Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

The dieting thread

Will try to answer your question now im home, but if you really want to do Keto, you do need to at least a bit of research - it WILL help you lose the stubborn weight easier. 

The best resource i have found is the keto channel on reddit .. here is a link to the basics https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/keto_in_a_nutshell

Keto is not hard, you basically stick to 20g carbs or less per day and eat in a calorie deficit. As with any diet, to lose weight your calories in must be less than your calories out. Eating Keto is no different, it just basically means you are using keytones as energy as opposed to carbs.

Many many people that do this diet also incorporate intermittent fasting, especially if they have stubborn fat around the tummy etc.. Basically this can be anything from 16/8 to 20/4 or even 1 meal a day (The 1st number is the time you fast for and the latter number is your eating window.) For example 18/6 would be eat at 1pm, snack in the afternoon and dinner 7pm - then dont eat again until 1pm the following day.. This will put your body into autophagy (which is basically a super fast fat burning session.) 

TLDR:- Keto is like every diet and calories in need to be less than calories out. However with the keto diet, you have more benefits than any other diet as you will find you are never hungry.. Due to the higher fat content and fat being satiating and filling you really are less likely to snack. 

If you do try it and need any help or have questions just let me know, ive got it down to a T now  :) ..nearly 3 stone down and 1.5 to go since the start of the year.  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Will try to answer your question now im home, but if you really want to do Keto, you do need to at least a bit of research - it WILL help you lose the stubborn weight easier. 

The best resource i have found is the keto channel on reddit .. here is a link to the basics https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/keto_in_a_nutshell

Keto is not hard, you basically stick to 20g carbs or less per day and eat in a calorie deficit. As with any diet, to lose weight your calories in must be less than your calories out. Eating Keto is no different, it just basically means you are using keytones as energy as opposed to carbs.

Many many people that do this diet also incorporate intermittent fasting, especially if they have stubborn fat around the tummy etc.. Basically this can be anything from 16/8 to 20/4 or even 1 meal a day (The 1st number is the time you fast for and the latter number is your eating window.) For example 18/6 would be eat at 1pm, snack in the afternoon and dinner 7pm - then dont eat again until 1pm the following day.. This will put your body into autophagy (which is basically a super fast fat burning session.) 

TLDR:- Keto is like every diet and calories in need to be less than calories out. However with the keto diet, you have more benefits than any other diet as you will find you are never hungry.. Due to the higher fat content and fat being satiating and filling you really are less likely to snack. 

If you do try it and need any help or have questions just let me know, ive got it down to a T now  :) ..nearly 3 stone down and 1.5 to go since the start of the year.  

Spot on that, thank you.

for reference I’ve been IF on and off for about 2.5 years, which is another reason why trying this appealed to me. 

I’ll keep you posted! 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I basically did the keto thing a few years ago before I even knew it had a name - cut out pasta/potato/bread etc, don't deny yourself fats and just ate less and coupled that with a daily bike ride

Lost a stone in 2-3 days, lost another stone about a week after that, lost another stone a few weeks after that. It's really effective. Carbs are what keep the flab on, which is a shame as you basically have to divorce chip butties ?

• Like 1

I've said it before and i'll say it again , insanity , its amazing , you don't need to follow a diet , just eat sensibly. Under an hour a day to achieve your goals . I was 15kg overweight . Lost it in under 5 months.  

Edited by woznotwos

7 minutes ago, woznotwos said:

I've said it before and i'll say it again , insanity , its amazing , you don't need to follow a diet , just eat sensibly. Under an hour a day to achieve your goals . I was 15kg overweight . Lost it in under 5 months.  

IMG_20180926_090523.jpg

Feel free to take piss lol. But it works guyz !!! I'm 53 years old.

Edited by woznotwos
  • Like 2

On 21/05/2019 at 18:34, woznotwos said:

I did insanity max 30 last year and got in the shape of my life but mentally I’m not sure I could put myself through another 2 months of that. Brutal workout every time.

• Like 1

On 21/05/2019 at 18:35, woznotwos said:

Feel free to take piss lol. But it works guyz !!! I'm 53 years old.

You’re in great shape dude good on ya! 

So coming to the end of my first week trying my best at Keto. I’m a fan. First two days were tough because I just felt like Shit, so I properly upped my fats and it’s helped loads. More energised and not feeling hungry at all. 

Ive also lost about 6lb in water weight too which I think is always a good sign that something’s happening. Once you get that out the way you start seeing small noticeable differences, in my experience anyway! 

I do feel like im eating the same things though, especially at lunchtimes because I buy it at work and can’t really think of anything different when I’m rushing around tesco’s or Marks’. 

@Suzie the Fox I know this will defeat the object of it completely, but what’s the score with booze? 

11 hours ago, Manini said:

You’re in great shape dude good on ya! 

So coming to the end of my first week trying my best at Keto. I’m a fan. First two days were tough because I just felt like Shit, so I properly upped my fats and it’s helped loads. More energised and not feeling hungry at all. 

Ive also lost about 6lb in water weight too which I think is always a good sign that something’s happening. Once you get that out the way you start seeing small noticeable differences, in my experience anyway! 

I do feel like im eating the same things though, especially at lunchtimes because I buy it at work and can’t really think of anything different when I’m rushing around tesco’s or Marks’. 

@Suzie the Fox I know this will defeat the object of it completely, but what’s the score with booze? 

Wow thats decent progress, and the 1st few days are always the worst.

Booze is a tough one on any diet or eating plan as they purely empty calories, however on keto you can drink. It will hamper weight loss but you have to weigh it up whats best for you to stick with the plan. The science is when you are eating ketogenically (burning fat for fuel) alcohol will stop the stop the process BUT it wont kick you out of ketosis, it will just not burn while the booze is in your system.

A few rules.

No alcohol for the 1st 2 weeks (so your body is fully keto adapted.)

Beer is a real no no as its full of carbs :( 

Red win and dry white wine are ok as they have very few carbs but the best alcoholic drinks are the zero carb ones so gin, vodka whiskey with diet (zero cal) mixers. 

I know personally if i couldnt drink i would have gave up months ago, however i dont drink to the extent i did before starting. I also know if i hadnt drank i would have lost more weight, but losing gradually and still enjoying life is easier to get my head around and perhaps better for you in the long run.

Hope that helps and keep up the excellent work. 

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Just started today on the Keto diet

Will report back re. progress

Good on ya! If you have any questions, feel free to ask :D  

I would recommend you get the basics down and have a good read of https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/keto_in_a_nutshell

Edited by Suzie the Fox
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, LCFC FOX said:

I need to start going on a diet, from tomorrow I start. Any tips and best ways to lose fat would be appreciated!

My wife went to the doctors and asked the same thing.

The Doctor said “don’t eat anything fatty”

The wife said “you mean things like sausages and bacon?”

The Doc said “No. Don’t eat anything, fatty!” 

:D

Edited by Izzy
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, LCFC FOX said:

Can someone briefly explain what a Keto diet is? I’ve read a few pages and it looks like it’s helped a few.

You have one rule only to get in keto and thats dont go above 20g carbs a day.

for example

Breakfast Bacon egg tomatoes mushroom 

Lunch Salad with meat or homemade Soup (watch for soups you get in the stores as they full of sugar)

Dinner - Steak/Pork chop/salmon and veggies.

Snacks - Nuts / Cold meat / Cheeses 

Its really THAT easy the biggest tips i would give to anyone is read the labels on EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth (including ketchup... milk in tea = both have lots of carbs) and not to think fat is your enemy... SUGAR 'carbs' are. 

I think i posted above a really good link about keto that is worth a read... it will put you on the straight and narrow about what to do and what not to do. 

IT DOES WORK THOUGH, but for the 1st 2 weeks its hard breaking habits (like anything) and you can get keto flu .. if that happens add more salt to your diet.. 

Always here to help in this thread or private message me if you dont want to post. 

8 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

for example

Lunch Salad with meat or homemade Soup (watch for soups you get in the stores as they full of sugar)

Its really THAT easy the biggest tips i would give to anyone is read the labels on EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth (including ketchup... milk in tea = both have lots of carbs) and not to think fat is your enemy... SUGAR 'carbs' are. 

I think i posted above a really good link about keto that is worth a read... it will put you on the straight and narrow about what to do and what not to do. 

IT DOES WORK THOUGH, but for the 1st 2 weeks its hard breaking habits (like anything) and you can get keto flu .. if that happens add more salt to your diet.. 

Always here to help in this thread or private message me if you dont want to post. 

Thanks for the reply, it’s interesting as you can still eat nice food lol I’ll look into in  :) 

10 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

for example

Spot on

So far so good @Col city fan? Starting my second week now, I think I shot my chuff too early because I felt absolutely awful over the weekend, the Keto flu isn’t a myth lol 

Feel better today though, suppose it’s just like anything isn’t it it takes your body time to react to something. 

17 minutes ago, Manini said:

So far so good @Col city fan? Starting my second week now, I think I shot my chuff too early because I felt absolutely awful over the weekend, the Keto flu isn’t a myth lol 

Feel better today though, suppose it’s just like anything isn’t it it takes your body time to react to something. 

I’ve become rather depressed with weight gain over the last year mate so I knew I had to do something. 48 hours in, I’ve stuck religiously to a max of 10g carbs per day. 

Findings so far:

I haven’t felt hungry. The statement that eating healthy fats fills you up is absolutely true

I’ve drunk more water than I ever did before

I’ve complimented each meal with lots of GREEN veg (not carrots or corn)

I’ve ordered Atkins bars from eBay to give myself a low carb treat when I feel I need it

I haven’t yet lost energy

I’ve also ordered Keto supplements (two a day) from Ebay

I’ve replaced milk in coffee with cream

I’m frying mushrooms, eggs and toms in fresh butter

Negatives: initially it’s expensive (You have to replace all the carby food in your cupboards and freezer with the high fat stuff 

Constipation (any new diet involves the body having to adjust)... remedied with short term use of senna

So far I’ve lost 4 pounds (I didn’t intend to weigh myself but couldn’t help having a sneaky look) and can literally feel my ample tummy starting to shrink a little

Will report back in two weeks

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1

4 pounds in 2 days is brilliant.

I’m going to have to give this diet a go. Maybe after this weekend though as I’m going Liverpool for a mates birthday on Saturday and of course it could be carnage if they win the champions league.

I think my biggest problem will be beer, there’s not many Saturdays I go with out some pints down the local with mates. 

6 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I’ve become rather depressed with weight gain over the last year mate so I knew I had to do something. 48 hours in, I’ve stuck religiously to a max of 10g carbs per day. 

Findings so far:

I haven’t felt hungry. The statement that eating healthy fats fills you up is absolutely true

I’ve drunk more water than I ever did before

I’ve complimented each meal with lots of GREEN veg (not carrots or corn)

I’ve ordered Atkins bars from eBay to give myself a low carb treat when I feel I need it

I haven’t yet lost energy

I’ve also ordered Keto supplements (two a day) from Ebay

I’ve replaced milk in coffee with cream

I’m frying mushrooms, eggs and toms in fresh butter

Negatives: initially it’s expensive (You have to replace all the carby food in your cupboards and freezer with the high fat stuff 

Constipation (any new diet involves the body having to adjust)... remedied with short term use of senna

So far I’ve lost 4 pounds (I didn’t intend to weigh myself but couldn’t help having a sneaky look) and can literally feel my ample tummy starting to shrink a little

Will report back in two weeks

Do you mind me asking what Keto supplements you purchased and what they’re best for?

A general advice I find rather useful: Eat less.

I know everyone has a somewhat different metabolism and burns calories differently, but try to eat less, both in terms of portions and in terms of meals per day. Be more considerate.

I wouldn't go as far as fasting, but I'm of the opinion that we've been conditioned from a young age to eat three times a day. Once you get past the 20-year mark, you don't need as much food intake any longer, as you are fully grown. I find that as we get older, we too often cling onto some sort of "tradition" or habit that dictates that we have to eat three times a day, sometimes even going for warm meals twice a day.

Drink enough water and restrict eating to a new optimum. Eat more vegetables and consider meat a reward reserved for special occasions, rather than routine.*

*Although I've heard that some people with arthritis, depression or auto-immune issues for example find meat-based diets helpful (see Jordan Peterson and his daughter Mikhaila, for instance)

Edited by MC Prussian

1 hour ago, LCFC FOX said:

Do you mind me asking what Keto supplements you purchased and what they’re best for?

Supplements was the wrong word mate. I meant fat burning pills.

Many Keto’ers use multi-vitals to maintain their vit uptake. Even they often have a high sugar content though.

60C72C71-EF99-4871-A292-26D1CB0A415F.jpeg

2 hours ago, LCFC FOX said:

4 pounds in 2 days is brilliant.

I’m going to have to give this diet a go. Maybe after this weekend though as I’m going Liverpool for a mates birthday on Saturday and of course it could be carnage if they win the champions league.

I think my biggest problem will be beer, there’s not many Saturdays I go with out some pints down the local with mates. 

I don’t drink much tbf so this isn’t an issue for me

But certainly beer is carb laden, especially bitter and cider. If I ever do indulge, I go for lager.