Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SemperEadem

Learning another language.

16 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

The key to learning any language is immersion so I'd go with the German version.  I'd also recommend watching a lot of films in English with German subtitles:.

No of course, I'm just not sure if receiving the explanation in another language could be tricky even with subtitles. But as I think about it, it's effectively the same as when we first learn English anyway.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
Just now, Daggers said:

Does it work for you? Can't say I'm one for Zoom things.

Yes I like it for trying to get the accent halfway correct. Probably 95% of my usage is my own online learning and only 5% is the one to one stuff, but yes I find it helpful for tips. You don't get it with every option either I don't think, so if you wouldn't use it you'd probably be able to go for a cheaper level. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Daggers said:

Yo WAAAAAAAAAAAANT uno beeero.

Sì grazie! If you have access to the various Italian tv channels such as Rai 1, which are transmitted free-to-air on Eutelsat 5A/B at 5 degrees west (or maybe can be watched using a VPN), then that's a great way to 'absorb' the language. The benefits of doing this are augmented by being able to watch various sports including football, loads of American films (in English) on Rai 4, and then there are those seriously sexy Italian newsreaders and tv presenters. Tbh, it's a bit tricky to focus on the lingo sometimes....! 

Legs1.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Daggers said:

Going to learn Italian.

Any recommendations? Started with Duolingo.

Bear in mind no matter how much you learn there's a good chance you'll end up talking to somebody with an impenetrable local accent or dialect

• Like 1

Just now, bovril said:

Bear in mind no matter how much you learn there's a good chance you'll end up talking to somebody with an impenetrable local accent or dialect

Already speak French, Spanish and Latin, and lived in South America for six years.

29 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Already speak French, Spanish and Latin, and lived in South America for six years.

If you can understand Andalusian and Argentinian Spanish (assuming you didn't live there) then fair play. 

I speak Spanish to B1/B2 level and still find it almost impossible to understand the above.

Edited by martyn

43 minutes ago, martyn said:

If you can understand Andalusian and Argentinian Spanish (assuming you didn't live there) then fair play. 

I speak Spanish to B1/B2 level and still find it almost impossible to understand the above.

Colombian Spanish ran from amphetamine fast in the Cordilleras down to a Norfolk drawl by the donkey shagging coasts. Ecuadorean was so polite and enunciated in comparison, while Venezuelan seemed more industrial and guttural. Argentinians spoke like they had an overdubbed white noise machine - and that’s when it wasn’t smeared into the constantly slurping maté. 

I learnt most of mine by chatting to drunk people in bars when off my face in Cali. My accent now confuses people as they assume I’ve had the best part of a bottle of aguardiente for breakfast. It’s pretty much Argentinian levels of incomprehensible. lol

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Colombian Spanish ran from amphetamine fast in the Cordilleras down to a Norfolk drawl by the donkey shagging coasts. Ecuadorean was so polite and enunciated in comparison, while Venezuelan seemed more industrial and guttural. Argentinians spoke like they had an overdubbed white noise machine - and that’s when it wasn’t smeared into the constantly slurping maté. 

I learnt most of mine by chatting to drunk people in bars when off my face in Cali. My accent now confuses people as they assume I’ve had the best part of a bottle of aguardiente for breakfast. It’s pretty much Argentinian levels of incomprehensible. lol

I have no experience of Latin America but dialects vary quite considerably in Italy. There's a famous (though possibly untrue) story that the Sicilian scenes in Godfather Part II had to be subtitled when released in Italy. I did teach in small towns in Sicily where some kids wanted English words translated into Sicilian, not Italian. With my Germanic appearance and crappy pronunciation, southern Italians often thought I was from like Trento or Trieste. 

Having said all that, the vast majority of people speak standard Italian with an accent, which you won't have a problem understanding. 

If you speak fluent Spanish I imagine the biggest problem you'll have with Italian is automatically using Spanish vocab for some time. But that would still probably be comprehensible. 

Where are you planning to go? 

4 minutes ago, bovril said:

I have no experience of Latin America but dialects vary quite considerably in Italy. There's a famous (though possibly untrue) story that the Sicilian scenes in Godfather Part II had to be subtitled when released in Italy. I did teach in small towns in Sicily where some kids wanted English words translated into Sicilian, not Italian. With my Germanic appearance and crappy pronunciation, southern Italians often thought I was from like Trento or Trieste. 

Having said all that, the vast majority of people speak standard Italian with an accent, which you won't have a problem understanding. 

If you speak fluent Spanish I imagine the biggest problem you'll have with Italian is automatically using Spanish vocab for some time. But that would still probably be comprehensible. 

Where are you planning to go? 

Conflating different languages is a frequent issue when tired or drunk - and I’ve been known to go full ‘ow you say’ Shteeve Mclaren at times too lol.

Roma, Firenze and Napoli

• 1 month later...

I’ve been hitting Duolingo for 60 straight days now. Found myself getting wrapped up in winning weekly leagues but am finally throwing in the towel and accepting second place this week. 

Did about six and a half hours yesterday to pile on the points only to wake and find someone has somehow overtaken me. Don’t have it in me to replicate yesterday’s study for three more days. 

Va bene, puoi vincere. 

3 minutes ago, FoxyPV said:

Memrise is a good app to use as well

Funnily enough, I tried Irish for a bit.

It blows my mind that Wales/Welsh gets so much stick for pronunciation and the Irish largely get off the hook. It's an absolutely batshit language. Anyone wondering where all the vowels went from Welsh - the answer is Irish raiders ran off with them all around 53AD apparently. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Funnily enough, I tried Irish for a bit.

It blows my mind that Wales/Welsh gets so much stick for pronunciation and the Irish largely get off the hook. It's an absolutely batshit language. Anyone wondering where all the vowels went from Welsh - the answer is Irish raiders ran off with them all around 53AD apparently. 

I hate Irish names - they always look at you funny when you get them wrong.

If it happens one more time I'm changing my name to Kraftfahrzeug-Haftpflichtversicherung and see how they like it.