like this fixed and immutable thing because it's that way here on Earth, but the further you go out, the weirder it gets.

It’s probably pretty basic to you guys but I never really thought about it before. How do they know light from sources outside our galaxy, travel at the same speed? That’s got to be pretty hard to measure. And if light can bend and weaken, can it slow down or speed up?

6 minutes ago, Strokes said:

It’s probably pretty basic to you guys but I never really thought about it before. How do they know light from sources outside our galaxy, travel at the same speed? That’s got to be pretty hard to measure. And if light can bend and weaken, can it slow down or speed up?

No it's constant.

All electromagnetic radiation travels at a constant speed, the speed of light (emphasis on "the").

It can be bent or refracted, through a glass lens, or a cup of water, or gravitational lensing.

It can be stretched or compressed into longer or shorter wavelengths.

In fact the "shift" of light from bodies travelling away from us was one of the ways in which it was first suspected that the universe is expanding.

Galaxies have "standard candles", which contain phenomena with known constant and measured qualities, which vary proportionately with distance and speed, so their distances from us can be measured.

When you ask "how do they know?", there is a lot of maths, a lot of models of looking at things, all of which which fit a constant speed of light. 

This constant speed of light has allowed predictions to be made which were later confirmed by observation.

If light speed varied, a lot of the models which currently fit the mathematics would fail and new scientific models would need to be found.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

No it's constant.

All electromagnetic radiation travels at a constant speed, the speed of light (emphasis on "the").

It can be bent or refracted, through a glass lens, or a cup of water, or gravitational lensing.

In fact the "shift" of light from bodies travelling away from us was one of the ways in which it was first suspected that the universe is expanding.

Galaxies have "standard candles", which contain phenomena with known constant and measured qualities, which vary proportionately with distance and speed, so their distances from us can be measured.

When you ask "how do they know?", there is a lot of maths, a lot of models of looking at things, all of which which fit a constant speed of light. 

This constant speed of light has allowed predictions to be made which were later confirmed by observation.

If light speed varied, a lot of the models which currently fit the mathematics would fail and new scientific models would need to be found.

:thumbup:

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Absurdly fantastic. Its impossible not to like Elon Musk. The guy is just a dreamer who is being things happen. And so many of his projects would help the world with climate change which for me is a huge positive. What an awesome spectacle. I presume the crowd was the space x workers - how awesome to be part of that!

3 hours ago, Strokes said:

We don't. Studying the universe is truly mind bending. 

3 hours ago, Vacamion said:

No it's constant.

I'll complicate things by adding that the speed of light is presumed constant in a vacuum. Light gets refracted because its speed changes in different mediums.

There's also the possibility that the speed of light hasn't always been constant, which is being actively investigated.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23331150-200-cosmic-uncertainty-is-the-speed-of-light-really-constant/

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, FIF said:

Can someone with influence please ask Mark to remove my post limit. I've been waiting for hours to reply to the opinions thread and place these articles on here. Please, Pretty please.

Could be a game-changer and life saver:

https://www.sciencealert.com/graphene-film-water-filtration-drinkable-seawater

Why do you have a post limit? Is it just you or do others have this ... seems strange? 

1 hour ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Why do you have a post limit? Is it just you or do others have this ... seems strange? 

You'll have to wait until tomorrow to get your answer Suzie as FIF has reached his post limit for today :D

• Haha 2