Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

Really? Just put 2 x £13k/yr salaries into the calculator and it says could get upto £91k. 

Could be bull though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah that's 3.5x their joint salary. I think they would only get that if they had impeccable credit ratings and a relatively large deposit. 

I used to rent this house on Grove Street in Hull about 20 years ago :)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-70944602.html

Right near the town center and close to all the amenities. My mates used to come up and visit and say how cheap it was to eat and rink out there. It's never dull in Hull :) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I know, I could actually move to Hull (ish) and live like a king.

Birch Place, Brough
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52376973.html

Brough is well posh

Fack me that's a lot of house for £250k!

Similar property down here would be well in excess of £550k

Edited by Izzy Muzzett

Just now, Rogstanley said:

Not going to argue. It does look proper cheap in Hull.

This one even has a fire place in the bathroom.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52961409.html

All joking aside, I’m looking to move house atm. This has made me think twice about whether I should be looking to stay around here. I could save a fortune by moving north.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I know, I could actually move to Hull (ish) and live like a king.

Birch Place, Brough
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52376973.html

Damn. Not bad at all. :blink:

Not going to argue. It does look proper cheap in Hull.

This one even has a fire place in the bathroom.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52961409.html

The hell would you want a fire place in the bathroom? lol

How strange. Don't think I've ever seen that lol

9 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Don't know. There's got to be something wrong for it to be that cheap though I'm sure you would agree. 

It used to be a house of multiple occupancy, if that's relevant to anything?

Probably Hull's equivalent of Highfields.

Just now, Innovindil said:

Damn. Not bad at all. :blink:

The hell would you want a fire place in the bathroom? lol

How strange. Don't think I've ever seen that lol

Seriously you wouldn’t want a fire in the bathroom, why not? That would be heaven, in the tub, fire  crackling, brandy in one hand.....

• Like 1

All joking aside, I’m looking to move house atm. This has made me think twice about whether I should be looking to stay around here. I could save a fortune by moving north.

The north east, Sunderland, Middlesborough area is cheap as well. As is Stoke. The problem in all these areas is finding well paid work. No point moving somewhere cheap just to have a proportioate drop in earnings. Better to move somewhere expensive with a proportionate rise in earnings.

Just now, Strokes said:

Seriously you wouldn’t want a fire in the bathroom, why not? That would be heaven, in the tub, fire  crackling, brandy in one hand.....

I have a bathtub and a walk-in shower.

The bathtub gets used about once a month. Ain't no one got time for that crap.

Fire in the dining room >>>>>>> 

I work for a company up north mate and when you go up there it's like going back in time 20 years. 

it's so weird.

it's great visiting for a few days but I'd feel well out of place if I moved there.

I did however just visit Edinburgh for a few days for work and that is proper ****ing decent. the people there are awesome and it's a great city - would move there in an instant tbh. would be v. expensive though. 

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

People take the piss out of Hull but they've spent a lot of money on it over the last 10 years (city of culture and all that). The Marina area is really nice now.

The folk up there are good as gold and we were always made to feel really welcome. Only problem is it's a bit isolated but you can get to Scarborough, York and nice places within an hour.

• Like 1

The north east, Sunderland, Middlesborough area is cheap as well. As is Stoke. The problem in all these areas is finding well paid work. No point moving somewhere cheap just to have a proportioate drop in earnings. Better to move somewhere expensive with a proportionate rise in earnings.

I work from home nationwide so it makes no difference to me where I’m based, I doubt my wife would be keen on a commute to the LRI though.

A girl I work with has just purchased a house up in leeds that has a ****ing shower built into the bedroom wall - I shit you not.

it's not an en-suite, just a shower, in the wall.

imagine a walk in shower recessed into the wall. tiled out, door on it. 

wtf. 

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

People take the piss out of Hull but they've spent a lot of money on it over the last 10 years (city of culture and all that). The Marina area is really nice now.

The folk up there are good as gold and we were always made to feel really welcome. Only problem is it's a bit isolated but you can get to Scarborough, York and nice places within an hour.

I like Scarborough. Got told it was pretty crap but went with all the extended family last year. Was a decent trip tbf.

• Like 1

Just now, Strokes said:

I work from home nationwide so it makes no difference to me where I’m based, I doubt my wife would be keen on a commute to the LRI though.

Just a guess but I'm thinking they might have a hospital there.

Somebody has to deal with all the stabbings...

1 minute ago, lifted*fox said:

I work for a company up north mate and when you go up there it's like going back in time 20 years. 

it's so weird.

it's great visiting for a few days but I'd feel well out of place if I moved there.

I did however just visit Edinburgh for a few days for work and that is proper ****ing decent. the people there are awesome and it's a great city - would move there in an instant tbh. would be v. expensive though. 

Yeah if you look out onto the street I’m living in at the minute and it’s as bad as any of these. I agree about Edinburgh though, we have some friends who live out there and we stop with them most summers and it’s great.

8 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I used to rent this house on Grove Street in Hull about 20 years ago :)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-70944602.html

Right near the town center and close to all the amenities. My mates used to come up and visit and say how cheap it was to eat and rink out there. It's never dull in Hull :) 

latest?cb=20121229154445&path-prefix=fr

?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FIF said:

Suprising as it may be to you Voll Blau, I was an 18 year old once. I actually left home at 18 and lived in a little bedsit which I could afford with the small wages I earned. You can go with the name calling if you wish. And you can find excuses why some of the richest 18 year olds on the planet can't rent or stay at home whilst they earn enough to buy a house if that is their desire. You can argue that they should have their cake and eat it by expecting what most of the world's 18 year olds think of as luxuries and expect to own a home and drink and smoke. 

The world doesn't work that way. they are fortunate enough to be born into the society that they are. They have to make choices, they can't have everything. If they want to buy their own home (which I don't really understand since as you infer they may have to move to work) they have to sacrifice having something else. I did as did most other homeowners - maybe you, I don't know your situation or even which country you are living in.

My other point was that the problem lies with the government and maybe with the community breakdown in our egoist outlook and not with the landlords. Go question your MP and break the heriditary domination of the few before you attack those working within the law to make their own and their families lives better.

You're full of shit. Its not about luxuries or whatever for the most part, for the vast majority it's a case of wages too low, house prices too high and even rental prices too high, stopping people from saving considerable amounts.

Rather than pretending its too many avocado sandwiches, perhaps you should look at shoeboxes costing £500pcm, people having to spend a third of their pay each month on rent (dead money) for something that, thanks to some landlords in parliament, doesn't even have to be habitable.

• Like 2