Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DANGEROUS TIGER

Longest Walk / Hike

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Although I've heard anecdotally of hikers who take water directly from streams, most carry filters which technology has made lightweight enough to be feasible for backpackers to carry. This, for example,  will filter out 99.99999% of bacteria, such as E.coli, salmonella and cholera, and 99.9999% of protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium, yet weighs in at just 3 ozs.

Interesting...ThX :)

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 20:27, Buce said:

Thanks, DT. :)

It's all dependent on retaining good health, of course, and I'm sixty next year, so there are no guarantees on that score. But I've always planned to get back to it once my daughter has grown and she turns sixteen next year so I feel able to start making tentative plans.

Good luck to you, hope it all pans out. :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 00:49, Alf Bentley said:

I'm booked up to do the Hadrian's Wall path in July. Any top tips, DT? Any bits particularly strenuous or memorable?

I have the OS map book and have done a bit of research, but mainly just to plan accommodation. Will read up a bit more before July.

I'm certainly not in Buce's league, but my most bonkers undertaking was most of the Cornish Coastal Path about 20 years ago.

I wasn't particularly fit or used to walking but took it into my head to walk the whole Cornish Path (275 miles) in a fortnight, with a full backpack in the middle of a summer heatwave.

Some of that path is very easy (flat clifftops/seafronts) but some is up and down series of rocky promontories or across heavy sandy beaches.

I didn't make it all the way but, being a stubborn git, did manage about 224 miles. I lost almost 1.5 stone in a fortnight and ended up looking like a slim George Michael (tan + bleached hair) with a heel blister the size of a potato. lol

Did a similar bit of madness in my 20s, about 27 miles in 7 hours with a full backpack mainly up a pass in the Pyrenees. Couldn't walk properly for 3 days afterwards.

Thames Estuary to Mersey Estuary might have been longer, but did that over a number of weekends and a couple of holiday weeks over a year.....so that was a saner mission.

I forgot to mention that it is likely to be windy, with little cover, although after some 30 years some form of cover may have been erected. The rain, driven by high winds, can be very cold, even in midsummer, but that probably will not effect you after some of the walks you have done.

You will see plenty of robbed stones, enclosing fields, as well as farmhouses and even churches built of it.

If only it had been left alone! :huh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 00:49, Alf Bentley said:

I'm booked up to do the Hadrian's Wall path in July. Any top tips, DT? Any bits particularly strenuous or memorable?

I have the OS map book and have done a bit of research, but mainly just to plan accommodation. Will read up a bit more before July.

I'm certainly not in Buce's league, but my most bonkers undertaking was most of the Cornish Coastal Path about 20 years ago.

I wasn't particularly fit or used to walking but took it into my head to walk the whole Cornish Path (275 miles) in a fortnight, with a full backpack in the middle of a summer heatwave.

Some of that path is very easy (flat clifftops/seafronts) but some is up and down series of rocky promontories or across heavy sandy beaches.

I didn't make it all the way but, being a stubborn git, did manage about 224 miles. I lost almost 1.5 stone in a fortnight and ended up looking like a slim George Michael (tan + bleached hair) with a heel blister the size of a potato. lol

Did a similar bit of madness in my 20s, about 27 miles in 7 hours with a full backpack mainly up a pass in the Pyrenees. Couldn't walk properly for 3 days afterwards.

Thames Estuary to Mersey Estuary might have been longer, but did that over a number of weekends and a couple of holiday weeks over a year.....so that was a saner mission.

Don't forget to update us daily as to how you are getting on. I have to say I envy you doing this marvellous walk. I would love to do it again. :yesyes:

2 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Don't forget to update us daily as to how you are getting on. I have to say I envy you doing this marvellous walk. I would love to do it again. :yesyes:

There'll be no daily updates as I don't even have Internet on my phone, just use Internet on PC at home.

I'll post after (hopefully) completing the walk. If you hear nothing within a few weeks, assume that I've dropped dead of a heart attack or have failed abysmally and am too ashamed to admit it. :thumbup:

On 09/06/2018 at 15:20, Alf Bentley said:

There'll be no daily updates as I don't even have Internet on my phone, just use Internet on PC at home.

I'll post after (hopefully) completing the walk. If you hear nothing within a few weeks, assume that I've dropped dead of a heart attack or have failed abysmally and am too ashamed to admit it. :thumbup:

You may have seen this already, Alf, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/27/hadrians-wall-roman-cremation-urns-display-perfume-vase-women

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Buce said:

You may have seen this already, Alf, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/27/hadrians-wall-roman-cremation-urns-display-perfume-vase-women

Thanks. Hadn't seen that. Sounds interesting - and only a couple of miles from the trail. Sounds like a good diversion if I'm not too knackered!

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

Thanks. Hadn't seen that. Sounds interesting - and only a couple of miles from the trail. Sounds like a good diversion if I'm not too knackered!

I hadn't realised it was off-trail - I suppose an extra four miles is quite a lot.

What sort of daily mileage are you planning on?

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

About 12-13 miles per day.

So an extra four miles is a 30% increase then. I guess that is quite a lot, not just in mileage but in the additional time it adds to the day.

15 minutes ago, Buce said:

So an extra four miles is a 30% increase then. I guess that is quite a lot, not just in mileage but in the additional time it adds to the day.

Might depend on whether it's a good day or a bad day. If it's a sunny day, I'm feeling fit and have time to spare, I imagine that I'd do it. If I'm soggy, muddy, knackered and running late, I'm sure I won't.

Thanks for letting me know about it, either way. I've noted it as a potential option.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Well, @Buce, @DANGEROUS TIGER, I made it the length of the Hadrian's Wall Way week before last (only 84 miles - actually probably 90+ with 1 or 2 diversions - so no Appalachian Way).

I was hoping to post 1 or 2 photos here, but the files are too big (even as zip files) - unless someone tech-savvy has a suggestion?

An exhilarating week. About 80% of the route is pretty easy going, but the middle 20% was quite tough - at least for a relatively unfit, not-so-young chap like me, with a backpack, up and down valleys between crags in 30-degree heat.

Didn't see a single drop of rain all week and only a few hours of early morning cloud cover. Otherwise, wall-to-wall hot sun. My daughter reckoned I looked Spanish when I came back. Think I've lost a bit more weight, too (fitted into some 34'' trousers for the first time in a few years).

It was medically informative for me, too, re. my hereditary heart condition - confirming what the medics have always said. They always said that I'd be fine with vigorous exercise, so long as it was steady and not sudden - they told me not to take up weight-lifting or sprinting. Seeing as I managed to cause myself an arrhythmia 2 years back just pushing a heavy box of vinyl across the floor, yet could do this walk with no problems, looks like they were right. I say "no problems", but did notice that steep hills were more of an issue than in the past (my first multiple-day hike for about 15 years), though no general loss of stamina....down to the heart issue, not general aging/fitness, I think.

For anyone else considering the walk, I'd certainly recommend it - though you'd need to be careful on some of the steep, rocky slopes in the central section if it was slippy through rain. The path was very well marked and cleared. A fair bit of variety of terrain (for England) along the route: a small bit of urban (Newcastle and Carlisle), quite a bit of fields, gentle rolling hills, woods and riversides, the more rugged, demanding central section and a flat end section (or start section if you go W-E instead of E-W) along the marshes by Solway Firth facing Scotland with plenty of birdlife, though I have little knowledge of that.

I stayed in several bunk barns on farms, backpackers in Newcastle, above a pub, on a camp site and in a downmarket B&B in Carlisle, so not too costly. Some sections had very few places to obtain food and drink en route, so some forethought needed about that. Due to the heat, fatigue and time, I didn't make it to Roman museums en route (only the Segedunum one at Wallsend, at the start). Towards both coasts, there's little sign of the Roman wall. In the central third/half, there's quite a lot of it, though only at a low level, not full original level - though remains left of forts, milecastles, turrets and even a temple to the Sun God Mithras along the way. All in all, one of the most enjoyable, stimulating weeks I've had in many a year. I feel fitter and more vigorous for it. :thumbup:

That sounds great, Alf, and quite an achievement, particularly in the heat we've been having. :thumbup:

You joke about it not being the AT, but in fact, there is nothing in what you've said that suggests it would be beyond your abilities. Modern ultralight hiking gear is so light that it's possible to get base-weight (pack & contents but not including food and water) down to as little as 3 - 4 kg, though that is taking it to the extreme; nonetheless, a base-weight of 7 - 8 kg is easily doable, somewhere in between quite realistic. Resupply options are quite plentiful on the AT - most trail towns cater for hiker resupply, and those that don't will usually have somewhere that will hold a 'bounce box'* for you, so you'd rarely need to carry more than five days food (which equates to about five kg), the weight of which drops by the day as you eat it. Water sources are really plentiful too. If it is something you'd like to do, I certainly wouldn't discount it as being beyond you. As a matter of interest, what sort of weight were you carrying, bearing in mind your backpack was probably a couple of kg?

*a parcel containing, for example, food, spare gear, maps etc which you post ahead of you for when it's needed.

You could put your photos on a free image hosting website and embed the URL on here. https://imgur.com/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

An exhilarating week. About 80% of the route is pretty easy going, but the middle 20% was quite tough - at least for a relatively unfit, not-so-young chap like me, with a backpack, up and down valleys between crags in 30-degree heat.

Didn't see a single drop of rain all week and only a few hours of early morning cloud cover. Otherwise, wall-to-wall hot sun. My daughter reckoned I looked Spanish when I came back. Think I've lost a bit more weight, too (fitted into some 34'' trousers for the first time in a few years).

Fair play to you in this heat mate. Once out in the open with no shade there really is nowhere to hide once you start to cook. Well done, I bet you were begging for a few showers along the way!

15 minutes ago, TheyCallMeMrCarbohydrate said:

Fair play to you in this heat mate. Once out in the open with no shade there really is nowhere to hide once you start to cook. Well done, I bet you were begging for a few showers along the way!

I was certainly begging for a few water taps and a few more outlets selling cold drinks - and was questioning my sanity at times!

19 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I was certainly begging for a few water taps and a few more outlets selling cold drinks - and was questioning my sanity at times!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sawyer-Squeeze-filter-system/dp/B00UL936RE/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1531908715&sr=8-8&keywords=Sawyer+Squeeze+Water+Filter+System

23 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I went for a run the other day and was 4 miles from home without any water or money on me and desperately needed water. I should have known better but it’s horrid, isn’t it?

1 hour ago, Buce said:

That sounds great, Alf, and quite an achievement, particularly in the heat we've been having. :thumbup:

You joke about it not being the AT, but in fact, there is nothing in what you've said that suggests it would be beyond your abilities. Modern ultralight hiking gear is so light that it's possible to get base-weight (pack & contents but not including food and water) down to as little as 3 - 4 kg, though that is taking it to the extreme; nonetheless, a base-weight of 7 - 8 kg is easily doable, somewhere in between quite realistic. Resupply options are quite plentiful on the AT - most trail towns cater for hiker resupply, and those that don't will usually have somewhere that will hold a 'bounce box'* for you, so you'd rarely need to carry more than five days food (which equates to about five kg), the weight of which drops by the day as you eat it. Water sources are really plentiful too. If it is something you'd like to do, I certainly wouldn't discount it as being beyond you. As a matter of interest, what sort of weight were you carrying, bearing in mind your backpack was probably a couple of kg?

*a parcel containing, for example, food, spare gear, maps etc which you post ahead of you for when it's needed.

You could put your photos on a free image hosting website and embed the URL on here. https://imgur.com/

7 minutes ago, Buce said:

Don't know what the weight of my bag was but kept it to the bare minimum: a week's worth of light clothing, plimsolls for evening, wash gear, the odd snack.....water bottles were the heaviest item. No tent or sleeping bag as I used bunk barns etc.

With hindsight, I didn't need my LCFC hoodie or plastic mac, but couldn't have anticipated that there would be NO rain and NO cooler weather over a week in the North.

Thanks for your water filter recommendation. Might bear that in mind for any future ventures...though you're clearly a much more serious, organised hiker than I am. Will certainly consider it for any longer or wilder hikes in future.

7 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I went for a run the other day and was 4 miles from home without any water or money on me and desperately needed water. I should have known better but it’s horrid, isn’t it?

They're certainly times when you suddenly realise that water is the single most important thing you need and that everything else is secondary. 

• Like 3

On 15/05/2018 at 21:18, Costock_Fox said:

That second one is an absolute bitch.

Whernside....the biggest of the three

When I was a yoof I did the ‘Lyke Wake walk’. 40 miles across the Yorkshire moors. Took so long you started in the dark and finished nearly in the dark

On 18/07/2018 at 01:07, Alf Bentley said:

Well, @Buce, @DANGEROUS TIGER, I made it the length of the Hadrian's Wall Way week before last (only 84 miles - actually probably 90+ with 1 or 2 diversions - so no Appalachian Way).

I was hoping to post 1 or 2 photos here, but the files are too big (even as zip files) - unless someone tech-savvy has a suggestion?

It was medically informative for me, too, re. my hereditary heart condition - confirming what the medics have always said. They always said that I'd be fine with vigorous exercise, so long as it was steady and not sudden - they told me not to take up weight-lifting or sprinting. Seeing as I managed to cause myself an arrhythmia 2 years back just pushing a heavy box of vinyl across the floor, yet could do this walk with no problems, looks like they were right. I say "no problems", but did notice that steep hills were more of an issue than in the past (my first multiple-day hike for about 15 years), though no general loss of stamina....down to the heart issue, not general aging/fitness, I think.

For anyone else considering the walk, I'd certainly recommend it - though you'd need to be careful on some of the steep, rocky slopes in the central section if it was slippy through rain. The path was very well marked and cleared. A fair bit of variety of terrain (for England) along the route: a small bit of urban (Newcastle and Carlisle), quite a bit of fields, gentle rolling hills, woods and riversides, the more rugged, demanding central section and a flat end section (or start section if you go W-E instead of E-W) along the marshes by Solway Firth facing Scotland with plenty of birdlife, though I have little knowledge of that.

I stayed in several bunk barns on farms, backpackers in Newcastle, above a pub, on a camp site and in a downmarket B&B in Carlisle, so not too costly. Some sections had very few places to obtain food and drink en route, so some forethought needed about that. Due to the heat, fatigue and time, I didn't make it to Roman museums en route (only the Segedunum one at Wallsend, at the start). Towards both coasts, there's little sign of the Roman wall. In the central third/half, there's quite a lot of it, though only at a low level, not full original level - though remains left of forts, milecastles, turrets and even a temple to the Sun God Mithras along the way. All in all, one of the most enjoyable, stimulating weeks I've had in many a year. I feel fitter and more vigorous for it. :thumbup:

Brilliant achievement Alf!

• Thanks 1

Just out of interest has anybody ever done the 100 mile Leicestershire round? I've probably done about half of it in chunks, it's a little dull in places but certain stretches are delightful on a nice sunny day. The section out east towards Rutland between Burrough on the hill and Belton is well worth a go on a sunny Saturday.