Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

1 minute ago, Wymeswold fox said:

God doesn't exist.

The world was created through planets colliding into each other.

Then who put humans on the planet? :dunno:

And if you reckon we evolved from apes or dolphins or amoeba or whatever, who put them there in the first place? 

Just asking like :)

8 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Then who put humans on the planet? :dunno:

And if you reckon we evolved from apes or dolphins or amoeba or whatever, who put them there in the first place? 

Just asking like :)

Luck - either through extraordinary chemical synthesis or arrival from a different planet.  

There honestly doesn't have to be a "big plan" by some kind of entity when luck works just as well or better - and my unpopular opinion on the topic is that people most often think there is that kind of plan simply because, as a shortlived organic being in a vast, stark, long-lived and above all random Universe, it makes them think that they somehow matter.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Buce said:

How disappointing. 

I rather enjoyed the thought of you trolling the Little Englanders with it. 

Do you think the average little Englander would seriously know what it is or the story behind it?

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Do you think the average little Englander would seriously know what it is or the story behind it?

I’d tell you what I guy I work with said but I wouldn’t want to make his views public. To put it bluntly, it’s was an outrageously racist comment.

8 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Luck - either through extraordinary chemical synthesis or arrival from a different planet.  

There honestly doesn't have to be a "big plan" by some kind of entity when luck works just as well or better - and my unpopular opinion on the topic is that people most often think there is that kind of plan simply because, as a shortlived organic being in a vast, stark, long-lived and above all random Universe, it makes them think that they somehow matter.

Interesting Mac, and I couldn’t disagree more :D

Sorry but I don’t believe it’s all random luck. There’s too many species, plants, flowers, fauna etc. for it all to be just luck imo.

I’ll believe the ‘arrival from another planet’ bit when someone proves there’s life on other planets - but as yet we don’t know.

The world is too beautiful beyond words to just be a result of some sort of luck. There must have been a creator at the start of it all I believe..

2 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Sorry but I don’t believe it’s all random luck. There’s too many species, plants, flowers, fauna etc. for it all to be just luck imo.

I’ll believe the ‘arrival from another planet’ bit when someone proves there’s life on other planets - but as yet we don’t know.

The world is too beautiful beyond words to just be a result of some sort of luck. There must have been a creator at the start of it all I believe..

There is life on this planet you can’t see with your eyes, I’m absolutely certain there will be other forms of life out in space somewhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

There is life on this planet you can’t see with your eyes, I’m absolutely certain there will be other forms of life out in space somewhere.

Could well be. Don’t think they’ll discover it in our lifetime though so we’ll probably never know.

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

That's fair, and it is one of the great debates.

To be honest my own more comprehensive take on it is this: whether it is luck or the acts of a deity that caused and cause the actions of the Universe is actually pretty irrelevant because, being the flawed humans that we are, we would never be able to distinguish between the two anyway. If we knew how such a being operated then we'd have power approaching that of that being ourselves, so to speak.

As such, even as a scientist, personal religious belief doesn't bother me all that much - it's when it gets organised and people start treating it as special to humans in particular that the problem arises IMO.

3 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Could well be. Don’t think they’ll discover it in our lifetime though so we’ll probably never know.

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I'd bet good money that simple microbial life is found on Europa or Enceladus within the next 50 years.

• Like 1

Just now, leicsmac said:

I'd bet good money that simple microbial life is found on Europa or Enceladus within the next 50 years.

I genuinely don’t know much in the science world Mac but I’ve a new found interest in space since my son became obsessed with it and obviously I want to share his interests. 

14 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

That's fair, and it is one of the great debates.

To be honest my own more comprehensive take on it is this: whether it is luck or the acts of a deity that caused and cause the actions of the Universe is actually pretty irrelevant because, being the flawed humans that we are, we would never be able to distinguish between the two anyway. If we knew how such a being operated then we'd have power approaching that of that being ourselves, so to speak.

As such, even as a scientist, personal religious belief doesn't bother me all that much - it's when it gets organised and people start treating it as special to humans in particular that the problem arises IMO.

OK, here’s an unpopular opinion for you...

We are all god :thumbup: 

http://www.iawwai.com/EveryoneIsGod.htm

Please don’t ask me to explain because it’s more of a feeling for me.

I do agree with you on the whole organised region thing, it’s the cause of so much pain in the world.

I still think someone/thing created the whole set up and then left us alone to fvck it all up :D

Edited by Izzy Muzzett

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

and my unpopular opinion on the topic is that people most often think there is that kind of plan simply because, as a shortlived organic being in a vast, stark, long-lived and above all random Universe, it makes them think that they somehow matter.

I clearly remember the day, not long after my best friend died; I completely came to terms with the fact that we're just insignificant dots, on an insignificant planet and that none of this means anything in the end - nothing actually matters. It's just science evolving and science dying out. There's no god, there's no 'your time'. It's all just a sequence of events, randomly happening. 

I guess an existential crisis. It makes you feel small and pointless, and sad. Why bother with anything, really?

And it's a hard feeling to shake, once you've given it too much thought. It's not about money or property or material things. It's about feeling fulfilled and feeling like your making a difference in your short time here. And sometimes it's easy to feel like your not making a difference at all and it's just a waste of time. 

Other times it's quite a freeing feeling - knowing that all of your biggest decisions mean little when you know they'll all be long forgotten eventually. Why put yourself through the grinder - just kick back, relax and let it all pass you by.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

I genuinely don’t know much in the science world Mac but I’ve a new found interest in space since my son became obsessed with it and obviously I want to share his interests. 

That's really great to hear! Glad you're encouraging that interest and getting into it yourself.

If you ever need any book or article recommendations, let me know. :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Please don’t ask me to explain because it’s more of a feeling. 

I do agree with you on the whole organised region thing, it’s the cause of so much pain in the world.

I still think someone/thing created the whole set up and then left us alone to fvck it all up :D

The ultimate reality TV. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, lifted*fox said:

I clearly remember the day, not long after my best friend died; I completely came to terms with the fact that we're just insignificant dots, on an insignificant planet and that none of this means anything in the end - nothing actually matters. It's just science evolving and science dying out. There's no god, there's no 'your time'. It's all just a sequence of events, randomly happening. 

I guess an existential crisis. It makes you feel small and pointless, and sad. Why bother with anything, really?

And it's a hard feeling to shake, once you've given it too much thought. It's not about money or property or material things. It's about feeling fulfilled and feeling like your making a difference in your short time here. And sometimes it's easy to feel like your not making a difference at all and it's just a waste of time. 

Other times it's quite a freeing feeling - knowing that all of your biggest decisions mean little when you know they'll all be long forgotten eventually. Why put yourself through the grinder - just kick back, relax and let it all pass you by.

Yeah, it's a difficult thing to deal with, and everyone tries to handle it in different ways.

8 hours ago, MattP said:

Well, it was widely reported in the media and I’ve no reason to believe they don’t read newspapers or watch the news. 

Or are you suggesting they live in a bubble?

20 hours ago, Lovejoy said:

I work in London and will back you up there mate, I don't have a lot of time for people here. I find an awful lot of London folk are very self-obsessed and status is everything.

You'll also find that today, people that come from London don't tend to come from London - if that makes sense. 

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

Well, it was widely reported in the media and I’ve no reason to believe they don’t read newspapers or watch the news. 

Aside from this particular story, I’ve noticed it’s much easier to miss news in modern times. For example, I don’t listen to the radio or buy newspapers anymore, I don’t have facilities for scheduled tv, so no news channels or programs unless I go looking for it. I don’t have any kind of social media accounts unless you count this place, so I can genuinely completely miss news stories these days.

8 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Aside from this particular story, I’ve noticed it’s much easier to miss news in modern times. For example, I don’t listen to the radio or buy newspapers anymore, I don’t have facilities for scheduled tv, so no news channels or programs unless I go looking for it. I don’t have any kind of social media accounts unless you count this place, so I can genuinely completely miss news stories these days.

I find it quite the opposite.

Like you, I don't buy newspapers or use social media but I do access internet news channels, though tbf I do tend to look most for what interests me.

12 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Strokes - the world has ended but nobody has told us. When we first moved to Rural France we didn't follow news of any kind and just enjoyed the outdoors and the sun, we really felt that the world could have ended and we'd know nothing about it.

22 minutes ago, Buce said:

People access personal news much more these days - especially the younger generation, however I think many people will hear news without really understanding it. We may be the most intelligent humans of all time but most of us are stupid.

7 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

I think this is my take. There's no need to worry, just enjoy your short life because we are insignificant. Sad that celebrities and poloticians don't realise that too. Whilst we may all be the centre of our own lives we are nothing to almost everyone else. Which is why war and inequality exists so easily.

8 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

http://www.iawwai.com/EveryoneIsGod.htm

Please don’t ask me to explain because it’s more of a feeling for me.

A creator. It's as believable as the big bang from nothing I suppose. Our minds are incapable of understanding the change of nothing to something. My take is that whether there is/was a creator or not (and I don't think there was), if that creator is doing sweet FA to help his creations and allowing them to have sad, piteous lives then it doesn't deserve to exist or to be praised.

But then again it's all about the after-life isn't it? :riyad: