Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
everton carr

BDO Darts world Championship 2019

1 minute ago, everton carr said:

Ted and Wolfie still playing but sadly haven't qualified this year

That is a shame. I think moving to the PDC probably didn’t help Ted’s confidence. 

Its a shame because I’m sure there’s some proper good, honest darts players in the BDO still but the exposure just isn’t there now because of the PDC and it seems anybody who’s any good just gets swallowed up by Barry and his millions. Every time I put this in the standard is really bad but still in quite a charming way. 

52 minutes ago, Manini said:

That is a shame. I think moving to the PDC probably didn’t help Ted’s confidence. 

Its a shame because I’m sure there’s some proper good, honest darts players in the BDO still but the exposure just isn’t there now because of the PDC and it seems anybody who’s any good just gets swallowed up by Barry and his millions. Every time I put this in the standard is really bad but still in quite a charming way. 

In fairness last years Lakeside was probably the best in years. Was a lot of drama from the last 16 onwards.The quarter finals day all ended 5-4.

There's a lot more to it than Tony Fleet.

3 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

In fairness last years Lakeside was probably the best in years. Was a lot of drama from the last 16 onwards.The quarter finals day all ended 5-4.

There's a lot more to it than Tony Fleet.

Yeah fair play, I’m being a bit ignorant to be honest I haven’t watched it properly in ages. I’m going to give it a go this year.

Guest Harrydc

I enjoy it most years, there are some quality hidden gems in there, and some big names that have played in the PDC in recent years. Glen Durrant looks also to be switching to the PDC as he's off to Q school so this could be his last year in this. 

13 hours ago, FilbertFrog said:

Using a football analogy 

it’s like watching “walking football” compared to the “premier league” PDC 

I find to nauseating to watch this muck 

Yawn!! Always one of these every year...."watch this muck" am sure nobody is forcing you to watch it, if it really is garbage then I can only assume you're sticking in 90+ averages down your local then?

• Haha 1

This thread sparked me to have a look at the BDO schedule. Interesting to see Wes Newton and Andy Hamilton, who was only a PDC finalist back in 2012 both in the qualifiers/draw.

Anyone know why they ended up dropping off the tour card? Didn't know if it was personal issues or their standard dropped and everyone else raised their game. Feel it's quite good to have that caliber entering. More than likely won't be watching, though I remember that epic 7-6 Nixon (RIP)-Adams final a decade ago.

15 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

This thread sparked me to have a look at the BDO schedule. Interesting to see Wes Newton and Andy Hamilton, who was only a PDC finalist back in 2012 both in the qualifiers/draw.

Anyone know why they ended up dropping off the tour card? Didn't know if it was personal issues or their standard dropped and everyone else raised their game. Feel it's quite good to have that caliber entering. More than likely won't be watching, though I remember that epic 7-6 Nixon (RIP)-Adams final a decade ago.

Newton's game went to bits after 2014. Had a good go of it in the 5 years before that. Same with Hamilton.

A lot of it is down to the increase in competition too. 96 players in the PDC WC was a lot this year but given the prize money on offer it attracts the majority of players now.

The biggest talking point this year was the BDO removing restrictions on PDC players playing in their events. Players that don't hold a tour card can now play in BDO comps now. No sanctions for players entering Q-School either.

Re-unification a long way away but probably the first BDO decision greeted with positivity in a long time.

30 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

Newton's game went to bits after 2014. Had a good go of it in the 5 years before that. Same with Hamilton.

A lot of it is down to the increase in competition too. 96 players in the PDC WC was a lot this year but given the prize money on offer it attracts the majority of players now.

The biggest talking point this year was the BDO removing restrictions on PDC players playing in their events. Players that don't hold a tour card can now play in BDO comps now. No sanctions for players entering Q-School either.

Re-unification a long way away but probably the first BDO decision greeted with positivity in a long time.

Are there any more "big" (aka people I'd have heard of) people who would qualify for this now under the new ruling? Would be nice to see those who are rank bottom or not with a tour card for various reasons in the PDC give it a go and mix it in the BDO WCs. Surely a good run, even winning it, would not only raise the standard of the BDO tournament but also give them confidence with their game.

As an aside, and I know this is a BDO thread. I was in a Wiki chain and was reminded that Colin Lloyd was World No1 for a while in the mid 2000's in the PDC. Fair to say the last decade has been transformative for both!

2 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Are there any more "big" (aka people I'd have heard of) people who would qualify for this now under the new ruling? Would be nice to see those who are rank bottom or not with a tour card for various reasons in the PDC give it a go and mix it in the BDO WCs. Surely a good run, even winning it, would not only raise the standard of the BDO tournament but also give them confidence with their game.

As an aside, and I know this is a BDO thread. I was in a Wiki chain and was reminded that Colin Lloyd was World No1 for a while in the mid 2000's in the PDC. Fair to say the last decade has been transformative for both!

The restrictions were lifted in August so hard to say. Hamilton and Newton went back early 2018. It's more to give choice to those who moved but didn't get a tour card like Hughes and Fitton.

The BDO semi finalists were contracted to go back the following year so it players would be 'surprisingly' beat in the first round and move to the PDC. If players have choice after it could raise the BDO's standing definitely.

The worst thing about losing to Suzuki is that we'll have to suffer her Baby Shark walk-on music again. 'Kin awful!

The standard is laughable as usual. Regular miscounts, sub-90 averages, people you've never heard of, and amusing announcers (though I've not heard Mr Wom Hummrerrrd yet"). 

At least they've sorted the sound out for the dartboard. Each dart used to sound like a cow falling over in an empty dance hall. 

Oh and, how the hell has Wolfie not qualified? He's easily one of the best BDO players. Has age finally caught up with him like it did with Silverback? 

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Rod Harrington showing Emma Jones how to improve your throw:

I don't know about my throw but it definitely improved my arm... 

It improved my arm the other night, I just had to go there.

1 hour ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Newton showing once your self belief goes in Darts its a big big struggle to get it back.

Great to finally watch a tournement that uses a proper dartboard aswell as normal size trebles......

The trebles and doubles do look bigger on the Unicorn boards compared to the Winmau ones. Could be an optical illusion though.