Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Pedantry Central

18 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

It’s on the increase Muzzett and anyone wandering through a wood/forest can get it ...   I’ve been meaning to do a thread about it giving some practical advice, which I don’t think you get over the internet ...   if it stops just one person ending up in a wheelchair then it’s a job well done ...   :thumbup:

I was once hiking in the States with someone who caught Lyme, and because the early symptoms are common among distance hikers (aching limbs/joints, fatigue) he went untreated for several weeks and ended up in hospital on a cocktail of intravenous antibiotics.

Too late to be of any use to you, CF, but I was reading the other day that they have developed a vaccine which is being fast-tracked through the usual testing procedures - they reckon it could be available in the next two or three years.

• Like 1

Just now, Buce said:

Not the article I read @Countryfox but the same report more or less:

https://www.zmescience.com/medicine/lyme-disease-vaccine-28052018/

Save this for my new thread Bucey ...   let’s get back to pedantry ...   after all Peaky is feeling a bit down today and he does love his pedantics ...   :thumbup:

6 minutes ago, Buce said:

Not the article I read @Countryfox but the same report more or less:

https://www.zmescience.com/medicine/lyme-disease-vaccine-28052018/

And by the way that’s a very interesting article ...   cus you can catch it twice ! ...   so still useful for me.   And there’s a classic example of what I was talking about ..   it jumps straight from talking about the tic to what it does ...   the REAL help is not getting it in the first place and EXACTLY what to do to achieve that. 

2 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

And by the way that’s a very interesting article ...   cus you can catch it twice ! ...   so still useful for me.   And there’s a classic example of what I was talking about ..   it jumps straight from talking about the tic to what it does ...   the REAL help is not getting it in the first place and EXACTLY what to do to achieve that. 

In the States you can have your clothes washed in a repellent - Permethrin, I think it's called. Don't know about here but it is available as a spray.

Just now, Buce said:

In the States you can have your clothes washed in a repellent - Permethrin, I think it's called. Don't know about here but it is available as a spray.

That won’t stop then Bucey ...  believe me ...   it’s the checking afterwards, what to look for, how to spot it and how to remove it ..   do that and you reduce the chances of getting it by over 90% ...  

On 23/06/2018 at 10:56, bovril said:

It's not really. I think it's The Ukraine because the name comes from the Russian for "the border".

On 24/06/2018 at 03:17, ozleicester said:

Well no, if you are going to historical namings... England = The "Angles Land"

Therefore should we refer to it as The England?

Ukraine is the name of a country.

Only a pedant would go back several pages to make a point about a now defunct part of the discussion.

Seems like I'm in the right place, then.:thumbup:

There is no word for "the" in Russian or Ukrainian. 

They get by without definite articles.

I recall from my studies many years ago that a noun like "Dinya" meant any of "melon", "a melon" or "the melon", depending on the context.

Getting definite articles wrong is one of the ways you can spot a Russian, even if they have otherwise perfect pronunciation.

Anyway, proper usage should be "Ukraine", not "The Ukraine", just as proper usage should avoid "The Lebanon" for just "Lebanon" and (as odd as it sounds, I remember people saying this and it was in that Scottish World Cup song) "The Argentine" for "Argentina".

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Only a pedant would go back several pages to make a point about a now defunct part of the discussion.

Seems like I'm in the right place, then.:thumbup:

There is no word for "the" in Russian or Ukrainian. 

They get by without definite articles.

I recall from my studies many years ago that a noun like "Dinya" meant any of "melon", "a melon" or "the melon", depending on the context.

Getting definite articles wrong is one of the ways you can spot a Russian, even if they have otherwise perfect pronunciation.

Anyway, proper usage should be "Ukraine", not "The Ukraine", just as proper usage should avoid "The Lebanon" for just "Lebanon" and (as odd as it sounds, I remember people saying this and it was in that Scottish World Cup song) "The Argentine" for "Argentina".

Tbf I don't know Russian grammar, but nouns can be defined in South Slavic languages with suffixes, as they are similarly article-bereft. So "dinya" and "dinyata". I thought it was the same in Russian which explained the name 'the' Ukraine, but maybe not. 

Edited by bovril

8 minutes ago, bovril said:

Tbf I don't know Russian grammar, but nouns can be defined in South Slavic languages through inflection, as they are similarly article-bereft. I thought it was the same in Russian which explained the name of the Ukraine, but maybe not. 

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, surrifox said:

Exactly -that is what the saying is . But what does making a rod for your bat mean ? What did he think he meant ? 

I think people say stuff as they hear it, and their curiosity stops there. That's why propaganda works. 

On 22/06/2018 at 13:54, David Guiza said:

So many but those that spring to mind are:-

'Straight the way'

People misusing the word literally.

Also, one that is acceptable but still bothers me is when people spell 'swap' as 'swop'.  

Thank God. I'm not alone then.

• Like 1