Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Experiences of German football trips. Any advice appreciated.

@Voll Blau is the man for this.

Definitely get in the safe standing sections and have a beer during the game but I'd avoid getting too close to the ultras. It's unlikely anybody would let you get a ticket there in the first place as they're a funny bunch but make up a big part of what makes German (and European) football experiences so great. Monchengladbach and Leverkusen are relatively small cities for North Rhine-Westphalia so Düsseldorf will be a bit livelier. IIRC correctly I once read that Gladbach's ground is quite far away from the centre so bear that in mind.

Btw there's a fair few Leicester lads going to Hamburg with Bochum on Sunday the 21st :thumbup:

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 1

Gladbach's ground is miles out of town, but there are loads of free buses from the central station, where there are also a couple of bars. Failing that, street drinking is fine and you'll see plenty of fans carrying crates around town.

Buy a scarf of the teams you're watching and don't wear the colours of the oppo. Most Germans are sound as fvck but as mentioned, avoid going too close to the Ultras.

If you want food and drink at the ground, some clubs operate a pre-paid card system you have to go to a kiosk for (can't remember if this was the case at Gladbach), so be aware of that.

Obviously I'm biased but if you do have a few hours spare, there are some great bars in Bochum (and the best Currywurst in Germany). And they love Leicester there so you'd be treated like royalty!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, lfu said:

I'll be in Germany that weekend too (Stuttgart and Kaiserslautern) by coincidence, advice would also be appreciated here

Kaiserslautern is probably my favourite of the grounds I've been to over there. Dominates the town like Newcastle's does. Didn't find many decent places for a beer mind.

Stuttgart's is a bit out of town but accessible by tram or rail. The Mercedes museum next door is worth a visit.

• Like 1

For the Ruhr (the Düsseldorf trip) your match ticket is your travel ticket. You’ve done well to pick Düsseldorf cos the towns you are visiting are quite basic. Altstadf is where you want to head to in Do (nickname for Düsseldorf) - bars etc 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, lfu said:

I'll be in Germany that weekend too (Stuttgart and Kaiserslautern) by coincidence, advice would also be appreciated here

Take it steady on the apple wine at Kaiserslautern, it creeps up on you.

Echo what Voll has said in that the ground there is phenomenal.

Boots60 really if you do have time take a train over to Bochum. Proper footballing place with fantastic local beer Fiege.

Plus if you let on your Leicester you will get a seriously warm welcome.

• Like 2

Has anybody been to Dortmund? I'm going to watch them against Schalke in April. My mate got our tickets in the Sudtribune, no idea how close we'll be to the Ultras. I know it's a huge derby too.

I've been to Hannover v Dusseldorf before, but their fans we a bit more mellow. The street leading to the ground was fantastic, with stalls selling sausages and beer for pittance. Like a cheap Wembley way.

Edited by RonnieTodger

17 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Has anybody been to Dortmund? I'm going to watch them against Schalke in April. My mate got our tickets in the Sudtribune, no idea how close we'll be to the Ultras. I know it's a huge derby too.

I've been to Hannover v Dusseldorf before, but their fans we a bit more mellow. The street leading to the ground was fantastic, with stalls selling sausages and beer for pittance. Like a cheap Wembley way.

There are 3 main Ultras group who stand about 20 yards from the foot of the terrace. I have heard mixed reviews on Dortmund's atmosphere but no doubt it will be rocking for Schalke, you have done very very well to get tickets for this.

• Like 1

Craftbeer corner!!..though given a Koeln,address 10km outside..

Pille sportbar..opposite leverkusen  stadium..

Monkey bar..koeln.on the 8th floor

Something different..pure  " metal" ..Redrum rockbar koeln

Koeln...Leverkusen,Monchengladbach,all close. Late Trams...

I read awhile back,someone didn't like Dortmund,....then they didn't go to Dortmund!!

though for your trip,maybe  too far stay around these 3 close cities...enough to see,eat and Drink!!!

Party heavy,or party light,or just "gemutlich"...it's all there..

Sonntag early..Fruehschoppenbrauhaus tour Koeln...not too sure what weekend or months..

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

I've been to Hannover v Dusseldorf before, but their fans we a bit more mellow. The street leading to the ground was fantastic, with stalls selling sausages and beer for pittance. Like a cheap Wembley way

I am a BVB fan....I am bias....

Dortmund vs Schalke....Derby from all Derbies,in northern Europe

Sudtribune.....the famous "Gelbewand"....... ...breath..it,taste it,enjoy it....This beats even Liverpoo ls kop!!

Police presence high for this one...below stadium,for this game blocked off ,preventing oppo,fans clashing....

If you can get there early,just to enjoy stadium. Also go into the bar on the stadium...

No blue,on this day!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

Yes - the city isn't great but you will find the odd square with bars. There's a few places around the ground which are good fun. 

I can only think your mate as got tickets via a corporate deal or from viagogo. As BVB only sell to public approx two to three weeks before a game and Schalke games sell out at members level. Fair ****s if you've got them but I'm just being cautious because there's plenty been caught out by viagogo. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Would love to do a trip to a Bundesliga match. All the above experiences sound like so much fun. Need to organise it ASAP.

Two groups of Leicester are going over to Germany this month and November for an away game and home game with Bochum. PM'd you.

Edited by baker11
  • Like 1

It’d be great for our fans to have their mentality as well as many other things that the German football culture represents. I’m sure it’s a great weekend. Don’t think I’ve heard anyone say it’s not worthwhile. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

You've done very well to get those! Don't take this the wrong way but the terrace will be rammed early doors so you probably won't get too close to the ultra groups even if you wanted to. Expect a tifo/pyro/both from them too so I hope you don't plan on seeing the teams coming out the tunnel :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

On 30/09/2018 at 12:00, boots60 said:

Flying out for 3 nights to Dusseldorf on 19th October taking in Bayer Leverkusen v Hannover on the Saturday & Monchengladbach v Mainz on Sunday.

Any advice on German travel, bars, match experiences, places to seek out & places to avoid etc gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

Make sure you take a ride on the Dusseldorf airport monorail! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Yes - the city isn't great but you will find the odd square with bars. There's a few places around the ground which are good fun. 

I can only think your mate as got tickets via a corporate deal or from viagogo. As BVB only sell to public approx two to three weeks before a game and Schalke games sell out at members level. Fair ****s if you've got them but I'm just being cautious because there's plenty been caught out by viagogo. 

He got them through a company he used to get El Clasico tickets. I was sceptical at first, but he said it's completely legit. Said his seats, flights and hotel were great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'm strangely planning on going to Leverkusen's game that weekend as well as I'm away on a work trip and we've got the Saturday (up until about 7ish) free so I'll be able to get that game in. Easy to get tickets?

Leverkusen should be dead easy against Hannover 

9 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

He got them through a company he used to get El Clasico tickets. I was sceptical at first, but he said it's completely legit. Said his seats, flights and hotel were great.

Over 10years since I went,or could get regular tickets,for this game...My son and I  had membership,went to many games,but althrough Europe

the big clubs and stadiums,for the big games just became impossible to get tickets at any normal price.Stalwart season ticket holders,with

many years loyalty rightly get priority,but even they have probs for those platinum games,Derbies like this Dortmund-Schalke just as big as

Barc a-Real... 

in a time long gone,I have watched Live...L'pool-Manu,/Everton...Arsenal-spurs..Barca-Real...Real-Athletico, Bayern-Dortmund.

SAMerican club Derbies...etc.   the 1974 built Signal idunas stadium I have seen many games ...but Dortmund-Schalke, !!! Thanks to BvB contacts,

and friends last game was 10 yrs passing. Though now being disabled wouldn't be fun.

I rate this Derby when both teams are either struggling,or chasing title( yes I am bias)...as the best atmosphere anywhere  right through the weekend

and off the Richter scale, over 2 hrs in the stadium. I have stood in the Gelbewande only twice...but anywhere around the ground on this day

Blows any vocabulary explanation into the wind...

Bayern can't compete,even with their tradition and newish Stadium..

Enjoy and soak up,the days atmospere.

• Like 1

Thanks for all replies & advice.Not been to Germany since world cup 2006 & looking forward to seeing 3 new cities & 2 new grounds.

The atmosphere inside the stadiums promises to be something else & nightlife in Dusseldorf looks great.

Better get practising me German.

Echo the comments about Dortmund being disappointing as a city. Ground unimpressive from outside, but better once inside. Tickets will be at a premium though - you either pay the price or you don't go. Personally much more impressed with Leverkusen's ground, and wish we'd have spent longer in Dusseldorf - seemed a great City.

• Like 1