Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UpTheLeagueFox

Premier League Home Form Since February

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Surely the'd be more likely to stay if we could offer them European football though? :dunno:

I doubt it. Kante left the Champions of England to join a team that finished 10th.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Izzy Muzzett said:

Surely the'd be more likely to stay if we could offer them European football though? :dunno:

No. If Liverpool or Man City want them, do you think they would care about playing in that competition?

Kante left after winning the title! 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Babylon said:

No. If Liverpool or Man City want them, do you think they would care about playing in that competition?

Kante left after winning the title! 

Basically, we're fvcked then lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Eh?

This squad isn't that good, that was my point. I doubt anybody's squad outside the top 6 is that good. 

The strength in depth the top 6 have compared to the rest of us is frightening. Kane and Erkisen were brought on yesterday as subs.

But the squad is also quite comfortably the 7th or 8th best in the league.

It was poor of us to get beaten to 7th by a very average Burnley side last season and it'll be poor if we're not pushing Everton all the way for 7th this season.

With Man United having been so poor there's even an argument that with some decent management we could have this squad well in the mix for top 6.

In a couple of years time when the likes of West Ham, Newcastle and Wolves have started to get their act together and top half becomes a real achievement again we'll look back at this season and last as such a wasted opportunity.

• Like 2

Nobody - Puel in or Puel out - are going to say they're buzzed with that home form. Our home form is far from oustanding, but even on that comparison it shows slight improvement since the start of the new season. 

- 7 points from 21 versus the likes of Swansea (R), Stoke (R) and Newcastle with only one game against the 'big six'

- 11 points from 24 versus two of the 'big six'. That's before you write off the Burnley game for the surrounding circumstances and but for the red card vs Everton we could easily have won that game.

It's small steps forward in terms of results and performances, for all Spurs outclassed us last night. We've picked up 46% of points against arguably harder opposition and over an extra fixture, to 33% of points in the run in last season. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

West Ham.

Fabianski or Schmeichel

Zabaleta or Ricardo

Diop or Maguire

Cresswell or Chilwell

Rice or Ndidi

Noble or Maddison

Arnautovic/Hernandez or Vardy

I think the only one who's better than anything we've got is Anderson. Arnautovic is also a quality player but I think a combined XI would have more Leicester players than West Ham.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I doubt it. Kante left the Champions of England to join a team that finished 10th.

If people think it's bad now, I wonder how they'll feel when we potentially lose our best players in the summer?

I wouldn't begrudge the likes of Chillwell, Maguire, Gray? and Maddison moving to one of the 'big' clubs, but we'd surely be worse off than we are now without them.

Not sure if Puel and his master-plan has taken this into consideration...

Just now, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Fabianski or Schmeichel

Zabaleta or Ricardo

Diop or Maguire

Cresswell or Chilwell

Rice or Ndidi

Noble or Maddison

I think the only one who's better than anything we've got is Anderson. Arnautovic is also a quality player but I think a combined XI would have more Leicester players than West Ham.

Any reason why you've only named 7 players?

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

If people think it's bad now, I wonder how they'll feel when we potentially lose our best players in the summer?

I wouldn't begrudge the likes of Chillwell, Maguire, Gray? and Maddison moving to one of the 'big' clubs, but we'd surely be worse off than we are now without them.

We won't sell them all in one go.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

We won't sell them all in one go.

But I thought you said if Liverpool or Man City came in for them that they'd go?

I guess we can't control when the big boys come knocking with their wads of cash.

8 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

It was poor of us to get beaten to 7th by a very average Burnley side last season and it'll be poor if we're not pushing Everton all the way for 7th this season.

With Man United having been so poor there's even an argument that with some decent management we could have this squad well in the mix for top 6.

In a couple of years time when the likes of West Ham, Newcastle and Wolves have started to get their act together and top half becomes a real achievement again we'll look back at this season and last as such a wasted opportunity.

I see what you mean. Tend to agree now you've put it like that although I don't think last season is that fair tbh given how we started the season Puel did well to get us within distance of Burnley.

While I do think it maybe looked back upon as a "missed opportunity" I also can't see us being a strong as we are now (not sure what word to use) in a couple of seasons, especially once we start losing our better players.

5 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Fabianski or Schmeichel

Zabaleta or Ricardo

Diop or Maguire

Cresswell or Chilwell

Rice or Ndidi

Noble or Maddison

Rice is better than Ndidi.

And Noble is a better centre mid than Maddison.

Edited by Fosse93
  • Like 1

Just now, Izzy Muzzett said:

But I thought you said if Liverpool or Man City came in for them that they'd go?

I guess we can't control when the big boys come knocking with their wads of cash.

No I said they would want to go. We hold their registration. The point is finishing 7th won't change that.

2 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Surely Maguire is the only one on that list you've named that would really big ready for a big move? Chilwell is enjoying a fine real breakthrough season and will have interest but would likely be best served staying with ourselves. Ditto Maddison who has real quality but will likely need another few seasons. As for Gray, the odd Spurs link aside, I'm not sure a 'top 6' side would even take a punt on him at this stage in his development. They're all undoubtedly good, young English talent but I'd like to think none of the three will move on in the summer and stick with us.

Perhaps I'm bias lol

Consistency is an issue after a year in charge we still don't seem anywhere near it, what is bizzare that we still in a comfortable situation, but played on the whole shite football it we been honest. I think we have players that are good enough, but don't perform to their best on regular basis. I think most of us are at point that we stuck to know the answer and take the view one day Puel master plan will come off or we accept that a mid table yoyoing is good enough for a club like Leicester. 

1 minute ago, LCCFox96 said:

Surely Maguire is the only one on that list you've named that would really big ready for a big move? Chilwell is enjoying a fine real breakthrough season and will have interest but would likely be best served staying with ourselves. Ditto Maddison who has real quality but will likely need another few seasons. As for Gray, the odd Spurs link aside, I'm not sure a 'top 6' side would even take a punt on him at this stage in his development. They're all undoubtedly good, young English talent but I'd like to think none of the three will move on in the summer and stick with us.

Perhaps I'm bias lol

I dunno mate, ask @Babylon :D

1 minute ago, southfox66 said:

Consistency is an issue after a year in charge we still don't seem anywhere near it, what is bizzare that we still in a comfortable situation, but played on the whole shite football it we been honest. I think we have players that are good enough, but don't perform to their best on regular basis. I think most of us are at point that we stuck to know the answer and take the view one day Puel master plan will come off or we accept that a mid table yoyoing is good enough for a club like Leicester. 

This is why they play for us and not a top club. Top clubs buy top players who are consistent.

36 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Of course we are a club that has made great strides in the last ten years, but I don’t think that should prevent us from aiming to progress further. What happens in this respect is down to what Top wants ultimately I suppose.

I do not believe that Puel is up to much at all and there certainly are better managers than him around the globe that would do better, if nothing else in terms of entertainment 

But ambitions to progress don't mean you automatically will. Look at Spurs - a decade ago they were an Everton equivalent, went through managers regularly, broke into the CL once with a world class winger at their disposal, then spunked a load of money on rubbish like Soldado to try and keep it up (sound familiar?). They've pushed on to the next level now by backing a manager with a clear philosophy over several seasons. Do we have ambitions to push on? Of course but that doesn't happen overnight, it requires a transitional period

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

D Swansea 1-1

D Stoke 1-1

D Bournemouth 1-1

L Newcastle 1-2

D Southampton 0-0

L West Ham 0-2

W Arsenal 3-1

------

W Wolves 2-0

L Liverpool 1-2

W Huddersfield 3-1

L Everton 1-2

D West Ham 1-1

D Burnley 0-0

W Watford 2-0

L Spurs 0-2

again ! The end of last season has nothing to do with this season.

Anyone who is not content with top half of the table for such a young team that is clearly in rebuild mode is quite unreasonable in my opinion.

23 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

I'm not sure I agree with that. You could make arguments for several squads being comparative below the big boys, including ours.

What we do have is a young squad, that's hopefully to our advantage but it's proving a bumpy ride. The obvious problem with a young squad is lack of experience and know how. That is something we'd expect to improve with time though. 

Where we don't stack up with some other squads is in creativity. Love him or loathe him, Zaha at Palace is just one example of a player another squad has that we can't really compare with. A total twat at times but creative and capable of pulling something out of the hat. Anderson at West Ham appears to have found his feet and is starting to do the same. We have Maddison, a rookie really and we're over reliant on Vardy.

We've wasted an awful lot of money though (we're not alone in that), and our next couple of transfer windows will be crucial to long term development.

22 minutes ago, Babylon said:

No I said they would want to go. We hold their registration. The point is finishing 7th won't change that.

Puel seems to reckon we need European football to keep hold of them..

'I think it's a concern of a lot of players': Leicester boss Claude Puel admits club need European football if they are to keep their top stars

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6473993/Leicester-boss-Claude-Puel-admits-club-need-European-football.html

17 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

But ambitions to progress don't mean you automatically will. Look at Spurs - a decade ago they were an Everton equivalent, went through managers regularly, broke into the CL once with a world class winger at their disposal, then spunked a load of money on rubbish like Soldado to try and keep it up (sound familiar?). They've pushed on to the next level now by backing a manager with a clear philosophy over several seasons. Do we have ambitions to push on? Of course but that doesn't happen overnight, it requires a transitional period

A very good point. I'd forgotten Spurs scattergun approach at one point and they had their share of failures and poor transfers.

Levy has always been astute and went in another direction. Poaching Pochettino from Southampton was another great bit of business and it's baring fruit. They've had their disappointments but it was a long term plan. Despite spending zilch in the summer, they are still up there in 3rd. They won't win it this season but they're inching forward each year.