Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Pedantry Central

On 29/06/2018 at 13:11, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Time for some World Cup related pedantry. The linesman that ruled England's controversial 3rd goal over the line in the 1966 World Cup final was NOT Russian. Tofiq Bahramov was Azerbaijani, and while at the time Azerbaijan was part of the USSR, that does not ever make him Russian. I wish pundits, commentators and fans would stop propagating this error.

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

On 27/06/2018 at 12:52, surrifox said:

Exactly -that is what the saying is . But what does making a rod for your bat mean ? What did he think he meant ? 

We had a vice principle (Just had to Google principal/principle such is the nature of this thread ?) have all the boys in the class in year 8 in for a bollocking, and told us we were making a rod for our own bikes.

Now I can't pretend I knew what she meant, but I damn sure knew she was wrong.

And to top it off, she told the really shy (gormless) lad to take that gormless look off his face. He couldn't. That was his face.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

We had a vice principle (Just had to Google principal/principle such is the nature of this thread ?) have all the boys in the class in year 8 in for a bollocking, and told us we were making a rod for our own bikes.

Now I can't pretend I knew what she meant, but I damn sure knew she was wrong.

And to top it off, she told the really shy (gormless) lad to take that gormless look off his face. He couldn't. That was his face.

I love it that you googled it and STILL spelt it wrongly. 

• Haha 3

On 01/07/2018 at 18:12, Izzy Muzzett said:

A beauty just now in the Spain v Russia match thread..

”Spain are going out with a damp squid”

lol

:o ...    takes all sorts I suppose ...   must be quite a stunner ....    as squids go.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/06/2018 at 14:27, cambridgefox said:

Lad at work has so many we should write them down.

we call them robisms.

Asked me One Xmas if he could go to his daughters ACTIVITY play.

Every week talking about football.

“we’ll win them”

” it’s not far as the crow WALKS”

”He was as white as a sheep”

Was at it again last week after our World Cup exit.

” I thought we would do gooder,it’s guttering we’re out”

This is the man when I asked him have you got 3 pallets going to my customer,he said” No,I’ve got these 2 and that 1 over there”

im not making these up.

On 29/06/2018 at 10:38, Buce said:

I was in Wigston just now and the pedant in me was provoked almost beyond endurance. Read this and weep for the Englsh language:

83FBBBF4-7E8C-43BB-B865-AE4547CA713F.jpeg.88f6272f3bca2fc879e2bbf384eff88c.jpeg

And on the other side:

25A96D49-8448-4DE0-9F81-E4AF2E31DE29.jpeg.997369fee56f04c55fcac710b54a7a97.jpeg

Ah, Heath's.

They once had a severed shark's head on display (guaranteed to draw the punters in :rolleyes:), which was bad enough, but there was a chalk sign which declared (I'm roughly paraphrasing, but the important bit at the end is verbatim), "Whilst sharks are feared as vicious predators, not all are dangerous and some even feed on plantain."

Pretty certain they meant plankton. The idea of sharks feeding on plantain has always tickled me lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Ah, Heath's.

They once had a severed shark's head on display (guaranteed to draw the punters in :rolleyes:), which was bad enough, but there was a chalk sign which declared (I'm roughly paraphrasing, but the important bit at the end is verbatim), "Whilst sharks are feared as vicious predators, not all are dangerous and some even feed on plantain."

Pretty certain they meant plankton. The idea of sharks feeding on plantain has always tickled me lol

lol

I can live with the spelling mistakes, even overlook the poor grammar,  but 'you are not at liberty to buy' made me want to scream.

• 3 weeks later...