Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

The dieting thread

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Is a Fitbit worth it? Is it better than using a phone app to keep track on exercise and calories consumed? Can you also keep track of run times etc. on there?

I want to lose around a stone, but my issue is keeping track of what I'm eating and when I'm eating (I work shifts and I can never have a set meal time)

A phone app may just be the best thing for me, I was just looking for anyone elses opinion.

Personally I see Fitbit as just another expensive gimmick

Get a gym membership, get a fitness plan, stick to it, pick a diet, learn it, stick to it.

I’m not being flippant but these peeps (generally women) who bang on and on about how many steps they’ve done in a day, who then come into work looking like ten tonne Tess!

Nah....

:D

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Personally I see Fitbit as just another expensive gimmick

Get a gym membership, get a fitness plan, stick to it, pick a diet, learn it, stick to it.

I’m not being flippant but these peeps (generally women) who bang on and on about how many steps they’ve done in a day, who then come into work looking like ten tonne Tess!

Nah....

:D

This was my thinking, but wanted to see if they are useful for anything at all.

Got a gym membership, just need to sort out a decent diet really. Also trying to sign up to a 10k run next year, so will need to start training for that soon.

11 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Got a gym membership, just need to sort out a decent diet really. Also trying to sign up to a 10k run next year, so will need to start training for that soon.

Fitbits are great mate. They are a good guide for calories burnt and also link to MyFitnessPal. I have had mine for a few years and really helps to assess calorie limits for different days (when you may be more active)

8 hours ago, LCFC FOX said:

What’s best to have with meat with your dinners? I’m thinking about doing the following as an example on my dinners

Monday - Bacon

Tuesday - Beef

Wednesday - Chicken

Thursday - Gammon

Friday - Steak

Saturday & Sunday - no idea yet

The most difficult thing is what to have with the meat. Im sure having Veg everyday could be where it gets boring?

The trick with not getting bored with veg is to be creative - as a vegan, I practically live off vegetables

Tonight's dinner, for example, was vegetable kebabs - cassava, cherry tomatoes, plantain, sweet potato, aubergine, zucchini, onion, peppers, mushrooms and tofu (You could switch the tofu for halloumi, which is how I used to make it when I was a vegetarian). Just chop it all into chunks and marinade it in a marinade of your choice, then put it on skewers and grill it. Roasted vegetables are another favourite. You just need to get past the idea of the commonly boiled veg we normally eat in this country.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Buce said:

The trick with not getting bored with veg is to be creative - as a vegan, I practically live off vegetables

Tonight's dinner, for example, was vegetable kebabs - cassava, cherry tomatoes, plantain, sweet potato, aubergine, zucchini, onion, peppers, mushrooms and tofu (You could switch the tofu for halloumi, which is how I used to make it when I was a vegetarian). Just chop it all into chunks and marinade it in a marinade of your choice, then put it on skewers and grill it. Roasted vegetables are another favourite. You just need to get past the idea of the commonly boiled veg we normally eat in this country.

you are 100% correct its not so much what you eat but more so how you prepare, add to it and cook it. 

Edited by Suzie the Fox
  • Like 1

I've lost a fair bit simply by not eating past 6pm, I've been training in the gym for years, so I'm alright there. I've also been getting up and going for a 30min walk in the morning before breakfast, so fasted cardio I suppose.

4 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Absolutely they are worth it. Mines set to 15k a day, I don't always achieve it. But there is a direct link with activity and weight in the 3 years or so I've been wearing mine.

If I miss the gym for a few weeks, and my steps cut right down, the weight goes on. It's very motivating.

12 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Is a Fitbit worth it? Is it better than using a phone app to keep track on exercise and calories consumed? Can you also keep track of run times etc. on there?

I want to lose around a stone, but my issue is keeping track of what I'm eating and when I'm eating (I work shifts and I can never have a set meal time)

A phone app may just be the best thing for me, I was just looking for anyone elses opinion.

I have one. It sits in my bedside table. Not worth it in my opinion.

I've found losing weight to be 90% about what you eat and when. I'd recommend a calorie counter app like my fitness Pal and quality kitchen scales instead.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Monday - Bacon, Egg Tomatoe and mushrooms

Tuesday - Beef with Cauliflower and Brocoli 

Wednesday - Chicken with salad - or make a Chicken curry.

Thursday - Gammon - I never eat gammon as a dinner, but i do buy a boneless joint which i eat for lunch - cut 2 thick slices, top with cream cheese and sliced tomatoe or avacado. OR topped with spinnach and egg 

Friday- Steak with french beans, mushrooms and red pepper with a pepper cream sauce

If you like Chinese fried rice, you can pick up some cauliflower rice from most super markets and quite easily make it in the pan with five spice herb a table spoon of soy sauce and add any of the above to it .. super easy, really tasty and well filling.

If you are talking about boiled veggies then yes i think it would be, but you can get creative with them by roasting or frying in butter/coconut oil. One of my faves is making cauliflower fritters with chilli and spices. Takes a few mins to make and tastes just like potato. 

If you are stuck for what to eat, google keto receipe's... there are LOADS. 

Thank you for that, very helpful. I’m actually quite looking forward to starting it :) just need to find a few low in carb snacks to eat either for lunch or at night time instead of crisps/chocolate and I’m there 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LCFC FOX said:

Thank you for that, very helpful. I’m actually quite looking forward to starting it :) just need to find a few low in carb snacks to eat either for lunch or at night time instead of crisps/chocolate and I’m there 

Monday: Four sticks of celery and a litre of water.

Tuesday: Four sticks of celery and a litre of water.

Wednesday: Four sticks of celery and a litre of water.

Thursday: Four sticks of celery and a litre of water.

Friday: Four sticks of celery and a litre of water.

Saturday: Four sticks of celery and a litre of water.

Sunday: A Big Mac Happy Meal.

Seriously? - Eat less and exercise. That's it. 

Slightly off topic but does anyone else struggle staying hydrated? I feel like I drink water, squash, tea etc pretty constantly at home and at work but I seem to feel constantly de-hydrated. I like a my food quite salty but I can't remember if that helps or hinders water retention. 

Day 1 of the Keto diet

had ham and cheese for lunch at 12:30 and had Bacon, Eggs, Mushrooms and tomatoes for dinner at 5. Drank nothing but water so far too.

must admit I’m starting to feel hungry again but not sure what to have as a snack. Think I’ve had around 12g of carbs so far.

got my dinners sorted for the week. Just having a look on the internet on lunch ideas. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LCFC FOX said:

Day 1 of the Keto diet

had ham and cheese for lunch at 12:30 and had Bacon, Eggs, Mushrooms and tomatoes for dinner at 5. Drank nothing but water so far too.

must admit I’m starting to feel hungry again but not sure what to have as a snack. Think I’ve had around 12g of carbs so far.

got my dinners sorted for the week. Just having a look on the internet on lunch ideas. 

One of the ‘snacks’ I like is buy some ground flaxseed (eBay, Tesco, Aldi) and mix it with fresh cream. Add berries (eg raspberry, blueberry)

I swear, it tastes like a bowl of cereal.

24 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

One of the ‘snacks’ I like is buy some ground flaxseed (eBay, Tesco, Aldi) and mix it with fresh cream. Add berries (eg raspberry, blueberry)

I swear, it tastes like a bowl of cereal.

Sounds interesting, will have a look :) 

how long have you been doing the diet now?

2 hours ago, LCFC FOX said:

Day 1 of the Keto diet

For snacks pork scratching, cold meats /cheeses, boiled egg, sliced pepper dipped in mayo, nuts, zero cal jelly, berry’s. 

They used to be my go to’s. But Now I IF,  i don’t eat after 7pm

Ask yourself are you really hungry though or just bored or just in the habit of snacking at this time. I doubt it’s because you are really really hungry :P  

5 hours ago, LCFC FOX said:

Day 1 of the Keto diet

Funnily enough I started today too.

I had 2 scrambled eggs for breakfast.

Ready made smoked salmon fillets for lunch then I made a lovely Indonesian dish and swapped out the rice for chopped cauliflower.

Just had a hunger pang so had a slice of ham.

• Like 2

What’s everyone’s opinion on drinking, for example, Fanta Zero (1.7g carbs) and eating a packet of skips (7.5g carbs) 

if you still are below 20g carbs a day does it matter? Or are fizzy/soft drinks and crisps a big no no on the Keto diet even if you still hit below 20g carbs?

2 hours ago, LCFC FOX said:

What’s everyone’s opinion on drinking, for example, Fanta Zero (1.7g carbs) and eating a packet of skips (7.5g carbs) 

if you still are below 20g carbs a day does it matter? Or are fizzy/soft drinks and crisps a big no no on the Keto diet even if you still hit below 20g carbs?

Fizzy drinks should be limited. They’re ok but not brill for keto. Try to limit them and drink more squash (no added sugar)

Skips are ok, but again, just limit them.

Try to stick to 20, low sugar, carbs a day and bingo...

2 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

As far as I can tell as long as you stay within the 20g you're good to go. 

But don't have to much protein as this can break down into sugars.

I believe you should have on your plate:

70% veggies 

20% fats

10% protein stuff

You don’t really need to limit fats particularly. Too little fat and you won’t attain ketosis. Test for ketosis regularly and regulate your fats accordingly.

eg, if you want to flavor up your veg with a nub of butter or a delicious cheese sauce (make it yourself with cream and cheese) then that’s fine

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1

Just now, Col city fan said:

Fizzy drinks should be limited. They’re ok but not brill for keto. Try to limit them and drink more squash (no added sugar)

Skips are ok, but again, just limit them.

Try to stick to 20, low sugar, carbs a day and bingo...

Yeah that’s what I was thinking it just makes a different from water constantly. I’ve been pretty good so far, Monday and Tuesday were below 20g for the day and today I’ve hit just over at about 28g. Plan on being below 20g again Thursday and Friday. I may treat my self on Saturdays and go to about 40g and then back below 20 on Sunday.