Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

I'm Old Enough To Remember...

11 hours ago, STEVIE B said:

We had a nutter of a teacher, he would throw chalk and the blackboard Rubber at us ! He was Welsh, had a glass eye ( his aim wasn’t always true ) and lived 2 houses away from our house. I received no preferential treatment from Mr Roberts.

It was obligatory then. Our blackboard rubber thrower wasn't Welsh and supported Bristol Rovers. 

I have tried since I saw this thread to remember who the unfortunate teacher was, who allowed himself to be enticed into his stock room by a couple of my mates who promptly slammed the door, locked it and ran off. Teachers had to be pretty tough then! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Crinklyfox said:

One more - I'd obviously tried to bury it deep in my subconscious

Hard toilet paper - Izal medicated

When I left Leicester and moved to London all public authorities had hard bog paper and any organisation worth its' salt had each sheet imprinted with a message on the lines of 'PROPERTY OF THE GREATER LONDON COUNCIL'.At least their bogs were amply proportioned, if rather frigid in winter, with nice wooden seats. Unlike the wretched council efforts in my part of the West Country which have an electronic timer on the lock and intone a verbal warning before unceremoniously flinging the door wide open while you are in the midst of dropping a number two!!!

12 hours ago, Webbo said:

Does anyone remember the Reg Vrady "what made Wally faint" ad? So shit it was hilarious. I tried looking for it on YouTube but no luck.

Are you sure it wasn’t a Swithland Motors advert? Fairly certain they used that Wally line, actually saw one being made walking home from school one day in Mountsorrel.:D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, promised land said:

Are you sure it wasn’t a Swithland Motors advert? Fairly certain they used that Wally line, actually saw one being made walking home from school one day in Mountsorrel.:D

Yes it was the Swithland Motors advert.

The company eventually went bust and the directors were sent to jail for fraudulent trading.

20 hours ago, Webbo said:

Does anyone remember the Reg Vrady "what made Wally faint" ad? So shit it was hilarious. I tried looking for it on YouTube but no luck.

8 hours ago, promised land said:

2 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Yes it was the Swithland Motors advert.

The company eventually went bust and the directors were sent to jail for fraudulent trading.

10 hours ago, davieG said:

When you could buy 7 pint cans of beer.

12PageIMG92-5.jpg

On closer examination it's of people enjoying themselves, but at first glance the picture looks like the inside of a derelict working men's club, which is presumably what your insides would feel like after consuming one of these

On 30/12/2017 at 20:57, Blue ROI said:

Riesen - The Chocolate Chew!

Kelloggs Banana Buubles/Start/Sustain cereals

The Sustain ad with Tim Henman

You can still buy Riesen (Poundland, Sainsbury's and a few other places) and Start. Banana Bubbles I think made a very shortlived return as Banana Rice Krispies but weren't around long, I used to love them

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

On closer examination it's of people enjoying themselves, but at first glance the picture looks like the inside of a derelict working men's club, which is presumably what your insides would feel like after consuming one of these

I can't begin to tell you how disgusting this stuff was.

The only thing worse was their Party Four Mild (they didn't do mild in a Party Seven - I assume because nobody could avoid acute diarrhoea long enough to finish one).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

They were usually drunk after a night in the pub so you probably didn't care until the next morning. I was never able to finish one but there was always someone who would oblige.

I think they only existed because the pubs shut so early and we're good for taking to house parties.

Smoking at my desk at the office, whilst on the phone to clients, etc, at the back of buses, at the rear of planes, in bed, whilst holding infant relatives, on the dance floor when drunk, in restaurants.

Wow.  And I don’t think I was a heavy smoker.

1 hour ago, Vacamion said:

Smoking at my desk at the office, whilst on the phone to clients, etc, at the back of buses, at the rear of planes, in bed, whilst holding infant relatives, on the dance floor when drunk, in restaurants.

And at the back of the Cinema, stood in Pen 3, in the Taxi, pretty much anywhere! 

Disgusting when you think back but just the norm back then I guess!

Edited by Izzy Muzzett

Single glazing, and getting ice on the inside of the panes

Losing at a fair and being burdened with a goldfish "prize"

Landline phones with a dial and how newer service numbers didn't work without touchtone. Also Loughborough area being 0509 and how many people kicked up a stink when it became 01509

The kid's pullout of the Telegraph

Games Reserve and other mail order games services where you had to select 3 video games you wanted in order, in case one or two weren't in stock.

Attended petrol pumps

Woolworth's pick and mix

The "birth" of mobile phones (not those shitty 80's brick ones that no one actually owned) - I had a Phillips BT Cellnet piece of shit that could call/text, and that was it. If you failed to top up £30 per month they cut off your service

The "birth" of the internet - again, it was supposedly around in the 80's but the public didn't really have access to it. Many websites would have a black and white header image so it could load at a reasonable time on 26kb modems. Early search engines were useless and many only gathered results from a pre-existing sponsored list so you needed to know the full address.

Kali sugar. That was lovely stuff, just seemed to vanish in the early 90's

Trawling around the county villages after 11 on a Saturday night trying to find a pub still open and where the local copper would turn a blind eye usually at the end of the bar.

All done in a mates car after he'd had a skinful. Still seemed like a better driver than many.

Different times indeed.

11 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

2 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

And at the back of the Cinema, stood in Pen 3, in the Taxi, pretty much anywhere! 

Disgusting when you think back but just the norm back then I yes!

Back in my travelling days, I worked as a taxi driver for a couple of months to fund my next adventure; every Saturday night, I was hired for the evening by a Rastafarian drug dealer to take him on his home deliveries. He always had a huge spliff on, and being in an enclosed space I ended up as stoned as he was.

Happy days.

1 minute ago, Buce said:

Back in my travelling days, I worked as a taxi driver for a couple of months to fund my next adventure; every Saturday night, I was hired for the evening by a Rastafarian drug dealer to take him on his home deliveries. He always had a huge spliff on, and being in an enclosed space I ended up as stoned as he was.

Happy days.

And you’ve never lost the taste for it since :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

Happy days.

Braunie Firth way ?? 

21 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

And you’ve never lost the taste for it since :D

lol

You know it!

Actually, he always paid me in weed, half of which I kept, the other I sold to late night fares.

The best of both worlds. :D

19 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

Braunie Firth way ?? 

Highfields.

• Like 1