Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

14 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

Well with phones, designer clothes etc people are free to simply ignore and not buy them. People need homes to live in! Food hasn't really gone up in price higher than inflation or earnings so I don't think that's worth bringing up. House prices have hugely outpaced incomes.

Do you accept that buy-to-let landlords have inflated house prices? (of course this being only one factor in a sea of many).

If you do, do you simply not care about the effect this has on aspiring first time buyers?

I'm not looking to attack you here by the way FIF if you are a BTL landlord, just argue the toss fairly! (although I do have a bee in my bonnet about them at the moment for persona reasons)

I'm not a BTL landlord DN.

People don't actually need a home - well most people - they are living in their parent's home with their own bedroom until 18 then they think they NEED a home of their own. Mostly it's a fallacy. My point is that if they stay at home for an extra couple of years and don't spend their money on stupid luxuries like Iphones and designer gear and cigarettes and Alcohol they will soon have the deposit they need to buy their own house. Problem is most "kids" want and expect everything straight away. To buy a house you have to sacrifice some fun things.

You are blaming BTL landlords for a simple economic consequence of living in a capitalist oriented economy whilst not wanting to go without other consequences of the system.

Perhaos blame the govt. for not having a reserve of houses to give you.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

People don't actually need a home - well most people - they are living in their parent's home with their own bedroom until 18 then they think they NEED a home of their own. Mostly it's a fallacy. My point is that if they stay at home for an extra couple of years and don't spend their money on stupid luxuries like Iphones and designer gear and cigarettes and Alcohol they will soon have the deposit they need to buy their own house. Problem is most "kids" want and expect everything straight away. To buy a house you have to sacrifice some fun things.

You are blaming BTL landlords for a simple economic consequence of living in a capitalist oriented economy whilst not wanting to go without other consequences of the system.

You know what kind of wages 18-year-olds earn right? And that many have no choice but to move away from the area they grew up in in order to get work or better themselves through higher education? If you think the majority of teenagers are driven solely by a clamour for luxury items, and that immediately abandoning this lifestyle would suddenly make them homeowners by the time they hit their early 20s, then you're deluded.

• Like 1

On 24/02/2018 at 21:15, foxfanazer said:

The Otis Redding song ‘Sitting on the dock of the bay’ is shit. Boring! 

Shit might be harsh actually but it’s overrated 

Foundations - Build me up Buttercup. It boils my blood how shit that song is but because it's old and a little bit catchy it's supposedly some sort of "classic".

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

You know what kind of wages 18-year-olds earn right? And that many have no choice but to move away from the area they grew up in in order to get work or better themselves through higher education? If you think the majority of teenagers are driven solely by a clamour for luxury items, and that immediately abandoning this lifestyle would suddenly make them homeowners by the time they hit their early 20s, then you're deluded.

Don't think he's deluded, just simplistic. 

If an 18 year old works full time but stays at home til he/she is 21, those 3 years should be more than enough time to save up a 5% deposit on a small house. After they turn 21 their wages go up to around the £7/hour mark, meaning they make around £250/wk (on a standard 37hr week). My house bills for a 3 bed in Leicester come to just over £1k/month, should be fairly doable between a couple of people on the minimum. 

Admittedly house prices everywhere aren't as cheap as they are in leicester, but that's a different kettle of fish. 

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

If an 18 year old works full time but stays at home til he/she is 21, those 3 years should be more than enough time to save up a 5% deposit on a small house. After they turn 21 their wages go up to around the £7/hour mark, meaning they make around £250/wk (on a standard 37hr week). My house bills for a 3 bed in Leicester come to just over £1k/month, should be fairly doable between a couple of people on the minimum. 

Admittedly house prices everywhere aren't as cheap as they are in leicester, but that's a different kettle of fish. 

As you say though, that's being simplistic. There are plenty of other factors at play in the vast majority of people's lives, including the two that immediately came to mind for me, that mean that it's simply not possible for most - and blaming the fact kids just want "stupid luxuries" is way wide of the mark.

Don't forget as well that at 18+ a fair number of parents start asking their kids to pay for their board - granted it's not what you'd have to pay on rent elsewhere, but it's not insignificant in terms of allowing someone of that age to budget/save adequately either.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

As you say though, that's being simplistic. There are plenty of other factors at play in the vast majority of people's lives, including the two that immediately came to mind for me, that mean that it's simply not possible for most - and blaming the fact kids just want "stupid luxuries" is way wide of the mark.

Don't forget as well that at 18+ a fair number of parents start asking their kids to pay for their board - granted it's not what you'd have to pay on rent elsewhere, but it's not insignificant in terms of allowing someone of that age to budget/save adequately either.

I know and I get it, I'm just playing devil's advocate. 

I rented from a fairly early age and kept getting asked why I didn't just buy my own place, since the mortgage payments are practically the same as the rent payments. I said I couldn't afford the deposit, because of one of the other factors you mentioned. I do wonder how many are in the same position, I earned enough that I could save over time while renting, how many don't? How many would buy if there were 100% mortgages like there used to be? 

It's pretty much why I gave that whole "give everyone £10k" thinktank thing that popped up a couple of weeks ago some thought. Quite curious to think just how many that currently rent would use that money for a deposit on a house. 

As for the paying board to parents part, I honestly wouldn't know, I doubt my contributions while growing up were the same as others, so you'd have to give me a rough figure to work with. In any case, I did some rough math, again working in the leicester area since that's pretty much all I have to go on, and for the 3 years between 18-21, if you'd want to save enough to put the same deposit I put down, it would be about £46/wk. To me, it doesn't sound beyond the realm of possibility. 

People who chant "live and let live" but have no problem running their mouth about other people's personal life choices are the biggest hypocrites.

And yeah, also the people who throw around the "phobics" everytime someone doesn't stand in the front row rooting for them. 

2 hours ago, FIF said:

I agree,with alot of what you say Here.But the Low Order decent rented accomadation is still

rare,and too expensive.Plus for people struggling,there are still too many Landlords,

Asking for Rent,over the odds,knowing the govt/council will pay.

Like you say,too many want to Walk in a ready made mansion,for their 1st House.

During the late, 60s people Like my older Sisters,Started married Life,renting then saved,

For their 1st small Home,then 2nd and 3rd. One could say moving from Wclass,Into

Middle-class,with hubbies having,that Level of Jobs,with answerability. 

Through those 1st years, 2nd hand,or Passes down furniture,Mixed with new Home

Dressings. Tv /stereoes yes but Not new,or the biggest going around.

Ditto for me,in the 80s-90s,courting and early married years,but I was living then

in different countries overseas,but the principal was the Same...exception...

More foreign couples,or singles were willing to sacrifice the big Holidays,or

Long nice weekends. I bought my House late,after delibrately deciding to

travel the world with our 1st 2 Kids,then deciding Afterwards where Home/our Life

will be.We had then another 2. Never saying first we 1st must have Money for Kids.

We have No Show House,but our own built Home,No Delux furnishings,or best new

Electric goods.The Kids when Growing Up,had to finance their own Handy/mobiles.

I worked in IT,so my son and myself,slowly built Up a decent PC,then by Hook or by

Crook,invested in Laptops for my 3 various age daughters ,school and later education needs.

With 4 Kids,all understood there was Limits,on clothes( Mode), Toys etc.

They all had small,then big cycles,the latter being Payed (towards)from their own

Pocket-Money or pre-career Job earnings.

Too many I feel,want the luxury ,everything,"must have" seconds,without earning,saving,

making sacrifices, for them..whatever that "them" is.

I mean ffs 2-3 tvs,IT- Phones Tablets, big new Cars, on AVG earnings,then Holidays...

Then complain they cant afford,their own decent Rent/own Home...

Or Media and TV-docus,are giving me the wrong Impression,and Interview Relations

of the always moaning- foxestalk posters.:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Wookie said:

Generational conflict really is weird, millennialsare much maligned (rightly so in a lot of cases) but remarks like “they should stop buying avocados” or “make sandwiches at home instead of meal deals then they could buy a house” are ignorant at best but generally I get the feeling it’s a sense of passing the buck. 

In the UK house prices are expensive, we all know that but the reason young people can’t afford houses is that the housing stock is low, wages and housing costs haven’t stayed in line, as well as the earning power of 18-24 years olds being weak. If anything these conditions were caused by the preceding generation.

Undoubtedly, there are lads and lasses that are similar ages to myself that live for the weekend, are financially irresponsible and aren’t going to afford a deposit anytime soon but the idea that young adults are obsessed with luxuries is disingenuous. 

Shut up and keep drinking that fancy £4 Starbucks coffee people your age apparently all drink three times a day. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Suprising as it may be to you Voll Blau, I was an 18 year old once. I actually left home at 18 and lived in a little bedsit which I could afford with the small wages I earned. You can go with the name calling if you wish. And you can find excuses why some of the richest 18 year olds on the planet can't rent or stay at home whilst they earn enough to buy a house if that is their desire. You can argue that they should have their cake and eat it by expecting what most of the world's 18 year olds think of as luxuries and expect to own a home and drink and smoke. 

The world doesn't work that way. they are fortunate enough to be born into the society that they are. They have to make choices, they can't have everything. If they want to buy their own home (which I don't really understand since as you infer they may have to move to work) they have to sacrifice having something else. I did as did most other homeowners - maybe you, I don't know your situation or even which country you are living in.

My other point was that the problem lies with the government and maybe with the community breakdown in our egoist outlook and not with the landlords. Go question your MP and break the heriditary domination of the few before you attack those working within the law to make their own and their families lives better.

1 hour ago, Wookie said:

Generational conflict really is weird, millennialsare much maligned (rightly so in a lot of cases) but remarks like “they should stop buying avocados” or “make sandwiches at home instead of meal deals then they could buy a house” are ignorant at best but generally I get the feeling it’s a sense of passing the buck. 

In the UK house prices are expensive, we all know that but the reason young people can’t afford houses is that the housing stock is low, wages and housing costs haven’t stayed in line, as well as the earning power of 18-24 years olds being weak. If anything these conditions were caused by the preceding generation.

Undoubtedly, there are lads and lasses that are similar ages to myself that live for the weekend, are financially irresponsible and aren’t going to afford a deposit anytime soon but the idea that young adults are obsessed with luxuries is disingenuous. 

Living for the weekend IS living for luxuries, I have no problem at all with people living for luxuries. It's the beauty of choice. People just can't have everything. 

Owning a house is not necessarily something that an 18 - 24 year old should be able to do, But if they choose to that's great, something else has to be sacrificed. 

OWNING a house is NOT a need - having somewhere to live is a need, those are 2 completely different things. Am I clear yet?

11 minutes ago, FIF said:

Living for the weekend IS living for luxuries, I have no problem at all with people living for luxuries. It's the beauty of choice. People just can't have everything. 

Owning a house is not necessarily something that an 18 - 24 year old should be able to do, But if they choose to that's great, something else has to be sacrificed. 

OWNING a house is NOT a need - having somewhere to live is a need, those are 2 completely different things. Am I clear yet?

I don't disagree.

2 hours ago, Wookie said:

Generational conflict really is weird, millennials are much maligned (rightly so in a lot of cases) but remarks like “they should stop buying avocados” or “make sandwiches at home instead of meal deals then they could buy a house” are ignorant at best but generally I get the feeling it’s a sense of passing the buck. 

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Suprising as it may be to you Voll Blau, I was an 18 year old once. I actually left home at 18 and lived in a little bedsit which I could afford with the small wages I earned. You can go with the name calling if you wish. And you can find excuses why some of the richest 18 year olds on the planet can't rent or stay at home whilst they earn enough to buy a house if that is their desire. You can argue that they should have their cake and eat it by expecting what most of the world's 18 year olds think of as luxuries and expect to own a home and drink and smoke. 

The world doesn't work that way. they are fortunate enough to be born into the society that they are. They have to make choices, they can't have everything. If they want to buy their own home (which I don't really understand since as you infer they may have to move to work) they have to sacrifice having something else. I did as did most other homeowners - maybe you, I don't know your situation or even which country you are living in.

My other point was that the problem lies with the government and maybe with the community breakdown in our egoist outlook and not with the landlords. Go question your MP and break the heriditary domination of the few before you attack those working within the law to make their own and their families lives better.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

There's a nice middle in those varying and accompanying Posts. 

6 hours ago, Innovindil said:

£7 per hour us about £13k per year. Maximum mortgage multiple of about 4.5x income. So the max they could borrow would be £58k. Even in the cheapest areas of the country, you're not getting a habitable house for £58k.

Just now, Rogstanley said:

£7 per hour us about £13k per year. Maximum mortgage multiple of about 4.5x income. So the max they could borrow would be £58k. Even in the cheapest areas of the country, you're not getting a habitable house for £58k.

You see the "fairly doable between a couple of people" bit right?

5 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

You see the "fairly doable between a couple of people" bit right?

Then the multiple goes down to about 3x joint salary, maybe a bit more if they both have impeccable credit ratings. Realistically an average couple of £13k each is going to be able to borrow about £75k, which is still not enough to buy the cheapest habitable house in the cheapest areas of the country.

Edited by Rogstanley

2 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Then the multiple goes down to about 3x joint salary, maybe a bit more if they both have impeccable credit ratings. Realistically an average couple of £13k each is going to be able to borrow about £75k, which is still not enough to buy the cheapest habitable house in the cheapest areas of the country.

Gee Street, Hull
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69965933.html

Decent budget in Hull tbf.

4 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Then the multiple goes down to about 3x joint salary, maybe 3.5 a bit more if they both have impeccable credit ratings. Realistically an average couple of £13k each is going to be able to borrow about £75k, which is still not enough to buy the cheapest habitable house in the cheapest areas of the country.

Really? Just put 2 x £13k/yr salaries into the calculator and it says could get upto £91k. 

Could be bull though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯