Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban fox

first city game

February 2002 v Derby at Filbert St

Was new to the area and really glad I got to see that ground, was behind the goal near the away fans, great atmosphere in there, nice edge to it.

Leicester lost 0-3 and when Lee Morris stuck the third goal in I remember the stand singing -  disgrace, you are a ****ing disgrace, you are a ****ing disgrace, you are a ****ing disgrace, DISGRACE .... and so on, at the Leicester players.

Matt Piper played that day and he looked a player, what might have been.

A defender called Laursen played too, and I have seen oil rigs turn quicker than that guy, quite possibly the fattest arse in the history of pro ball.   

I was hooked, been coming to watch since when I can, love the new ground, but that corner of Filbert St really had something, 

On 07/02/2019 at 13:49, Crazy Kop Corner said:

Leicester 1 Stoke 1 - 7th April 1979 - They were going for promotion and it was toward the end of Jock's first season and we were too close to the bottom of the league for comfort.

Mark Wallington had a blinder and Dave Buchanan scored for us in front of me in the North Stand.

I was 8 years old and found the whole experience totally engulfing from the greenness of the pitch, the beautiful royal blue shirts, the combined smell of beer, cigarettes & pies, the noise of the crowd - Absolutely hooked and have been for close to 40 years now.

How i remember this one. Lots of trouble if I remember rightly. Took a mate at the time for his first game and stood in the cop he got hit by a coin above the eye, receiving a nasty cut. Then being frogmarched around the city by the police. Great memories but not the best times for watching football.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wokinghamfox said:

How i remember this one. Lots of trouble if I remember rightly. Took a mate at the time for his first game and stood in the cop he got hit by a coin above the eye, receiving a nasty cut. Then being frogmarched around the city by the police. Great memories but not the best times for watching football.

It clearly didn't put me off as my next game was vs Crystal Palace on the following Tuesday or Wednesday night as I remember it - That was 1 -1 too.

I was totally hooked and the following seasons 2nd division title winning season is probably in my all time 3 favourites 

8 hours ago, Conscript Fox said:

February 2002 v Derby at Filbert St

Was new to the area and really glad I got to see that ground, was behind the goal near the away fans, great atmosphere in there, nice edge to it.

Leicester lost 0-3 and when Lee Morris stuck the third goal in I remember the stand singing -  disgrace, you are a ****ing disgrace, you are a ****ing disgrace, you are a ****ing disgrace, DISGRACE .... and so on, at the Leicester players.

Matt Piper played that day and he looked a player, what might have been.

A defender called Laursen played too, and I have seen oil rigs turn quicker than that guy, quite possibly the fattest arse in the history of pro ball.   

I was hooked, been coming to watch since when I can, love the new ground, but that corner of Filbert St really had something, 

Christ, what a way to start. That’s the only game I’ve ever left early from. Up there with the lowest ever moments following Leicester for me. 

My parents couldn’t afford to take me to ‘proper’ games for a while so technically the first game I saw was an away pre-season game against Scarborough in 1991. Only thing I can remember is a  Scarborough fan having a go at Steve Agnew for being bald, but was bald himself so Agnew gave it right back.

First proper game was against Portsmouth circa 94. A midweek match which we were 3-0 down at half time in and not even a half time floodlight failure could save.

On 07/02/2019 at 17:39, Col city fan said:

One of the first games I can remember was against Liverpool when Andy Peake scores that ridiculous pile driver! Martyn Henderson scored that day too if my ailing memory is correct.

Just for you!!!

1 hour ago, when_you're_smiling said:

First proper game was against Portsmouth circa 94. A midweek match which we were 3-0 down at half time in and not even a half time floodlight failure could save.

That was the first game I ever paid for out of my own pocket. Previous to that, it had been going with my dad, but as a teenager, that was me paying my way and going with my brother. I was so exited as we had just broken our transfer record for Mark Blake (£360,000!) from Portsmouth.

It cost me £16 which was a lot of money back then (still is!) and I sat there watching how awful it was and thinking what I could have spent £16 on.

Amazing I went back after that, but I think I'm still scarred 25 years on...

1 hour ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Christ, what a way to start. That’s the only game I’ve ever left early from. Up there with the lowest ever moments following Leicester for me. 

My parents couldn’t afford to take me to ‘proper’ games for a while so technically the first game I saw was an away pre-season game against Scarborough in 1991. Only thing I can remember is a  Scarborough fan having a go at Steve Agnew for being bald, but was bald himself so Agnew gave it right back.

Agnew didn't sign til 93!

That Portsmouth match was horrendous only lifted by the huge excitement at Steve Walsh's return, as a sub, after 6 months out injured.

6 hours ago, pds said:

Agnew didn't sign til 93!

That Portsmouth match was horrendous only lifted by the huge excitement at Steve Walsh's return, as a sub, after 6 months out injured.

Ah! Maybe getting my memories mixed up as (I think) Agnew also missed a pen in that Portsmouth game in front of the Kop.

The bald one might have been Kevin Russell thinking about it.