Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Pedantry Central

On 22/06/2018 at 15:37, murphy said:

I don't think it is a question of intelligence.  I have met lots of intelligent people who are strangers to grammar and spelling.  It's just that for me, I can't walk past a misplaced apostrophe without it making my teeth itch.  I wish I could.  Get 'their' and 'there' wrong and it will ruin my weekend!  Sometimes I'll correct it even though I know I'm being a massive dick. :)

Their, their Murphy. Worry not,it bothers us all tbh.

28 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

How dare you come in here with this?!?!?!? :o

Where do I find the fishing emoji?

An edit for you're ;) edit - No space after the comma was also on porpoise.

Edited by Max Wall

On 23/06/2018 at 07:40, Vacamion said:

Instead of "definitely", with the emphasis on the first syllable, people in Scotland quite often say "definATEly" (rhymes with Mark Hateley) and then spell it like that... :blink:

That's just Glaswegians rather than Scots as far as I'm aware, isn't it?

On 25/06/2018 at 14:27, cambridgefox said:

Lad at work has so many we should write them down.

we call them robisms.

Asked me One Xmas if he could go to his daughters ACTIVITY play.

Every week talking about football.

“we’ll win them”

” it’s not far as the crow WALKS”

He was as white as a sheep

lol Brilliant. Never heard that one.

Two that I don't think have been mentioned on here yet.

1) I work in recruitment, and the amount of times I hear people talking about a "job role". After years of hearing this linguistic monstrosity, it still really grates my cheese. But then I ignore it and go to speak to an 'employer boss' about their potential new 'employee worker'.

2) "Can you itch my back?" I mean, come on. An itch is the sensation. A sensation that is stopped by scratching. Scratching your back would be a lot more useful, and is actually a verb that is possible to perform. 
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

People that pronounce 'Robertson' as 'Robinson'. 

And also, adding a random letter s after a surname, and vice versa (I hate my surname being de-pluralised). 

You mean we should have been calling you High Peak Foxes all this time? :o

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Buce said:

I hate to be a pedant... :giggle:

...but aren't some of these replies more suited to 'What Grinds My Gears'?

Very true. 

But whilst I'm in here I might as well say it...

I like the thread. I like visiting the thread. I look forward to the posts in the thread... But it rustles my f**king jimmies every time I see it:

WHY HAS NOBODY FIXED THIS THREAD'S TITLE?!

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Very true. 

I like the thread. I like visiting the thread. I look forward to the posts in the thread... But it rustles my f**king jimmies every time I see it:

What's wrong with it

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Very true. 

56 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

What's wrong with it

It's not even an oversight, there is a full stop after it.

I am often accused of pedantry. Usually by chefs whilst standing in their kitchens - conversation goes something like this:

Me "Why do you make your lasagne at home when you have a lovely big commercial kitchen?"

Chef "What do you mean, of course I make the lasagne here"

Me "Then why the fvck does it say 'Home made lasagne' on the menu"

Aah, making the world a better place, one nit-pick at a time :D

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Very true. 

Dear RoboFox

I cannot begin to express how sorry I am for my blatant disregard of English punctuation rules.

It was a long time ago when I created this topic but I can only think it must have been a very hot day, the middle of the night or after being castigated by MrsG for failing to put the toilet seat down. Either way I must have been completely disorientated and unaware of my childish mistake.

I understand there is no excuse for my actions and I am so sorry for my upsetting you. I would never wish anyone to feel that especially not on Foxestalk where mistakes like that are so rare.

Please accept my deepest apologies, I can only hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive me although due to the serious nature of the error I do not deserve your apology.

Best Regards

davieG

PS. If there any spelling, punctuation or grammar errors in my apology then I can only say :nigel:

PS. If there any spelling, punctuation or grammar errors in my apology then I can only say :nigel:

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, davieG said:

Dear RoboFox

I cannot begin to express how sorry I am for my blatant disregard of English punctuation rules.

It was a long time ago when I created this topic but I can only think it must have been a very hot day, the middle of the night or after being castigated by MrsG for failing to put the toilet seat down. Either way I must have been completely disorientated and unaware of my childish mistake.

I understand there is no excuse for my actions and I am so sorry for my upsetting you. I would never wish anyone to feel that especially not on Foxestalk where mistakes like that are so rare.

Please accept my deepest apologies, I can only hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive me although due to the serious nature of the error I do not deserve your apology.

Best Regards

davieG

No worries, Davie. 

I was just being pedantic.

54 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

No worries, Davie. 

I was just being pedantic.

:thumbup: I'm enjoying the thread although I'm  mow nervous about everything I post in case it ends up in here.:o:P

By the way it's davie not Davie :yesyes:

• Haha 2

Time for some World Cup related pedantry. The linesman that ruled England's controversial 3rd goal over the line in the 1966 World Cup final was NOT Russian. Tofiq Bahramov was Azerbaijani, and while at the time Azerbaijan was part of the USSR, that does not ever make him Russian. I wish pundits, commentators and fans would stop propagating this error.