Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

The dieting thread

On 27/05/2019 at 22:16, Suzie the Fox said:

You have one rule only to get in keto and thats dont go above 20g carbs a day.

for example

Breakfast Bacon egg tomatoes mushroom 

Lunch Salad with meat or homemade Soup (watch for soups you get in the stores as they full of sugar)

Dinner - Steak/Pork chop/salmon and veggies.

Snacks - Nuts / Cold meat / Cheeses 

Its really THAT easy the biggest tips i would give to anyone is read the labels on EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth (including ketchup... milk in tea = both have lots of carbs) and not to think fat is your enemy... SUGAR 'carbs' are. 

I think i posted above a really good link about keto that is worth a read... it will put you on the straight and narrow about what to do and what not to do. 

IT DOES WORK THOUGH, but for the 1st 2 weeks its hard breaking habits (like anything) and you can get keto flu .. if that happens add more salt to your diet.. 

Always here to help in this thread or private message me if you dont want to post. 

When you say don’t go over 20g of carbs a day.

I may sound stupid here but when looking at food packaging it says

Carbohydrate - ( insert grams)

of which sugars - (insert grams)

which is obviously two different figures. Which one do you look at?

1 hour ago, LCFC FOX said:

I’ll answer in layman’s terms if ok:

Sugars are basically the enemy on Keto

Most foods contain carbs. But many contain carbs in the form of sugars

This is why many foods these days are able to be marketed as ‘low fat’. Yes, the fat content is low but you just look at the sugar content! In order to produce them and keep them tasty (fats remember, are tasty), the manufacturers load them with sugar.

In it’s purest form, Keto diets (like Atkins) argue that when man lived on just meat, veg and berries (hunter gatherers) they a. Lived a relatively long time and b. They were rarely obese.

Atkins blames obesity in modern society on PROCESSED foods ie foods artificially manufactured to be quick and tasty, but typically sugar laden. 

Does that make sense?

Therefore, when on Keto, look for low carb food BUT ESPECIALLY avoid foods where those carbs are in the form of processed sugars.

Hope that helps....

2 hours ago, LCFC FOX said:

You look at the total carb count which includes the carbs from sugars.

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I’ll answer in layman’s terms if ok:

Sugars are basically the enemy on Keto

Most foods contain carbs. But many contain carbs in the form of sugars

This is why many foods these days are able to be marketed as ‘low fat’. Yes, the fat content is low but you just look at the sugar content! In order to produce them and keep them tasty (fats remember, are tasty), the manufacturers load them with sugar.

In it’s purest form, Keto diets (like Atkins) argue that when man lived on just meat, veg and berries (hunter gatherers) they a. Lived a relatively long time and b. They were rarely obese.

Atkins blames obesity in modern society on PROCESSED foods ie foods artificially manufactured to be quick and tasty, but typically sugar laden. 

Does that make sense?

Therefore, when on Keto, look for low carb food BUT ESPECIALLY avoid foods where those carbs are in the form of processed sugars.

Hope that helps....

Kin Hell Col... Im super impressed :schmike:

5 hours ago, Unabomber said:

You look at the total carb count which includes the carbs from sugars.

If you are in the UK (as the yanks show it differently) you look at the label on the item. 

for example - if you look on the back of a Pot noodle you will see the following (per 100g) :-

Carbohydrate 20.9g

of which sugars 2.9g 

For counting your daily carbs per day you should be looking at the 20.9g ... Therefore Pot noodle is not Keto as you shouldnt go above 20g per day.

Hope that makes sense? 

5 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

If you are in the UK (as the yanks show it differently) you look at the label on the item. 

for example - if you look on the back of a Pot noodle you will see the following (per 100g) :-

Carbohydrate 20.9g

of which sugars 2.9g 

For counting your daily carbs per day you should be looking at the 20.9g ... Therefore Pot noodle is not Keto as you shouldnt go above 20g per day.

Hope that makes sense? 

Yeah that’s what I said 

Thanks guys, I’m starting it on Monday after my weekend away.

any suggestions on some nice evening dinners and snacks to have? Going to do some good Keto food shopping on Sunday so any advice on some nice meals would be appreciated :) 

4 hours ago, LCFC FOX said:

Thanks guys, I’m starting it on Monday after my weekend away.

any suggestions on some nice evening dinners and snacks to have? Going to do some good Keto food shopping on Sunday so any advice on some nice meals would be appreciated :) 

Loads of chicken, load of steak, loads of cheese, loads of bacon, real butter, cream, brocolli and some mushrooms and you won’t go far wrong. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Manini said:

Loads of chicken, load of steak, loads of cheese, loads of bacon, real butter, cream, brocolli and some mushrooms and you won’t go far wrong. 

Yup that sounds perfect, just be aware calories still count. BUT at the start .. get into Keto eating and you will find you wont be as hungry as you was before.. you will get less bloated and only eat when you are actually hungry. Drink loads of water too, especailly at the start and dont forget to add salt to your food (and avoid keto flu)

Good luck.. you got this 

6 minutes ago, Itsthejoeker said:

Not posted in here before. 

About to go go buy a new belt because my old one is too big. 30lbs down 30 to go!

Thats pretty awesome tbh and i bet you feel so much better for it?

Pretty similar losses and 'still to go' as me actually .. ive lost in total now 37lbs and would like to lose another 28lbs ...but im not stressing on it anymore, will never go back to how i used to eat so if it takes 2 months or 6 months, will get there eventually :)  

4 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Thats pretty awesome tbh and i bet you feel so much better for it?

Pretty similar losses and 'still to go' as me actually .. ive lost in total now 37lbs and would like to lose another 28lbs ...but im not stressing on it anymore, will never go back to how i used to eat so if it takes 2 months or 6 months, will get there eventually :)  

The “lighter on your feet” thing is no lie right?!

The big difference for my was getting the motivation to be back in the gym.

on a roll and am not going to stop

2 minutes ago, Itsthejoeker said:

The “lighter on your feet” thing is no lie right?!

The big difference for my was getting the motivation to be back in the gym.

on a roll and am not going to stop

Thats great to hear, its a massive motivation once you lose a couple of stone. Back in January i would lose breath running up the stairs (smoking doesnt help) but now im back upto 20 mins full spinning on my bike, and plan to join up to a gym for cardio / weights soon to tone

10 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Yup that sounds perfect, just be aware calories still count. BUT at the start .. get into Keto eating and you will find you wont be as hungry as you was before.. you will get less bloated and only eat when you are actually hungry. Drink loads of water too, especailly at the start and dont forget to add salt to your food (and avoid keto flu)

Good luck.. you got this 

Yep watch the calories, but to be honest I’m finding on Keto I can eat so much more than before and still stay within my calorie limits. It must be because carbs, in general, are so calorie dense that they just eat away at a massive chunk of it. 

10 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Thats great to hear, its a massive motivation once you lose a couple of stone. Back in January i would lose breath running up the stairs (smoking doesnt help) but now im back upto 20 mins full spinning on my bike, and plan to join up to a gym for cardio / weights soon to tone

Can you have 'cheat' days on Keto?

I'm considering it, but would be extremely difficult!

Edited by CollinsLCFC

1 minute ago, CollinsLCFC said:

Simple answer is yes and no, it really depends on how many and how often. For starters it will hamper your weight loss so its a choice only you can make on what you want more. Fish and Chips & a cream cake or more weight loss.

I have had the occasional cheat meal (never day), mainly when i have been at a restaurant. The next day the scales will go up (water weight.) however eating well over the next couple of days will bring it back down again. It really is a personal choice and how fast you want to lose the weight. I have also found if i dont eat carbs, after a few weeks i dont crave them, but if you continue eating them even on a small basis or cheat day/meal the cravings wont stop.  

12 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Good luck.. you got this 

What’s best to have with meat with your dinners? I’m thinking about doing the following as an example on my dinners

Monday - Bacon

Tuesday - Beef

Wednesday - Chicken

Thursday - Gammon

Friday - Steak

Saturday & Sunday - no idea yet

The most difficult thing is what to have with the meat. Im sure having Veg everyday could be where it gets boring?

1 hour ago, CollinsLCFC said:

Just be careful with this

Your body is craving carbs... if you introduce them, and especially sweet carbs, your fat burn will stop almost instantly and the bod will turn to the carbs for energy.

When I was on Atkins, years back, every ‘cheat day’ I had, I found I literally put a couple of pounds back on almost instantly.

You don’t really need to cheat. Look to Atkins bars (eg. Choc and coconut) which are delicious and very low sugar.

And find things that taste sweet, but aren’t. There’s some low sugar choc bars on the market at the moment which will satisfy your cravings at a tenth of the sugar you’d have if you had a mars bar.

Research it mate. It’s worth it.

I’ve been on mine now since Sunday (day 6) and already can squeeze into my fave pair of jeans that 7 days ago I couldn’t squeeze into.

18 minutes ago, LCFC FOX said:

What’s best to have with meat with your dinners? I’m thinking about doing the following as an example on my dinners

Monday - Bacon

Tuesday - Beef

Wednesday - Chicken

Thursday - Gammon

Friday - Steak

Saturday & Sunday - no idea yet

The most difficult thing is what to have with the meat. Im sure having Veg everyday could be where it gets boring?

Try some milled Flaxseed

Very low in carbs, very high in fiber. Sprinkle 30g over your meats and it feels like your having your meat with a carbohydrate (like a crust)

Get it off eBay 

15 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Just be careful with this

Your body is craving carbs... if you introduce them, and especially sweet carbs, your fat burn will stop almost instantly and the bod will turn to the carbs for energy.

When I was on Atkins, years back, every ‘cheat day’ I had, I found I literally put a couple of pounds back on almost instantly.

You don’t really need to cheat. Look to Atkins bars (eg. Choc and coconut) which are delicious and very low sugar.

And find things that taste sweet, but aren’t. There’s some low sugar choc bars on the market at the moment which will satisfy your cravings at a tenth of the sugar you’d have if you had a mars bar.

Research it mate. It’s worth it.

I’ve been on mine now since Sunday (day 6) and already can squeeze into my fave pair of jeans that 7 days ago I couldn’t squeeze into.

Cheers mate. Thats good going, are you doing increased exercise in addition to the diet to get such quick results?!

I'm so annoyed at myself. I started a generic low calorie diet around Feburary and went gym 3-4 times a week.  Started seeing decent results, but then all of a sudden, just a total relapse, broke my routine and never got back into it. Put all the weight back on (and more). I'm going on holiday Monday and if I continued with my diet, certainly would have lost the moob and gut!

Really need to get back on it. I am not very self-motivated in all honesty.

3 hours ago, CollinsLCFC said:

Cheers mate. Thats good going, are you doing increased exercise in addition to the diet to get such quick results?!

I'm so annoyed at myself. I started a generic low calorie diet around Feburary and went gym 3-4 times a week.  Started seeing decent results, but then all of a sudden, just a total relapse, broke my routine and never got back into it. Put all the weight back on (and more). I'm going on holiday Monday and if I continued with my diet, certainly would have lost the moob and gut!

Really need to get back on it. I am not very self-motivated in all honesty.

We’ve all been there bud. Having the zeal to start something is one thing. It’s maintaining it that’s the real challenge 

3 hours ago, LCFC FOX said:

Monday - Bacon

Tuesday - Beef

Wednesday - Chicken

Thursday - Gammon

Friday - Steak

Monday - Bacon, Egg Tomatoe and mushrooms

Tuesday - Beef with Cauliflower and Brocoli 

Wednesday - Chicken with salad - or make a Chicken curry.

Thursday - Gammon - I never eat gammon as a dinner, but i do buy a boneless joint which i eat for lunch - cut 2 thick slices, top with cream cheese and sliced tomatoe or avacado. OR topped with spinnach and egg 

Friday- Steak with french beans, mushrooms and red pepper with a pepper cream sauce

If you like Chinese fried rice, you can pick up some cauliflower rice from most super markets and quite easily make it in the pan with five spice herb a table spoon of soy sauce and add any of the above to it .. super easy, really tasty and well filling.

4 hours ago, LCFC FOX said:

If you are talking about boiled veggies then yes i think it would be, but you can get creative with them by roasting or frying in butter/coconut oil. One of my faves is making cauliflower fritters with chilli and spices. Takes a few mins to make and tastes just like potato. 

If you are stuck for what to eat, google keto receipe's... there are LOADS. 

10 hours ago, Merging Cultures said:

I've been smashing my runs this week. Fastest times in 7 years according to runkeeper.

Weightloss has slowed, but still going down a bit, and around 4 stones down in total since September.

Keto works. 

Well done fatty ...   keep it up !! ...    :)

• Like 1

Is a Fitbit worth it? Is it better than using a phone app to keep track on exercise and calories consumed? Can you also keep track of run times etc. on there?

I want to lose around a stone, but my issue is keeping track of what I'm eating and when I'm eating (I work shifts and I can never have a set meal time)

A phone app may just be the best thing for me, I was just looking for anyone elses opinion.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal