Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Pedantry Central

I can’t believe the following hasn’t been highlighted yet...has/as. 

I’ll concede it’s nowhere near Pacific/specific levels of intolerable cruelty, but has/as really takes the fvcking jam out of my doughnut. 

This thread, along with the thread that has photos of the blunts abusing Vardy are my favourite two at the moment. 

New one I've noticed happening is saying a country's name instead of the descriptive version. First time it was Trump describing Boris as "Britain Trump," when he meant "the British Trump." Idiot. Seen other people make the same mistake about other people since.

"Haitch" still makes my piss boil, but every fvcker seems to say it now. It's "aitch," in case anyone doesn't know. Can't really blame people - I had teachers at school who would say it.

Keep seeing random caps. There's often no logic to it. Can't work out how people decide what deserves a capital letter and what doesn't. If you don't know, it's just the beginning of a sentence, proper names, the word 'I', initials and shouting, I think.

Edited by Raw Dykes

1 minute ago, Raw Dykes said:

New one I've noticed happening is saying a county's name instead of the descriptive version. First time it was Trump describing Boris as "Britain Trump," when he meant "the British Trump." Idiot. Seen other people make the same mistake about other people since.

"Haitch" still makes my piss boil, but every fvcker seems to say it now. It's "aitch," in case anyone doesn't know. Can't really blame people - I had teachers at school who would say it.

Keep seeing random caps. There's often no logic to it. Can't work out how people decide what deserves a capital letter and what doesn't. If you don't know, it's just the beginning of a sentence, proper names, the word 'I', initials and shouting, I think.

And. Punctuation. For. Emphasis.

I admit hypocrisy on this one, however.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mickey O'Neil said:

Disgraceful BBC Sport. 

How could you let it slip in? 

98AB50DB-790C-44AC-B13C-2E23D4B38660.png

This particular kind of error is all too common in journalism now - it's probably down to an over-reliance on spellcheckers.

I see things like this every day.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1 September 2019 at 02:11, Mickey O'Neil said:

Disgraceful BBC Sport. 

How could you let it slip in? 

98AB50DB-790C-44AC-B13C-2E23D4B38660.png

Noticed many recent clangers perpetrated by the BBC.

It used to be a reliable reference in  matters of grammar etc., but that seems less important to them these days.

We may hope for an improvement, but it's probably in vein...(sorry).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...