Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DANGEROUS TIGER

Longest Walk / Hike

I once did a 72 hole golf challenge one midsummer's day - four rounds in one day. Teed off at 5am and finished at 9pm

It's 8.5km on average for a round, so that's 34km in a day. 

Do I win? 

49 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

The longest I have ever done was 80 odd miles along the route of Hadrian's Wall.

There must be plenty on here who have done much more, so come on let's hear about it.

Thanks for the idea, Buce. :thumbup:

Currently, the longest is the Appalachian Trail (Approx 2,140 miles at the time - it varies with reroutes year on year, currently approx 2,200).

I will probably do it again before I hang up my boots, and the Bibbulmun Track (Western Australia, 1,000km) and the Te Araroa (New Zealand, 3,000km) are definitely on the cards. 

I haven't given up on the idea of the Pacific Crest Trail (USA, 2,650 miles) and the Continental Divide Trail (USA, 3,100 miles), though age may not be on my side for those.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I once did a 72 hole golf challenge one midsummer's day - four rounds in one day. Teed off at 5am and finished at 9pm

It's 8.5km on average for a round, so that's 34km in a day. 

Do I win? 

Don’t know mate you tell us.

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Don’t know mate you tell us.

I thought it was a competition for who's done the longest walk :D

Looks like @Buce is winning as usual :rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I thought it was a competition for who's done the longest walk :D

Looks like @Buce is winning as usual :rolleyes:

The general consensus is that thru-hikers are actually insane, so I’m not sure I’m winning much. lol

• Haha 1

Did about 120km over 4 days in North West Bulgaria. Completely untouched, unspoiled part of the world. Hardly saw anybody save for a few old boys working the fields. Slept in fields for three nights, was probably the best experience of my life.

Did the Affric / Kintail way over three days last year at about 80km.

Edited by bovril
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

The longest I have ever done was 80 odd miles along the route of Hadrian's Wall.

There must be plenty on here who have done much more, so come on let's hear about it.

Thanks for the idea, Buce. :thumbup:

I'm booked up to do the Hadrian's Wall path in July. Any top tips, DT? Any bits particularly strenuous or memorable?

I have the OS map book and have done a bit of research, but mainly just to plan accommodation. Will read up a bit more before July.

I'm certainly not in Buce's league, but my most bonkers undertaking was most of the Cornish Coastal Path about 20 years ago.

I wasn't particularly fit or used to walking but took it into my head to walk the whole Cornish Path (275 miles) in a fortnight, with a full backpack in the middle of a summer heatwave.

Some of that path is very easy (flat clifftops/seafronts) but some is up and down series of rocky promontories or across heavy sandy beaches.

I didn't make it all the way but, being a stubborn git, did manage about 224 miles. I lost almost 1.5 stone in a fortnight and ended up looking like a slim George Michael (tan + bleached hair) with a heel blister the size of a potato. lol

Did a similar bit of madness in my 20s, about 27 miles in 7 hours with a full backpack mainly up a pass in the Pyrenees. Couldn't walk properly for 3 days afterwards.

Thames Estuary to Mersey Estuary might have been longer, but did that over a number of weekends and a couple of holiday weeks over a year.....so that was a saner mission.

Are there any rules to this? I mean a hike over 4 days is technically at least  4 smaller hikes within 1 hike (especially if you are sleeping in between).

Just trying to figure out if muzzys golf adventure is a winner or not.

I remember being made to do a sponsored hike at secondary school, we left at 8am and got back at 4pm, covered about 18 miles. My ankles were on absolute fire at the end of it and really sore, the thought that people do that kind of shit for fun is mind-boggling - boredom AND pain.

2 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I remember being made to do a sponsored hike at secondary school, we left at 8am and got back at 4pm, covered about 18 miles. My ankles were on absolute fire at the end of it and really sore, the thought that people do that kind of shit for fun is mind-boggling - boredom AND pain.

Being one with nature can be totally relaxing. You see all kinds of things and its nice to get away from the daily grind. I can see how a really long hike could get seriously boring/tiring but to each their own. For me i can only handle like 10km before I'm "cool with doing something else"  haha.

8 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Being one with nature can be totally relaxing. You see all kinds of things and its nice to get away from the daily grind. I can see how a really long hike could get seriously boring/tiring but to each their own. For me i can only handle like 10km before I'm "cool with doing something else"  haha.

Yeah sorry I could have been clearer - I can understand 5 or so miles on a nice day being good, as I do that with my labrador at weekends, but trudging all day in drizzle in shit-up boots with blistering feet is a different kettle of fish