Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DANGEROUS TIGER

Longest Walk / Hike

57 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Yeah sorry I could have been clearer - I can understand 5 or so miles on a nice day being good, as I do that with my labrador at weekends, but trudging all day in drizzle in shit-up boots with blistering feet is a different kettle of fish

Something for Welsh sheep farmers to do huh?  Lol

No Guides,No Sherpas,and before Most treks became organised.

Every Return...Braggy-park and Charnwood

1 day on the Munros

2 days grand-canyon

Several 4 days,In mexican Jungle

Several 3 days in the Rockies,at various Points.

With my Kids under 6(very proud Moments):-

5 days Annurpurna

3-6 days several original Base camps,Nepal

2-7 days Afghanistan/Pakistan/India Long treks for Nature and remote villages/monastries

1+3days Gahngtok Sikkim.

Then some 1 day treks,just to begin 1 week treks from the above. ich

Like somebody mentioned,ITS Not about being Extremily  fit,but become accusstomed,

and gather hiking/Trekking Fitness.Orientiering nous is an advantage,but today in all

the remote Classic walks,and treks,trails there Tends to be many 'hit you in the head'

Signs.Well written and appointed easy Maps.In Nepal,but Not necessary in India/Pakistan/Afghanistan,good State/ Military Maps.

Herders huts/meadows,Tea-Houses,workers shelter for the Short Peak seasons.

And the odd remote hamlets,some Military.

There have been thousands of Changes in the Last 15yrs. Trail charges,fixed and Partitionen Times

in allowing treks(inca-trail,and parts of Nepal)  India/Canada/USA/parts of S.America/Persia is still remote.

But classic Nepal and some Indian trails have become Tourist Magnets,where IMO the charges

have become unfair and ridiculous. Thankfully my Experiences Go Back before time began..

A small Tip..though India now have foreign tourist prices compared to locals,

If you fancy an animal experience, forest park-govt Bungalows are a good way

to have a relaxing 1-2-3, day or week especially when situativ in a waterhole. 

ITS Just Magic watching from early Dawn to Dusk,the various animals meander

from one Side in the early Rising sun ,then Return at their Individual Turns through to night

from the other Side. During the whole day,and night Listening to the Jungle/Savannah Sounds.

Watching,discover behaviour of all ,when Queen Tiger and Cubs,or Leopard come for their Turn.

One might even become to hear Late night,early morning the struggles between..

Tiger + Sambar( though a deer,No easy Prey for Stripey,often Sambar win the day,largest deer)

If you have luck, Tiger + Elephant big fights. 

But ITS Not Just the big Guys,the other Jungle folk are Just AS interesting,If Not so spectacular.

Oh..half day,full days...one can Hook a Ranger for Jeep /Elephant or great walking 

Tours.Even accompanied night stays in high Covered platforms-huts.

Cheaper than Africa,the Rangers are great.

WE had Lück,we Shared  Bungalows Site(2) with the Most famous Indian tiger

Photographer ,who one day shown US the Magic of the founa and small animal

Life. The Next He came in our own expeditions Wagon,where we both looked for

Tiger,and local Tapir.  I travelled in my own AL28 through India.

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Buce said:

In truth, as unlikely as it may seem, a thru-hike isn't particularly a great feat of physical endurance - if you can hike ten miles, you can hike a thousand. Very few hikers start a hike trail fit (to draw a football analogy think match fit), it's something that is achieved by the act of hiking. What sets successful thru-hikers apart is mental strength. Statistically, 50% of aspiring Appalachian Trail thru-hikers quit the trail within the first 200 miles, and the reason is usually not lack of physical preparation, but rather lack of mental preparation. You need to accept that it's sometimes going to be tough; that you're going to stink; that sometimes you'll get wet and stay that way for days; that you're going to be hungry (the infamous hiker hunger - no matter how much food you're prepared to carry, you will mostly be running a calorific deficit). A successful thru-hiker embraces it. There is something spiritually magnificent about paring your life down to the simplicity of the hike - eat, break camp, hike, make camp, eat, sleep. Rinse and repeat. When you think about it, the way we live our lives is a very recent thing in evolutionary terms. Up until we became 'civilised' we lived a life where our only possessions were those we needed to live, and we carried them with us. For me, thru-hiking is about getting in touch with that spiritual vibe that our ancestors enjoyed. About communing with nature and a more natural way of life. About knowing that everything I need to be self-reliant is in that pack on my back. About forgetting - for a while at least - all the man-made stresses of modern life. Like life, a thru-hike is about the journey, not the destination.

I've never walked/hiked for more than a fortnight at a time due to work/family commitments. But I can imagine enjoying longer walks/hikes in 4-5 years' time, once daughter is launched and if my health is OK.

I enjoy walking solo in nature and the physicality of long walks - and can relate to what you say about the mentality. The odd time that I've walked with friends, I've not enjoyed it as much - though it can be good to bump into people en route or at the end of the day. There is often something pleasurable about tiredness, hunger, aching muscles and sweat - and it certainly makes eating, resting and getting clean a greater pleasure when you're finally able to do that.

Whether I'd want to do continuous walks of 2000+ miles I'm not so sure. That must presumably have taken at least 3-4 months, which might be too much isolation from civilisation for me. Out of curiosity, how did you fund that? Though, I suppose that if you are camping and buying little apart from ifood, the cost wouldn't be that great - so long as you don't have ongoing expenses back in civvy street (dependent family, mortgage/rent etc.).

Incidentally, in case you misunderstood, I wasn't describing my Cornish Coastal Path venture so as to advocate "great feats of physical endurance", more having a laugh at my bad planning. I take your point that you develop fitness as you walk, but attempting almost 20 miles per day on sometimes difficult terrain as a first long venture was bad planning. I had 2 weeks off and tried to do it all in a fortnight. I'd have been better advised to have split it up and done it over 3 weeks.

27 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I've never walked/hiked for more than a fortnight at a time due to work/family commitments. But I can imagine enjoying longer walks/hikes in 4-5 years' time, once daughter is launched and if my health is OK.

I enjoy walking solo in nature and the physicality of long walks - and can relate to what you say about the mentality. The odd time that I've walked with friends, I've not enjoyed it as much - though it can be good to bump into people en route or at the end of the day. There is often something pleasurable about tiredness, hunger, aching muscles and sweat - and it certainly makes eating, resting and getting clean a greater pleasure when you're finally able to do that.

Yeah, I think what you say about walking with friends is quite common. I was hiking solo, but I found that even those hiking in groups would hike at their own pace then reconvene at the shelters at the end of the day.

Whether I'd want to do continuous walks of 2000+ miles I'm not so sure. That must presumably have taken at least 3-4 months, which might be too much isolation from civilisation for me.

The average time for completing the AT is somewhere between 5-6 months, based on an average mileage of around 15 miles a day, but it really depends on how much time is spent in trail towns. Apart from in Maine, where you pass through the '100-mile wilderness', you are never more than five days or so from a road where you can hitch to a nearby town for food resupply, and many hikers take the opportunity to do laundry and spend the night in a warm bed, often taking a 'zero-day' the following day (a zero-day is a day spent not hiking). Some spend more time doing that than others; I only visited towns for resupply and laundry usually, so it took me just over five months.

Out of curiosity, how did you fund that? Though, I suppose that if you are camping and buying little apart from ifood, the cost wouldn't be that great - so long as you don't have ongoing expenses back in civvy street (dependent family, mortgage/rent etc.).

It's usually quoted as costing a dollar a mile to thru-hike the AT, not including gear and transport costs. At that time I was single with no other financial commitments, so it was probably cheaper than it would have been living a 'normal' lifestyle. In that period of my life, I had developed a routine of working through the winter (living extremely frugally to save as much as possible), then travelling until the money ran out. Because I wasn't spending much in trail towns my only ongoing expenses were food and replacement boots (I wore out two pairs) so it worked out quite a bit cheaper than a dollar a mile for me.

Incidentally, in case you misunderstood, I wasn't describing my Cornish Coastal Path venture so as to advocate "great feats of physical endurance", more having a laugh at my bad planning. I take your point that you develop fitness as you walk, but attempting almost 20 miles per day on sometimes difficult terrain as a first long venture was bad planning. I had 2 weeks off and tried to do it all in a fortnight. I'd have been better advised to have split it up and done it over 3 weeks.

No, it was completely unrelated, Alf. 

I think I was just thinking out loud intending to offer encouragement to anyone who might fancy trying it but discount it due to the mistaken belief that you need to be extremely fit. Of course, the fitter you are, the easier those first weeks gaining trail fitness is, but it's not essential.

Actually, I did a fair bit of day walking along the Cornish coastal path with the family last summer (mainly around The Lizard area) and found the terrain quite challenging. I certainly wouldn't want to be carrying a pack on it for anything more than 10-15 miles a day.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Buce said:

Yeah, I think what you say about walking with friends is quite common. I was hiking solo, but I found that even those hiking in groups would hike at their own pace then reconvene at the shelters at the end of the day.

The average time for completing the AT is somewhere between 5-6 months, based on an average mileage of around 15 miles a day, but it really depends on how much time is spent in trail towns. Apart from in Maine, where you pass through the '100-mile wilderness', you are never more than five days or so from a road where you can hitch to a nearby town for food resupply, and many hikers take the opportunity to do laundry and spend the night in a warm bed, often taking a 'zero-day' the following day (a zero-day is a day spent not hiking). Some spend more time doing that than others; I only visited towns for resupply and laundry usually, so it took me just over five months.

It's usually quoted as costing a dollar a mile to thru-hike the AT, not including gear and transport costs. At that time I was single with no other financial commitments, so it was probably cheaper than it would have been living a 'normal' lifestyle. In that period of my life, I had developed a routine of working through the winter (living extremely frugally to save as much as possible), then travelling until the money ran out. Because I wasn't spending much in trail towns my only ongoing expenses were food and replacement boots (I wore out two pairs) so it worked out quite a bit cheaper than a dollar a mile for me.

No, it was completely unrelated, Alf. 

I think I was just thinking out loud intending to offer encouragement to anyone who might fancy trying it but discount it due to the mistaken belief that you need to be extremely fit. Of course, the fitter you are, the easier those first weeks gaining trail fitness is, but it's not essential.

Actually, I did a fair bit of day walking along the Cornish coastal path with the family last summer (mainly around The Lizard area) and found the terrain quite challenging. I certainly wouldn't want to be carrying a pack on it for anything more than 10-15 miles a day.

I have wanted to walk at least part of the Appalachian Trail ever since reading 'A Walk in the Woods' by Bill Bryson.

Not sure I'll ever get to do it!

Just now, pds said:

I have wanted to walk at least part of the Appalachian Trail ever since reading 'A Walk in the Woods' by Bill Bryson.

Not sure I'll ever get to do it!

Meh. Bryson is a fraud.

What do you think would prevent you, if you don't mind me asking?

14 minutes ago, pds said:

Ha, I like his books.

Me too, but 'A Walk in the Woods' was just that - a walk in the woods. I've heard from good authority that he was frequently picked up at the end of the day and taken off trail to a hotel*, and he quit long before halfway.

allegedly*

Young kids and lack of money :(

Never say never, mate - your kids won't always be young and money can be saved.

Over seven hundred people have successfully thru-hiked in their sixties, fifty-something in their seventies, and just last year it was completed by a man of 82 (!! :o), so you have plenty of time.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Buce said:

Me too, but 'A Walk in the Woods' was just that - a walk in the woods. I've heard from good authority that he was frequently picked up at the end of the day and taken off trail to a hotel*, and he quit long before halfway.

allegedly*

Never say never, mate - your kids won't always be young and money can be saved.

Over seven hundred people have successfully thru-hiked in their sixties, fifty-something in their seventies, and just last year it was completed by a man of 82 (!! :o), so you have plenty of time.

Oh yeah, he didn't especially impress me with his walking skills, just his writing and description of the place made me want to do it.

I may get there one day.

1 minute ago, pds said:

Oh yeah, he didn't especially impress me with his walking skills, just his writing and description of the place made me want to do it.

I may get there one day.

Yeah, he's a fabulous author, no doubt about that.

I guess it just irks me that he has made a lot of money for something he didn't really do (allegedly).

22 hours ago, Buce said:

Currently, the longest is the Appalachian Trail (Approx 2,140 miles at the time - it varies with reroutes year on year, currently approx 2,200).

I will probably do it again before I hang up my boots, and the Bibbulmun Track (Western Australia, 1,000km) and the Te Araroa (New Zealand, 3,000km) are definitely on the cards. 

I haven't given up on the idea of the Pacific Crest Trail (USA, 2,650 miles) and the Continental Divide Trail (USA, 3,100 miles), though age may not be on my side for those.

Oh wow! That is truly amazing. Hope you do manage more. Well done indeed. :worship: :appl:

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'm booked up to do the Hadrian's Wall path in July. Any top tips, DT? Any bits particularly strenuous or memorable?

I have the OS map book and have done a bit of research, but mainly just to plan accommodation. Will read up a bit more before July.

I'm certainly not in Buce's league, but my most bonkers undertaking was most of the Cornish Coastal Path about 20 years ago.

I wasn't particularly fit or used to walking but took it into my head to walk the whole Cornish Path (275 miles) in a fortnight, with a full backpack in the middle of a summer heatwave.

Some of that path is very easy (flat clifftops/seafronts) but some is up and down series of rocky promontories or across heavy sandy beaches.

I didn't make it all the way but, being a stubborn git, did manage about 224 miles. I lost almost 1.5 stone in a fortnight and ended up looking like a slim George Michael (tan + bleached hair) with a heel blister the size of a potato. lol

Did a similar bit of madness in my 20s, about 27 miles in 7 hours with a full backpack mainly up a pass in the Pyrenees. Couldn't walk properly for 3 days afterwards.

Thames Estuary to Mersey Estuary might have been longer, but did that over a number of weekends and a couple of holiday weeks over a year.....so that was a saner mission.

So much is memorable, but perhaps the best stretch is from Harrows Scar to Birdoswald  which has a good amount of Wall, some ten courses high. It is a great walk, and if fit, should not present a problem.  It's craggy in parts, with some good views..

If you can get hold of a book called The Roman Wall, (Comprehensive History and Guide), by Frank Graham, you will have the very best book to carry with you, and it tells you what to ;look out for, and where, as well as the history.

Don't miss out the museum at Vindolanda. It's a must.

If you want more specific information, just ask.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

No Guides,No Sherpas,and before Most treks became organised.

Every Return...Braggy-park and Charnwood

1 day on the Munros

2 days grand-canyon

Several 4 days,In mexican Jungle

Several 3 days in the Rockies,at various Points.

With my Kids under 6(very proud Moments):-

5 days Annurpurna

3-6 days several original Base camps,Nepal

2-7 days Afghanistan/Pakistan/India Long treks for Nature and remote villages/monastries

1+3days Gahngtok Sikkim.

Then some 1 day treks,just to begin 1 week treks from the above. ich

Like somebody mentioned,ITS Not about being Extremily  fit,but become accusstomed,

and gather hiking/Trekking Fitness.Orientiering nous is an advantage,but today in all

the remote Classic walks,and treks,trails there Tends to be many 'hit you in the head'

Signs.Well written and appointed easy Maps.In Nepal,but Not necessary in India/Pakistan/Afghanistan,good State/ Military Maps.

Herders huts/meadows,Tea-Houses,workers shelter for the Short Peak seasons.

And the odd remote hamlets,some Military.

There have been thousands of Changes in the Last 15yrs. Trail charges,fixed and Partitionen Times

in allowing treks(inca-trail,and parts of Nepal)  India/Canada/USA/parts of S.America/Persia is still remote.

But classic Nepal and some Indian trails have become Tourist Magnets,where IMO the charges

have become unfair and ridiculous. Thankfully my Experiences Go Back before time began..

A small Tip..though India now have foreign tourist prices compared to locals,

If you fancy an animal experience, forest park-govt Bungalows are a good way

to have a relaxing 1-2-3, day or week especially when situativ in a waterhole. 

ITS Just Magic watching from early Dawn to Dusk,the various animals meander

from one Side in the early Rising sun ,then Return at their Individual Turns through to night

from the other Side. During the whole day,and night Listening to the Jungle/Savannah Sounds.

Watching,discover behaviour of all ,when Queen Tiger and Cubs,or Leopard come for their Turn.

One might even become to hear Late night,early morning the struggles between..

Tiger + Sambar( though a deer,No easy Prey for Stripey,often Sambar win the day,largest deer)

If you have luck, Tiger + Elephant big fights. 

But ITS Not Just the big Guys,the other Jungle folk are Just AS interesting,If Not so spectacular.

Oh..half day,full days...one can Hook a Ranger for Jeep /Elephant or great walking 

Tours.Even accompanied night stays in high Covered platforms-huts.

Cheaper than Africa,the Rangers are great.

WE had Lück,we Shared  Bungalows Site(2) with the Most famous Indian tiger

Photographer ,who one day shown US the Magic of the founa and small animal

Life. The Next He came in our own expeditions Wagon,where we both looked for

Tiger,and local Tapir.  I travelled in my own AL28 through India.

Steady on, I'm out of breath just reading that.

30 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Oh wow! That is truly amazing. Hope you do manage more. Well done indeed. :worship: :appl:

Thanks, DT. :)

It's all dependent on retaining good health, of course, and I'm sixty next year, so there are no guarantees on that score. But I've always planned to get back to it once my daughter has grown and she turns sixteen next year so I feel able to start making tentative plans.

3 hours ago, Buce said:

Thanks, DT. :)

It's all dependent on retaining good health, of course, and I'm sixty next year, so there are no guarantees on that score. But I've always planned to get back to it once my daughter has grown and she turns sixteen next year so I feel able to start making tentative plans.

I must say..Keep If Up as Long AS you can,I have now Walking disabilities,and so Happy I was Young(er)

When Trekking Alone..or with great wife,then the Kids. My older Daughter has taken Up the trekking Virus,

China/India, Bhutan,and other autonomous regions. Another Daughter has ventured Into the world of

Finding practicums,in Exotic places ,as Well AS hardious MT German areas...

My other 2,Like the easyway of hols. Then Join adventure groups underway..

To anyone,to all

If Your half healthy,...hiking,walks,  Trekking,  canoe  adventures,

Into even the local various shire remote areas,or Just quiet countryside Pays you Back

a thousands Times. Eagles,Buzzards,Kites,Osprey ,fish foxes,badges,Insects you've never Seen ,flowers

then stopping,taking time top See,to draw-in, to breath the moment.even on a Bike,ITS Not the kms,

its that fantastic Word I often use ITS the journey.

Today their is now the past Time of Forest tree climbing,my Younger  Daughter is a qualified instructor.

Though she is now Into adventure Eventing Management.

I had the one dream of the China wall walk.obviously much is in Ruin,but one can follow the Base

Foundations. One still needs Special Visa or permits. Now for me too late.

12yrs ago I Met a British Girl who done It and actually Met her eventual husband (who had  Packed it in),

on the Return Trek.She was one of the few who did it Off her own Back,and organised her own

Programm and sh*t. She learnt Smatterings of the various dialects/ language underway,but No fluency.

She did eventually,have IT Reported by Reuters,and a few Ami and Aussi adventure mags.

She took over a year,to complete the then recognised sections.There was then No guided or

organised section walks,Like today.She sometimes  found guides who,wanted to learn English,

So she had Off week stops,to pay Her way.Not once was she Threatened.

At one time she came across a Western adventure  TV-team,who didnt believe her.

They had Spent nearly $200,000 Dollars.She with her present Guide,then shown them

Camera videos.who Payed for the Videos....

Places she went,are now often again Off Limits. Not Just govt.but local folk + villages Put Limits

Up,and restrictions...What a Woman.!!

I have Met on my travels,many great women who had the travel Bug,my wife thankfully one of them,

Thanks to that Type...I could fulfill my adventurous travel dreams,all treks organised complete,

but my Later year disabilities,prevented organising the Next dream...No Blame Just Life,but hey-ho!!

So again to you all in this Forum,If you want,you Desire to Break Out and Your Body and mind

is Up for it..No excuses of House ,Home and Kids,it Just might be Your wife is Up and ready.

If she is,so are Your Kids,ITS Not what you might leave behind,ITS the stride and Next door

You step Into.

Although I now have one,I never Lived for a Static House and Home.

I Stopped a Couple of Times for social responsibilities......then Kicked off again .

But a Couple of health Problems,Kicked in when 1st litter, became school age,

WE both,my wife and I ,were on the Brink,but Leg strength and simple phyical disabilities

My Side Just decided for us.We were Planning  Heading for mongolia,so we Said Shit and built

a very mundane house,and joined the masses.

If you Like easy travel,and rolling Experiences,world wide there are some great train complete,

or hopping on and Off journeys..lazey-easy, travel,adventure wide-eyes Trips travel,or

also ,both just to get you to Your chosen Destination,to begin Your fun.

Then again Just jump Back on ,for the return Journey taking a different route,let the Kids plan and Choose.

A Tip a thought..old USSR countries and european eastern cultures,

have Open Doors/Border  for rustical adventure or easy layed back travel

Not forgetting belonging to the 1st Generations in this era,to Go to the known

But seldom visited countries,is an adventure itself. Not so expensive per day.

Go for it. !!!! Have a crack,

Then write /Post a few odes on this Forum..

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, pds said:

Ha, I like his books.

Young kids and lack of money :(

10 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Whether I'd want to do continuous walks of 2000+ miles I'm not so sure. That must presumably have taken at least 3-4 months, which might be too much isolation from civilisation for me. Out of curiosity, how did you fund that? Though, I suppose that if you are camping and buying little apart from ifood, the cost wouldn't be that great - so long as you don't have ongoing expenses back in civvy street (dependent family, mortgage/rent etc.).

If you are both, bothered on time/finances/Family commitments.

#Appalachian trail...or far Off places.shorter sections of longer trails

**Europe, nearer to Home,Shorter sections of longer trails.

Hop on - hop Off , Agent or group organisised

Hop on - Hop Off self organised..

Either with single Tickets,then decide and buy again

Or Buy Chosen full Journey,with sections of Hop on,Hop Off with various time tables.(Match n Mix)

In Italy/Switzerland/other countries one can use Tourist Office for train Connections in the  MT regions

and Plateaus,for hiking and Long treks..Hop on Hop Off,with overnight Suggestions,Farm,Herder Chalets,etc

There is @Seat 61,with world Wide Suggestions,region/international timetables,

best travel suggestions,on Admin-short cuts, or c'est la bis acceptance,but still good Info

Money saving Tips,ensuring when one buys singular sections or Block Ticket,Not always obvious

Then ideas for Sseeing,possible trekking/hiking ideas.Even winery, Gourmet and Barbie Stop overs

Some journeys are spectacular within themselves.

When one Googles @Seat61 other Website choices Pop Up,that gives

You,new ideas,comparisons,Whats the new savers.....

So If you Like hiking in other areas,on a decent budget ,Trains in Europe

Are cheaper....plus there is flexible or now even flexitrain,on really cheap Budgets,

City to City. Euro Trains also have saver tickets ,ie :- across  countries

Munich - Rome/Venice. Then various saver tickets through regions/across shires.

Sometimes even 1st class saving offers,or Upgrades..

Then great Family Tickets...choose Well,be travel wise,Chose Out of season regional  Kids Holidays.

May differ in different countries,France and Italy might have Suprising offers parts of june-September.

Research,dare then Go Out...The train in England,could be hell of alot more expensive has the whole

Chosen Journey in Europe.Or Drive over to Starting Station.

With a Bit of head' Work,there are many saving possibilties.

If one is really financialy tightly strapped,UK has some great,Long Challenging hikes.

If one has Kids,No Matter what age,get those Boots a Walking.Take interest in local

Fauna,Birds,Snakes,frogs,Fish, Ruins Sites,water Features,History..beaches If near,

You Show interest the Kids will follow, with the obvious Yap Late in the day ,but still enjoy IT and

Educate themselves and you.Importantly give them a subject to Talk about,end of day,during the day.

ASK them to Show you...Sometimes the kms are Important,and the Challenge of Terrain,

Kids Like a stubborn Challenge, then to boot seeing the flights and Attack stratadgy of Birds of Prey,

For a while,then getting Up and Triumphamt in kms of trails ventured.They will get the tent pitched

In record time,or Fall quickly to sleep in the hay in the Hut or barn.That is Priceless!!!

• Like 1

On 16/05/2018 at 03:23, Buce said:

Currently, the longest is the Appalachian Trail (Approx 2,140 miles at the time - it varies with reroutes year on year, currently approx 2,200).

I will probably do it again before I hang up my boots, and the Bibbulmun Track (Western Australia, 1,000km) and the Te Araroa (New Zealand, 3,000km) are definitely on the cards. 

I haven't given up on the idea of the Pacific Crest Trail (USA, 2,650 miles) and the Continental Divide Trail (USA, 3,100 miles), though age may not be on my side for those.

That's an amazing achievement. Very well done!

I remember reading about both the Appalachian Trail and Pacific Crest Trail when I was a teenager, and feeling incredibly inspired by what the hikers had achieved and what they must have experienced. I ordered an old Pacific Crest Trail Handbook at the time, which is still sitting in a box at home.

Probably over ten years later, I've left work for a while in order to travel about and having completed a bunch of multi-day hikes in the last year, am left pondering how amazing it must be to attempt one of the big ones. Each hike has been by far the best of the experiences that I have had whilst away from home. 

With you having completed the Appalachian Trail, are there any resources that you'd reccommend to someone that'd be interesting in learning more about through-hiking? Anything from hearing what the experience is like, to actually planning for such a feat would be interesting to read.

I'm sure there is a bunch of stuff out there, although questioning someone who's overcome such a challenge is usually better than a Google search.

1 hour ago, samlcfc said:

That's an amazing achievement. Very well done!

I remember reading about both the Appalachian Trail and Pacific Crest Trail when I was a teenager, and feeling incredibly inspired by what the hikers had achieved and what they must have experienced. I ordered an old Pacific Crest Trail Handbook at the time, which is still sitting in a box at home.

Probably over ten years later, I've left work for a while in order to travel about and having completed a bunch of multi-day hikes in the last year, am left pondering how amazing it must be to attempt one of the big ones. Each hike has been by far the best of the experiences that I have had whilst away from home. 

With you having completed the Appalachian Trail, are there any resources that you'd reccommend to someone that'd be interesting in learning more about through-hiking? Anything from hearing what the experience is like, to actually planning for such a feat would be interesting to read.

I'm sure there is a bunch of stuff out there, although questioning someone who's overcome such a challenge is usually better than a Google search.

Thank you. :)

Regarding planning, each of the triple-crown hikes has its own dedicated website:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/

https://www.pcta.org/

http://continentaldividetrail.org/

I'll also add a link for the other two major hikes to make my bucket list, both relatively recently established.

The Bibbulmun Track, a 1,000 km hike through the Western Australian bush:

https://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/

And, the Te Araroa Trail in New Zealand, a 3,000 km meandering hike from the tip of the North Island to the tip of the South Island.

https://www.teararoa.org.nz/

For inspiration and reading about other hikers' experiences, Trail Journals is my go-to site:

http://www.trailjournals.com/

During your research, you'll see mention of lite/ultra-lite* hiking; many hikers now take a minimalist approach to hiking, taking great pains to shave off pack weight. I've added a link to give you an idea of what it entails, and to see whether it's for you:

https://www.greenbelly.co/pages/ultralight-backpacking-tips

*Although the spelling of Thru-hike and Ultra-lite don't sit well with those of us on this side of the pond, long-distance hiking is largely an American thing, so I defer to the US spelling.

If there's anything else I can help you with, by all means just ask.

Happy hiking!

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

Regarding planning, each of the triple-crown hikes has its own dedicated website:

I'll also add a link for the other two major hikes to make my bucket list, both relatively recently established.

And, the Te Araroa Trail in New Zealand, a 3,000 km meandering hike from the tip of the North Island to the tip of the South Island.

For inspiration and reading about other hikers' experiences, Trail Journals is my go-to site:

During your research, you'll see mention of lite/ultra-lite* hiking; many hikers now take a minimalist approach to hiking, taking great pains to shave off pack weight. I've added a link to give you an idea of what it entails, and to see whether it's for you:

*Although the spelling of Thru-hike and Ultra-lite don't sit well with those of us on this side of the pond, long-distance hiking is largely an American thing, so I defer to the US spelling.

Happy hiking!

Thank you very much for the detailed response. I'll take a good read of the sites you posted and certainly be back in touch if I think of anything. Cheers for the offer.

• Like 1

I’ve hiked down to breakfast this morning and refuelled with bacon and cheese on toast x4 and 2 cups of coffee ...    I’ll be repacking my kit in a bit then hiking down to reception to order my taxi to the airport...   :thumbup:

5 hours ago, Countryfox said:

I’ve hiked down to breakfast this morning and refuelled with bacon and cheese on toast x4 and 2 cups of coffee ...    I’ll be repacking my kit in a bit then hiking down to reception to order my taxi to the airport...   :thumbup:

4stars..get IT Put Into Lonely Planet. Alot of These Short Daring treks,are easily underrated.

Who hasnt been tempted,to Turn around on the wisp of the delightfull Aroma of Bacon hanging in

the air..But If you can conquer that temptatation, the Taxi Driver can give you Bible of education..:rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Too right, CF.

Those moobs won't grow themselves... :giggle:

5 hours ago, Buce said:

Happy hiking!

Great Info!!     Out of interest,because we now live in y different world  and I have Trekked in different Times.

Picking Up Freshwater on trails.On the longhaul treks,one cant Just Pop Into the local bear or Yeti

Supermarket,to top Up ,prepairing  for the Next stretch Though I Always took a Filter,I also always drank,

and Topped Up from virgin mountain streams,usually ones where Villages above would Not be using.

USA /NZ /Canada trekking,was easier ,because often there were

No human settlements in the Higher regions. 

Where Nepal/India etc, one could find hamlets,in the remote regions,then one had to be wary,

when chosing streams or mountain Pool runoffs.

What is IT Like today ???? are those babbling streams,or fresh water Pool/Pond,runoffs

from MT streams, or springe still okay to Drink directly from.??

In Germany/Austria/Italy /Poland one can find Info on fwater springs, while  hiking,often from locals,

or the local Tourist map Not always from standard Maps..

Prepairing for longhaul treks,many still forget to Take in the must  water stops,

Knowledge of what lays ahead, talking ,getting in Conversation with locals

can often lighten ones Pack. In my Last hikes of yesteryear,it suprised

Me in this new Generation of Macho,non communitive people,who concentrate on

their new gadget watches,planned Well  to the Last Turn,the Last Stone or Bush,

then forgot to Take water intake-needs ,Into their Detailed Planning.

Come across many groups,and individuals,who I had to lead to water,Share was Not

Always an Option!!!

Though I was never on a planned schedule,so going Off my track,

Never bothered me,all untracked never been areas were always interesting.

Just annyoying ,I had to Tell educated people they were numnuts,for Not considering

Basic water and food needs.

3 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Great Info!!     Out of interest,because we now live in y different world  and I have Trekked in different Times.

Picking Up Freshwater on trails.On the longhaul treks,one cant Just Pop Into the local bear or Yeti

Supermarket,to top Up ,prepairing  for the Next stretch Though I Always took a Filter,I also always drank,

and Topped Up from virgin mountain streams,usually ones where Villages above would Not be using.

USA /NZ /Canada trekking,was easier ,because often there were

No human settlements in the Higher regions. 

Where Nepal/India etc, one could find hamlets,in the remote regions,then one had to be wary,

when chosing streams or mountain Pool runoffs.

What is IT Like today ???? are those babbling streams,or fresh water Pool/Pond,runoffs

from MT streams, or springe still okay to Drink directly from.??

In Germany/Austria/Italy /Poland one can find Info on fwater springs, while  hiking,often from locals,

or the local Tourist map Not always from standard Maps..

Prepairing for longhaul treks,many still forget to Take in the must  water stops,

Knowledge of what lays ahead, talking ,getting in Conversation with locals

can often lighten ones Pack. In my Last hikes of yesteryear,it suprised

Me in this new Generation of Macho,non communitive people,who concentrate on

their new gadget watches,planned Well  to the Last Turn,the Last Stone or Bush,

then forgot to Take water intake-needs ,Into their Detailed Planning.

Come across many groups,and individuals,who I had to lead to water,Share was Not

Always an Option!!!

Though I was never on a planned schedule,so going Off my track,

Never bothered me,all untracked never been areas were always interesting.

Just annyoying ,I had to Tell educated people they were numnuts,for Not considering

Basic water and food needs.

Although I've heard anecdotally of hikers who take water directly from streams, most carry filters which technology has made lightweight enough to be feasible for backpackers to carry. This, for example,  will filter out 99.99999% of bacteria, such as E.coli, salmonella and cholera, and 99.9999% of protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium, yet weighs in at just 3 ozs.