Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

The dieting thread

53 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

Careful of sausage and the fillers.. also a lot of BBQ sauces are nearly 100% sugar!

Yeah ive noticed that with the sausages can be as little as 2g carbs and upto 12g. I buy the ones from Costco which come out at 4g each, so not too bad.

Regarding the sauces, i make my own nowadays or for BBQ's do dry rubs. The store bought ones (as nice as they are) are just no no, never realised it before the amount of sugar they use is a joke. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pds said:

Any other (clean) tips for good calorie burning exercise with dodgy knees? Walking miles regularly and exercise bike every day but need to mix it up a bit. Down 8lbs now in 4 weeks.

Swimming, mate.

• Like 1

Just now, pds said:

Do this occasionally also, I'm pretty blind without my contact lenses though so always struggle with swimming as it's not the best idea to wear them whilst doing so.

If you were intending to do it regularly, you can have prescription lenses fitted to swimming goggles (At least, I think so - I had them fitted to in a pair of wrap-around sunglasses and they can fit them to pretty much anything nowadays). Probably not worth the cost if it's going to be a casual thing, though.

A month today I started. 

First week I lost 7lbs, second week 3lbs, third week I gained 1lb and the fourth week I lost 0.5lbs. 

So overall pretty good and this is with a few fatty foods and pints on Saturdays too. 

I’m just hoping for it to continue lol I’ve even purchased my self a treadmill and a rower so hopefully it can.

• Like 2

Just now, pds said:

My eyesight is that bad I struggle to tell people from the walls without my contact lenses ?

Obviously keep your lenses in and wear good fitting goggles over them! You'll be able to see perfectly underwater. And won't lose your lenses. 

I wear contact lenses and use normal goggles for swimming. 

1 minute ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Obviously keep your lenses in and wear good fitting goggles over them! You'll be able to see perfectly underwater. And won't lose your lenses. 

I wear contact lenses and use normal goggles for swimming. 

That's what I normally do but read too many horror stories about infections etc.

1 minute ago, pds said:

That's what I normally do but read too many horror stories about infections etc.

There is that but I've been doing it for over 30 years all around the world and not had any problems.

I know lots of people doing the same thing but  only the optician has mentioned the scare stories.

• 2 weeks later...

Stepping up the intensity of my IF now, holiday about 7 weeks away so for the first time in a while I've got a proper end goal to work towards. Trying to condense my eating period down to 7 hours, 17 hours fasting. For the first time as well I'm much for conscious of my calorie intake. 

3 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Stepping up the intensity of my IF now, holiday about 7 weeks away so for the first time in a while I've got a proper end goal to work towards. Trying to condense my eating period down to 7 hours, 17 hours fasting. For the first time as well I'm much for conscious of my calorie intake. 

Been doing IF for a few months now. What calories are you on?

Finally decided I need to get my shit together. Birthday last weekend and after a lot of indulging on holiday I decided to weigh myself and I was 14st 3lb which is at least 2 stone overweight and probably quite a lot more too!

My weakness is fatty breakfasts and snacks at work (biscuits, cakes etc). We also have a lot of buffet lunches for visitors at work and the leftovers come up to the office where they get hoovered up by me and my colleagues!

Have downloaded an food diary app (Nutracheck) and got myself a Fitbit. The two apps dovetail nicely as Food diary app takes the data from you activity and adds it to your calorie allowance.

Have cut out the fatty breakfasts and snacks and so far have lost 3lb (only a few days in) so it's a start.

Just need to keep on it now!!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Finally decided I need to get my shit together. Birthday last weekend and after a lot of indulging on holiday I decided to weigh myself and I was 14st 3lb which is at least 2 stone overweight and probably quite a lot more too!

My weakness is fatty breakfasts and snacks at work (biscuits, cakes etc). We also have a lot of buffet lunches for visitors at work and the leftovers come up to the office where they get hoovered up by me and my colleagues!

Have downloaded an food diary app (Nutracheck) and got myself a Fitbit. The two apps dovetail nicely as Food diary app takes the data from you activity and adds it to your calorie allowance.

Have cut out the fatty breakfasts and snacks and so far have lost 3lb (only a few days in) so it's a start.

Just need to keep on it now!!

If you’ll forgive some unsolicited advice? 

There’s nothing wrong with snacks per se, in fact they regulate blood sugar levels, it’s what you snack on that matters. Replace the cakes and biscuits with something nutritious instead. Tbh, sugar and refined white flour products should be avoided for the sake of your health, whether you are overweight or not. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buce said:

If you’ll forgive some unsolicited advice? 

There’s nothing wrong with snacks per se, in fact they regulate blood sugar levels, it’s what you snack on that matters. Replace the cakes and biscuits with something nutritious instead. Tbh, sugar and refined white flour products should be avoided for the sake of your health, whether you are overweight or not. 

yeah it's sort of obvious I suppose but when you've got your head in the sand another bag of crisps or a piece of pork pie is neither here nor there! Have took healthy snacks and fruit to work this week. I'm still tempted but I've resisted so far and being able to track it on an app works for me! 

• Like 2

So end of my first week of "dieting" - to be honest, not so much of a diet as just being more sensible with choices (and not being a greedy bastard)

Result - lost 6lbs

Yesterday, I would usually had a fry up, some equally bad lunch and a take away but I had a healthy breakfast [couple of slices of grilled bacon, some mushrooms and scrambled eggs), a light lunch [Ryvita type crackers with low fat Philly and salmon with Chia seeds] and a delicious chicken curry (Slimming World recipe) for dinner. If I got hungry in between I snacked on fruit and stuff but to be honest I didn't really feel hungry.

Been shopping and got some healthy stuff in to make lunches at work

Anyone got any good ideas for simple lunch prep? I work in an office and only get 1/2 hour for lunch and the kitchen consists of a microwave and kettle and that's it so needs to be prepped at home!

10 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

So end of my first week of "dieting" - to be honest, not so much of a diet as just being more sensible with choices (and not being a greedy bastard)

Result - lost 6lbs

Yesterday, I would usually had a fry up, some equally bad lunch and a take away but I had a healthy breakfast [couple of slices of grilled bacon, some mushrooms and scrambled eggs), a light lunch [Ryvita type crackers with low fat Philly and salmon with Chia seeds] and a delicious chicken curry (Slimming World recipe) for dinner. If I got hungry in between I snacked on fruit and stuff but to be honest I didn't really feel hungry.

Been shopping and got some healthy stuff in to make lunches at work

Anyone got any good ideas for simple lunch prep? I work in an office and only get 1/2 hour for lunch and the kitchen consists of a microwave and kettle and that's it so needs to be prepped at home!

Do you like hummus?

Fill a couple of wholemeal wraps with hummus and chopped salad. 

Delicious, nutritious and quick to make. If you have a food processor, I could give you a recipe for enough hummus for the week. 

17 minutes ago, LCFC FOX said:

One week all inclusive holiday and I’ve put 6lbs on, whoops :thumbdown:

time to start my fasting and eating well again. Had lost 13lbs in my first six weeks as well. Ah well we go again :) 

Probably be mostly water mate. Although I put on around 10lbs after 10 days in Vancouver that was a laugh 

44 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Probably be mostly water mate. Although I put on around 10lbs after 10 days in Vancouver that was a laugh 

I expected it to be honest due to drinking and eating three meals a day of what I liked. All part of the fun of the holiday.

back to work tomorrow and back to the weight losing.

4 hours ago, Buce said:

Do you like hummus?

Fill a couple of wholemeal wraps with hummus and chopped salad. 

Delicious, nutritious and quick to make. If you have a food processor, I could give you a recipe for enough hummus for the week. 

Yes mate, definitely like hummus. Would be interested in the recipe please! 

13 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Yes mate, definitely like hummus. Would be interested in the recipe please! 

2 x cans of chick peas (drained)

half a jar of tahini

2 x tbspns Extra Virgin olive oil

juice of a lemon

Few garlic cloves (crushed or finely chopped)

half teaspoon Lo Salt.

Whizz it all up in a food processor (add a little water - or more lemon juice if you prefer - until you have the desired consistency). Keep in an airtight container in the fridge.

It goes great with all kinds of salad in a wrap, but my favourite mix is diced cucumber/ shredded red cabbage/ black olives/ cherry tomatoes. It's also the dog's bollox on a jacket potato.

Another great snack option is felafel with chopped salad in wholemeal pitta bread.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1