Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
knowf***all

Neutral ground

4 minutes ago, Donut said:

Totally agree it keeps the prestige of reaching Wembley to the final, keeps the tradition of the competition too.

Id also make sure that the final is definitely a 3pm Saturday kick off.

Im ok with league games being moved and I don't really mind even the introduction of Friday nights, but I think a centrepiece game like the FA cup should have a "normal" slot for broadcasting.

I don't mind league games moving as long as they're well thought out. Ie, not sending Bournemouth to Huddersfield on a Sunday at 12pm, simultaneous with Aston Villa v Birmingham. While I don't really like it, I appreciate why it happens.

Ricey absolutely nailed it for me earlier in the thread. The FA Cup final and Wembley both need to be a centrepiece. Wembley should be used six times a season (FA Cup final, League Cup final, Championship, League One and Two play-off finals, Community Shield). This season it'll be used about 30 times. It's exactly right what Ricey said, it's just another stadium now, an impressive piece of infrastructure, but pretty soulless and devalued. Too often in football are things priced and not valued.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

Really wish they had just done up the old Wembley and kept things as they were.

Semi finals at grounds like Hillsborough and Villa Park just added an extra dimension to the competition, and there used to be a certain awe around the old Wembley. These days, it's just oversaturated and soulless- a cavernous, unatmospheric corporate venue.

"Semi finals at grounds like Hillsborough and Villa Park just added an extra dimension to the competition"

32 minutes ago, boots60 said:

"Semi finals at grounds like Hillsborough and Villa Park just added an extra dimension to the competition"

Hillsborough has hosted 34 semi finals and as everybody knows, the crush which killed fans in 1989 was down to piss poor policing and crowd control, but without wanting to get sidetracked and to address the original points

1) no problem with spurs using Wembley but the capacity should have been limited to current WHL levels AND Spurs should not be benefiting financially from the arrangement (I don't know whether they are or not)

2) Semi Finals, in general, should be played away from Wembley. Plenty of adequate stadia around the country

3) in the case of this specific season with Tottenham groundshare arrangement, then if they do get to the semis, it should be played somewhere else neutral

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Hillsborough has hosted 34 semi finals and as everybody knows, the crush which killed fans in 1989 was down to piss poor policing and crowd control, but without wanting to get sidetracked and to address the original points

1) no problem with spurs using Wembley but the capacity should have been limited to current WHL levels AND Spurs should not be benefiting financially from the arrangement (I don't know whether they are or not)

2) Semi Finals, in general, should be played away from Wembley. Plenty of adequate stadia around the country

3) in the case of this specific season with Tottenham groundshare arrangement, then if they do get to the semis, it should be played somewhere else neutral

This is the point I was trying to make, if it's somewhere neutral, the other team loses out financially compared to the 2 teams in the other semi final being held at Wembley 

20 hours ago, Dave Fishwick said:

where would you have had them play their matches?

The point he makes is valid.

Spurs will get an advantage from playing their Semis or final at their home ground of Wembley. They should have been made to play every round before the semis away from home.

In the old days if Villa got to the semis it wasn't played at Villa Park.

54 minutes ago, FIF said:

Spurs will get an advantage from playing their Semis or final at their home ground of Wembley. They should have been made to play every round before the semis away from home.

Jesus you must be old if you can remember Villa getting to the semis !lol

5 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Jesus you must be old if you can remember Villa getting to the semis !lol

It's not that long ago. Old trafford in 96. I was at Villa Park in 82 when Spurs beat us and poor old Ian wilson. After our incredible 5-2 win over Shrewsbury I thought that was our year.

Agree completely that it would have been better to refurbish the old Wembley and keep the semis at neutral grounds elsewhere. Anyone who's been to the Olympiastadion in Berlin can tell you that a well refurbished old ground gives you the best of both worlds - a stadium that loses none of its character while giving you top quality facilities.

The new Wembley just looks and feels like a bigger Emirates.

Edited by Bilo

2 hours ago, FIF said:

It's not that long ago. Old trafford in 96. I was at Villa Park in 82 when Spurs beat us and poor old Ian wilson. After our incredible 5-2 win over Shrewsbury I thought that was our year.

That was my first game I can remember as a city fan. Always hated Ian Wilson after that

21 hours ago, FIF said:

of course he's got a point about the cup, not disputing that, and would hope if they do make the Semi that someone does raise the point to the FA to at least put a bit of pressure on

I'm on about league matches, OP went ranting that they shouldn't have been allowed to play there full stop

5 hours ago, Dave Fishwick said:

of course he's got a point about the cup, not disputing that, and would hope if they do make the Semi that someone does raise the point to the FA to at least put a bit of pressure on

I'm on about league matches, OP went ranting that they shouldn't have been allowed to play there full stop

I would hardly say ranting

the original question was about the semi final of the fa cup, this season in particular, being held at Wembley if spurs reach the semis 

i think mr fishwick doth protest too much... maybe a member of the fighting cock lot

Edited by knowf***all