Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DANGEROUS TIGER

Longest Walk / Hike

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 01:07, Alf Bentley said:

Well, @Buce, @DANGEROUS TIGER, I made it the length of the Hadrian's Wall Way week before last (only 84 miles - actually probably 90+ with 1 or 2 diversions - so no Appalachian Way).

I was hoping to post 1 or 2 photos here, but the files are too big (even as zip files) - unless someone tech-savvy has a suggestion?

An exhilarating week. About 80% of the route is pretty easy going, but the middle 20% was quite tough - at least for a relatively unfit, not-so-young chap like me, with a backpack, up and down valleys between crags in 30-degree heat.

Didn't see a single drop of rain all week and only a few hours of early morning cloud cover. Otherwise, wall-to-wall hot sun. My daughter reckoned I looked Spanish when I came back. Think I've lost a bit more weight, too (fitted into some 34'' trousers for the first time in a few years).

It was medically informative for me, too, re. my hereditary heart condition - confirming what the medics have always said. They always said that I'd be fine with vigorous exercise, so long as it was steady and not sudden - they told me not to take up weight-lifting or sprinting. Seeing as I managed to cause myself an arrhythmia 2 years back just pushing a heavy box of vinyl across the floor, yet could do this walk with no problems, looks like they were right. I say "no problems", but did notice that steep hills were more of an issue than in the past (my first multiple-day hike for about 15 years), though no general loss of stamina....down to the heart issue, not general aging/fitness, I think.

For anyone else considering the walk, I'd certainly recommend it - though you'd need to be careful on some of the steep, rocky slopes in the central section if it was slippy through rain. The path was very well marked and cleared. A fair bit of variety of terrain (for England) along the route: a small bit of urban (Newcastle and Carlisle), quite a bit of fields, gentle rolling hills, woods and riversides, the more rugged, demanding central section and a flat end section (or start section if you go W-E instead of E-W) along the marshes by Solway Firth facing Scotland with plenty of birdlife, though I have little knowledge of that.

I stayed in several bunk barns on farms, backpackers in Newcastle, above a pub, on a camp site and in a downmarket B&B in Carlisle, so not too costly. Some sections had very few places to obtain food and drink en route, so some forethought needed about that. Due to the heat, fatigue and time, I didn't make it to Roman museums en route (only the Segedunum one at Wallsend, at the start). Towards both coasts, there's little sign of the Roman wall. In the central third/half, there's quite a lot of it, though only at a low level, not full original level - though remains left of forts, milecastles, turrets and even a temple to the Sun God Mithras along the way. All in all, one of the most enjoyable, stimulating weeks I've had in many a year. I feel fitter and more vigorous for it. :thumbup:

I'm delighted you did it Alf. Very well done.

You mention Mithras. I have done a comprehensive study of the "Cult of Mithras" It was astounding, secretive, and pretty eerie to join.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Buce said:

Came across this today, @Alf Bentley - I thought it may be of interest to you:

https://www.theirelandway.ie/trail.html

Thanks. Sounds an interesting walk.

I won't be taking 40 days off any time soon, but stints of 7-10 days would be possible.

Problem is, when I get over to Ireland (about every second year) it still tends to involve family connections one way or another - meeting relations or researching them.

I'll bookmark it as an option. :thumbup:

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

Thanks. Sounds an interesting walk.

I won't be taking 40 days off any time soon, but stints of 7-10 days would be possible.

Problem is, when I get over to Ireland (about every second year) it still tends to involve family connections one way or another - meeting relations or researching them.

I'll bookmark it as an option. :thumbup:

No worries.

The website - like the walk - is new and has a few teething problems, but there is an interesting looking blog detailing the journey, with plenty of photos. I've only skimmed it atm but it sounds and looks magnificent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Hey, @bovril.

I came across this today. I know you're familiar with this part of the world and I'd be interested in any comments you might have.

Thanks for that.

I've seen it in a couple of articles before and would love to do it. You can't really go wrong round there when it comes to spectacular landscapes. I'd like to do some stretches of it in the near future.

You considering it? 

1 minute ago, bovril said:

Thanks for that.

I've seen it in a couple of articles before and would love to do it. You can't really go wrong round there when it comes to spectacular landscapes. I'd like to do some stretches of it in the near future.

You considering it? 

I've never come across it before but, yeah, it looks fantastic and will probably remain relatively unhiked (as a thru-hike, at least) for a few years yet.

It's certainly something that would interest me - it ticks all the boxes for what I look for in a hike - so I can see it making the list, yeah.

7 hours ago, Buce said:

I've never come across it before but, yeah, it looks fantastic and will probably remain relatively unhiked (as a thru-hike, at least) for a few years yet.

It's certainly something that would interest me - it ticks all the boxes for what I look for in a hike - so I can see it making the list, yeah.

You'd enjoy it. Beautiful scenery, lots of interesting culture and history and relatively unhiked as you say. The Communists obviously encouraged physical exercise and roaming the (shared) land so there are lots of very good trails and manned huts. At least in Bulgaria, maybe in ex-Yugo there'd be less after the war.

Have you ever hiked in South Tyrol? I lived in Trento for a year and did lots of walks round there. Stunning place if a little popular. I think Friuli might be a good place to go now. A little more off the beaten track.

I'm going to do quite a bit in the Apennines this early September, focusing mostly on the Marche region.  

8 minutes ago, bovril said:

You'd enjoy it. Beautiful scenery, lots of interesting culture and history and relatively unhiked as you say. The Communists obviously encouraged physical exercise and roaming the (shared) land so there are lots of very good trails and manned huts. At least in Bulgaria, maybe in ex-Yugo there'd be less after the war.

It's a part of Europe that I'm barely familiar with but I find its history fascinating and it looks amazing for hiking.

Have you ever hiked in South Tyrol? I lived in Trento for a year and did lots of walks round there. Stunning place if a little popular. I think Friuli might be a good place to go now. A little more off the beaten track.

Are the Dolomites in South Tyrol? I spent a couple of weeks hiking there about 35 years ago on a camper van tour of Italy.

I'm going to do quite a bit in the Apennines this early September, focusing mostly on the Marche region.  

That sounds wonderful. Do you plan to camp?

Just now, Buce said:

That sounds wonderful. Do you plan to camp?

No. I always stay in mountain huts or hotels, so I'm not a hardcore hiker I guess like yourself. Although in my younger days I have slept in fields when I couldn't get to civilization in time. 

I would thoroughly thoroughly recommend central Italy. The Abruzzo apennines are ruggedly beautiful and dotted with little medieval hill towns and castles. Umbria and Marche are really great for history, art, culture and food if you want to do a few days in the mountains and then a few days in the towns which is what I usually do when I go there. The people are wonderful and appreciate tourists coming after the earthquakes of recent years. 

1 minute ago, bovril said:

No. I always stay in mountain huts or hotels, so I'm not a hardcore hiker I guess like yourself. Although in my younger days I have slept in fields when I couldn't get to civilization in time.

Oh, I've slept in my fair share of mountain huts and shelters but they are more of a European thing and I've hiked more miles in the US than anywhere. I must admit, though, I do prefer the freedom and flexibility that camping gives, and with modern ultralight tents weighing in at less than a couple of pounds (even less if you use trekking poles - the tents are designed to utilise them as tent poles) and titanium tent pegs, it doesn't even burden you with a heavy pack like it used to. Tarps - which have become popular among real hardcore hikers - are lighter still, though not really suitable in extreme cold or wet weather.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Shit, I walked out to my car barefoot and nearly cried.

Yeah, but you're just a big girl. :D

I was reading an article the other day about two sisters (The Barefoot Sisters) who hiked a double traverse of the Appalachian Trail barefoot. 

https://thelongbrownpath.com/2016/12/24/the-barefoot-sisters/

• 5 weeks later...

Can anybody recommend me a decent pair of walking boots or point me in the right direction? I'm never likely to be a serious hiker but I'm headed to Switzerland for a few days at the start of next month and plan to take in a couple of hikes in the process, plus I try to get out to the country for a decent walk most weeks. I bought a pair of super cheap boots a couple of years ago and they've been fine but I really should get a new pair as they're starting to struggle now - they've served me well. Not really bothered about cost as long as its reasonable. 

18 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Can anybody recommend me a decent pair of walking boots or point me in the right direction? I'm never likely to be a serious hiker but I'm headed to Switzerland for a few days at the start of next month and plan to take in a couple of hikes in the process, plus I try to get out to the country for a decent walk most weeks. I bought a pair of super cheap boots a couple of years ago and they've been fine but I really should get a new pair as they're starting to struggle now - they've served me well. Not really bothered about cost as long as its reasonable. 

Merrell are a very good brand. and Cotswold generally are staffed well, if you have a branch local to you.

https://www.merrell.com/UK/en_GB/home

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

I bought my boots about 15 years ago for around £70 (perhaps £100+ today?) and they've been one of the best purchases I've ever made. Seen me comfortably through a fair few walks on roughish terrain. Only now thinking I might need a new pair.

Can't see a brand name on them, only Sympatex, the name of the "waterproof, breathable" fabric (very waterproof, fairly breathable in my experience - still end up with stinky socks). Strong but flexible ankle support is important, too.

I remember there was a choice between heavier boots and the lighter, but still durable boots that I bought. I definitely made the right decision. For the sort of walks that I've done (longish, but not exceptionally rough terrain), I can imagine that heavier boots would have been hard work on the calf and thigh muscles towards the end of a walk, with the risk of tripping accidents. I like the fact that my boots are quite narrow and light, so nimble at getting over stony terrain - and I expect you'd be dealing with such terrain in Switzerland, wouldn't you?

• Thanks 1

On 03/09/2018 at 15:04, Alf Bentley said:

I bought my boots about 15 years ago for around £70 (perhaps £100+ today?) and they've been one of the best purchases I've ever made. Seen me comfortably through a fair few walks on roughish terrain. Only now thinking I might need a new pair.

Can't see a brand name on them, only Sympatex, the name of the "waterproof, breathable" fabric (very waterproof, fairly breathable in my experience - still end up with stinky socks). Strong but flexible ankle support is important, too.

I remember there was a choice between heavier boots and the lighter, but still durable boots that I bought. I definitely made the right decision. For the sort of walks that I've done (longish, but not exceptionally rough terrain), I can imagine that heavier boots would have been hard work on the calf and thigh muscles towards the end of a walk, with the risk of tripping accidents. I like the fact that my boots are quite narrow and light, so nimble at getting over stony terrain - and I expect you'd be dealing with such terrain in Switzerland, wouldn't you?

I find it's getting more difficult to chose......

The perfect rollator....it's the varying treads you see!!!

those that puffer and can go over steps and boulders,are the most comfortable...

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

That looks a belter ...    but like you said ..  finding the time.    Perhaps in another life ...   :)

It helps that it's a Southern Hemisphere hike, though.

Most of the hikes I have planned are in the North, so could only do one a year during the Northern Hemisphere Spring/Summer; this one would be done over the Southern Spring/Summer which is our Autumn/Winter.