Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

The dieting thread

1 hour ago, LCFC FOX said:

Yeah that’s what I was thinking it just makes a different from water constantly. I’ve been pretty good so far, Monday and Tuesday were below 20g for the day and today I’ve hit just over at about 28g. Plan on being below 20g again Thursday and Friday. I may treat my self on Saturdays and go to about 40g and then back below 20 on Sunday.

Mate, you will do what works for you, but just a word of advice. Ignore it if you like 

The first two weeks on the Keto diet are crucial really. These are the weeks when you need to get 20g or below to get your body into ketosis. Ketosis is when your bod is burning fat for energy, not carbs.

If you suddenly hit your body with carbs as a ‘treat day’, then it will go directly for the carbs to burn (they burn much more easily) and the fat that you’ve consumed to attain ketosis will then be STORED, not burnt. 

Does that make sense? Immediately following your treat day, you may then find that you’ve GAINED weight.

Research your ‘treats’ and you’ll find you can have them in a low carb form. The more you research, the more you’ll work out its a lifestyle thing.

Good luck mate.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Mate, you will do what works for you, but just a word of advice. Ignore it if you like 

The first two weeks on the Keto diet are crucial really. These are the weeks when you need to get 20g or below to get your body into ketosis. Ketosis is when your bod is burning fat for energy, not carbs.

If you suddenly hit your body with carbs as a ‘treat day’, then it will go directly for the carbs to burn (they burn much more easily) and the fat that you’ve consumed to attain ketosis will then be STORED, not burnt. 

Does that make sense? Immediately following your treat day, you may then find that you’ve GAINED weight.

Research your ‘treats’ and you’ll find you can have them in a low carb form. The more you research, the more you’ll work out its a lifestyle thing.

Good luck mate.

I get what you mean, when I said cheat day I don’t mean eat lots of shite for the day, it’s more just a few more carbs than normal. 

If I’m being honest Monday to Friday I find quite easy due to work and then coming home and eating a meal. Saturday and Sunday will be the real test when I would normally get a takeaway and a few beers and probably eat more due to boredom. Which I’m cutting out this week. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LCFC FOX said:

What’s everyone’s opinion on drinking, for example, Fanta Zero (1.7g carbs) and eating a packet of skips (7.5g carbs) 

if you still are below 20g carbs a day does it matter? Or are fizzy/soft drinks and crisps a big no no on the Keto diet even if you still hit below 20g carbs?

Are you sure Fanta Zero is 1.7g Carbs? .. I have not stopped drinking diet drinks but tend to stick to Coke Zero, Diet Pepsi and they are less than 0.5g carbs a glass. 

The problem with diet drinks is down to the type of fake sugar they use. Some people it wont affect them and others see a stall in weight loss, (as it still raises insulin) so its down to the individual. Like i say i have never had a problem with them, but where possible choose one that has less than 1g carb per glass. 

The packet of skips i personally wouldnt touch as they are over 1/3 of your daily carbs, it would be way better to eat something more wholesome. As an occasional treat they are not horrendous but its something you need to weigh up yourself. there is nothing worse than being hungry on a diet but if you can manage i dont see a problem. 

Edit;- Just had a quick look at Fanta Zero and it shows less than 1g a glass.

Edited by Suzie the Fox

3 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Are you sure Fanta Zero is 1.7g Carbs? .. I have not stopped drinking diet drinks but tend to stick to Coke Zero, Diet Pepsi and they are less than 0.5g carbs a glass. 

The problem with diet drinks is down to the type of fake sugar they use. Some people it wont affect them and others see a stall in weight loss, (as it still raises insulin) so its down to the individual. Like i say i have never had a problem with them, but where possible choose one that has less than 1g carb per glass. 

The packet of skips i personally wouldnt touch as they are over 1/3 of your daily carbs, it would be way better to eat something more wholesome. As an occasional treat they are not horrendous but its something you need to weigh up yourself. there is nothing worse than being hungry on a diet but if you can manage i dont see a problem. 

Edit;- Just had a quick look at Fanta Zero and it shows less than 1g a glass.

Cheers for the advice, on the back of the Fanta zero cans I have it says 1.7g a can and I do tend to have one a day. I’m still hitting under 20g (so far) so hoping it doesn’t matter too much.

when reading about Keto online a lot I’ve read suggest don’t going over 50g if you’re a new starter and only go below 20g if it’s really strict.

Thats a big different though right? Lol another 30g on top is a lot of food.

Cheers for the advice, on the back of the Fanta zero cans I have it says 1.7g a can and I do tend to have one a day. I’m still hitting under 20g (so far) so hoping it doesn’t matter too much.

when reading about Keto online a lot I’ve read suggest don’t going over 50g if you’re a new starter and only go below 20g if it’s really strict.

Have you got a particular liking for Fanta zero mate? There are many fizzy drinks with just about zero carbs? Some have zero

2 hours ago, LCFC FOX said:

For the 1st 2 weeks, like Col said its best to stay under 20g to get fat adapted. After that then its your choice. Some people can eat ketogentically at 50g, but others cant.

The suggestion of staying under 20g is that EVERYBODY will be in Keto if they stay within that limit. :) 

Edited by Suzie the Fox

1 hour ago, Suzie the Fox said:

For the 1st 2 weeks, like Col said its best to stay under 20g to get fat adapted. After that then its your choice. Some people can eat ketogentically at 50g, but others cant.

The suggestion of staying under 20g is that EVERYBODY will be in Keto if they stay within that limit. :) 

I’ll be staying under 20g :) 

I’m dreading Monday now when I weigh my self again, that’s when I’ll know if I’m doing it properly lol 

I’ll be staying under 20g :) 

I’m dreading Monday now when I weigh my self again, that’s when I’ll know if I’m doing it properly lol 

I think if you will be surprised.. just dont go out and get recked this weekend :P 

17 hours ago, LCFC FOX said:

One week down and 7lbs down. Really shocked me that especially after a few beers and a burger & chips on Saturday evening.

Eating less and eating between 20-30g carbs for six days seems to have worked :) 

we go again 

Well done mate

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of feedback then re. Being on Keto for a couple or three weeks:

- it gets harder to lose weight as you get older. Everything slows down! 

- I’ve not felt very hungry at all. Keto is filling!

- 9 pounds lost according to scales this morning

- down a trouser size

Shall continue...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Bit of feedback then re. Being on Keto for a couple or three weeks:

- it gets harder to lose weight as you get older. Everything slows down! 

- I’ve not felt very hungry at all. Keto is filling!

- 9 pounds lost according to scales this morning

- down a trouser size

Shall continue...

Well done, 9lbs is a decent loss in 3 weeks. I can totally relate to the 'harder to lose weight as you get older' I think we are of similar age.

My weight loss has been not so amazing this month, probably 3lbs total, but im good with that.. slow and steady and all that :D 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

My weight loss has pretty much stopped 3 weeks in. But I'm barely eating and not getting hungry either.

I'm loving keto cookies and keto granola.  Probably why I'm not losing weight it's all so tasty and there's a lot of calories in a small amount of food.

Thats very very common and just your body adjusting to the way of eating. I know i didnt lose in week 3 at all and wondered if i was doing it wrong, but its very normal. Stick with it as i'm sure you will and the weight will start moving again. 

• Thanks 1

I have been doing "Time Restricted Eating" (I only eat between 11-8) for a few months and find it really great.  I have always been slim so do not need to lose weight and, in fact, I eat the same amount of food as I ever did, but I definitely have found it useful and as someone who used to get hungry and faint if I didn't eat every 30 minutes it really seems to have helped with blood sugar levels.  I do not have breakfast until 11am and I never feel hungry whereas I used to eat brekkie at 8 and be starving again by 11.  It also helps stop those late night snacks.  I sometimes eat more food than I should but always before 8 so give myself time to digest.  I actually have lost weight doing it (down from 80kg to 75kg in a few months)) but that has not been my aim.  I have also been going to the gym more and running.  I am not really a believer in dieting, I frirmly believe 90% are not sustainable.  I think most of it is common sense.  Cut down on sugar (including carbs) and eat as little processed food as possible and as much fruit and veg as you can.  I never count calories or watch what I eat really apart from trying to stop my sweet tooth.  I would fully recommened TRE to anyone although I am aware it is easier for some.  I am self empoyed so I find it easier to have breakfast later in the day.  I do not like the idea of diets but restricting the hours of eating I find easier.  Although these things are always subjective.

On a side note, I recently started taking pea protein as I do some weights.  Never ever taken any suppliments in my life and I don't really like the idea but this seems pretty natural and I think maybe for weights my body does need a little more protein.  Will see how it goes.  Anyone had any experience of it?   Interesting thread this though, good reading.

Edited by RumbleFox

Since 1st June I've been counting the calories using the fitness pal app along with as many walks and exercise bike rides as I can do. Can't run too much with dodgy knees.

Lost 7lb so far, hoping to treble that in total. Always been a massive eater and found my main issue is scoffing crisps, chocolate through sheer boredom when at work so have completely cut this out.

17 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

I have been doing "Time Restricted Eating" (I only eat between 11-8) for a few months and find it really great.  I have always been slim so do not need to lose weight and, in fact, I eat the same amount of food as I ever did, but I definitely have found it useful and as someone who used to get hungry and faint if I didn't eat every 30 minutes it really seems to have helped with blood sugar levels.  I do not have breakfast until 11am and I never feel hungry whereas I used to eat brekkie at 8 and be starving again by 11.  It also helps stop those late night snacks.  I sometimes eat more food than I should but always before 8 so give myself time to digest.  I actually have lost weight doing it (down from 80kg to 75kg in a few months)) but that has not been my aim.  I have also been going to the gym more and running.  I am not really a believer in dieting, I frirmly believe 90% are not sustainable.  I think most of it is common sense.  Cut down on sugar (including carbs) and eat as little processed food as possible and as much fruit and veg as you can.  I never count calories or watch what I eat really apart from trying to stop my sweet tooth.  I would fully recommened TRE to anyone although I am aware it is easier for some.  I am self empoyed so I find it easier to have breakfast later in the day.  I do not like the idea of diets but restricting the hours of eating I find easier.  Although these things are always subjective.

On a side note, I recently started taking pea protein as I do some weights.  Never ever taken any suppliments in my life and I don't really like the idea but this seems pretty natural and I think maybe for weights my body does need a little more protein.  Will see how it goes.  Anyone had any experience of it?   Interesting thread this though, good reading.

I do Intermittent Fasting (Time Restricted Eating) 18:6 and Keto. It really works.

Great to see so many people doing well on Keto. Enjoy!!

16 hours ago, pds said:

Since 1st June I've been counting the calories using the fitness pal app along with as many walks and exercise bike rides as I can do. Can't run too much with dodgy knees.

Lost 7lb so far, hoping to treble that in total. Always been a massive eater and found my main issue is scoffing crisps, chocolate through sheer boredom when at work so have completely cut this out.

Using something like MFP is key. Keto and IF are advanced CICO (calories in, calories out) diets. So eating more than the required calories a day will scupper any weight loss.

On 05/06/2019 at 21:38, Col city fan said:

Good luck mate.

100% Col. Keto is pretty much an all or nothing way of eating. It takes about 4 weeks to be fat adapted, and it's important to stay below 20g. 

After losing 55lbs, I took a break, not gained anything back, but back at it! I want to get to about 180lbs. Another 20lbs to go!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Screw this, it's bbq weather!

Damn right and guess what... BBQ on Keto is still dieting, so how good is that :DDD  BBQ Pork Chop, Sausage and steak for my dinner tonight .. chucked a bit of salad on the plate too for a bit of greenery. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 07:54, Col city fan said:

Stuck to Keto now for a month

Not far off a stone lost

Started at 16.7 (fat bar steward), now 15.8

You're the right weight if you're 7'9''?

Joking, that's a great performance in a month.  X

On 30/06/2019 at 00:40, Suzie the Fox said:

Damn right and guess what... BBQ on Keto is still dieting, so how good is that :DDD  BBQ Pork Chop, Sausage and steak for my dinner tonight .. chucked a bit of salad on the plate too for a bit of greenery. 

Careful of sausage and the fillers.. also a lot of BBQ sauces are nearly 100% sugar!