Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban fox

first city game

2 hours ago, urban fox said:

wow that's the earliest one so far.

I had supported them long before that but my Dad wasn't interested so I never went as a young boy.

We were living in Birstall so a bunch of my schoolmates from Humphrey Perkins went as a group, I was 13.

I know it was a Wednesday night game and I'm certain it was Brum but what is putting some doubt in my head is that the records say that the attendance was only15k+. We were in the Kop and it was heaving. I remember vividly being crushed and that my feet didn't touch the ground as the crowd surged. 

Edited by Smudge

Yes I can remember mine. It was a night match at Filbert Street in 1992, against Bristol Rovers, we drew 2-2. 

I was around 7 years old, it was a new experience walking amongst such crowds of people not wanting to let go of my Dad's hand (we walked past the away turnstiles which I found a bit unnerving sometimes, drunk fans before the game etc. and past those huge horses, I remember the roads being littered with horse shit and having to walk around it on the way to the turnstile. 

I sat in the South stand upper tier, directly above the 'L' of Leicester City on the boards below. It was an amazing experience and a bit overwhelming, seeing such a huge amount of people come together as one to get behind the same thing. I was hooked immediately. 

It was also the night I realised I was quite short sighted, my Dad was yelling at the players, as he still does to this day (I join in with him now lol) and he shouted Oldfield's name, I asked how he knew which players were which and he said he could read off the players numbers on their shirts (obviously he could tell without it, he was just helping me, not realising I couldn't see much more than a blur!) and I sat their not thinking anymore of it.

Had an eyetest shortly after and have worn glasses pretty much ever since! So that was my first match. I miss the atmosphere of Filbert Street, the way sometimes a ball got hoofed over the East stand and we had to wait for 10 seconds for someone to dish another ball onto the pitch, and SCORE FLASH ! Amazing. But the atmosphere mostly. I never stood in the KOP but it was great to just watch the atmosphere in it.

1 hour ago, smr said:

Yes I can remember mine. It was a night match at Filbert Street in 1992, against Bristol Rovers, we drew 2-2. 

I was around 7 years old, it was a new experience walking amongst such crowds of people not wanting to let go of my Dad's hand (we walked past the away turnstiles which I found a bit unnerving sometimes, drunk fans before the game etc. and past those huge horses, I remember the roads being littered with horse shit and having to walk around it on the way to the turnstile. 

I sat in the South stand upper tier, directly above the 'L' of Leicester City on the boards below. It was an amazing experience and a bit overwhelming, seeing such a huge amount of people come together as one to get behind the same thing. I was hooked immediately. 

It was also the night I realised I was quite short sighted, my Dad was yelling at the players, as he still does to this day (I join in with him now lol) and he shouted Oldfield's name, I asked how he knew which players were which and he said he could read off the players numbers on their shirts (obviously he could tell without it, he was just helping me, not realising I couldn't see much more than a blur!) and I sat their not thinking anymore of it.

Had an eyetest shortly after and have worn glasses pretty much ever since! So that was my first match. I miss the atmosphere of Filbert Street, the way sometimes a ball got hoofed over the East stand and we had to wait for 10 seconds for someone to dish another ball onto the pitch, and SCORE FLASH ! Amazing. But the atmosphere mostly. I never stood in the KOP but it was great to just watch the atmosphere in it.

Sure it wasn't Portsmouth? We never drew 2-2 at home to Bristol Rovers.

7 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Although I had been a supporter for year before that, my first live home match as a spectator was the 3-1 win against Pompey in the 2003-2004 season, with Paul "Mighty Mouse" Dickov scoring twice.

The start of a wonderful friendship.

First time I’ve ever heard him called “mighty mouse” lol 

• Haha 1

First game I remember was a 4-3 thriller v Man Utd in 63 I think. Ken  Keyworth & Denis Law both got hat-tricks, but it's the crowd that made the biggest impression.

The noise and the movement. The spilling down the terrace (I was in the Kop with my uncle & his mates). The seismic roar and chaos when we scored. Tribal and thrilling - I was hooked for life.

An early lesson in disappointment soon followed as we lost to them in the Cup Final.

But man, what a journey it's been. And man, I miss Filbert Street...

1988 - Boxing Day at Filbo:

0-1 loss to Bournemouth 

I learnt more insults that day than any other day in my life... Most of them from the old boy screaming at a young 20-year-old Paul Reid or our manager David Pleat!

It's such a good thing that in these enlightened times we get behind our youngsters and the manager and negative fans are well and truly a thing of the past... :wes:

Edited by zealot

15 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

And man, I miss Filbert Street...

I know what you mean.  Obviously never going to be fit for purpose in these current times and the inability to expand due to the houses it backed onto forced the hand really.  But like so many of the old grounds where you were packed in tight close to the pitch the atmosphere could be electric.  I remember a game against arsenal in the early seventies me and my dad were in the filbert street end right behind the goal. There were people sitting on the roof of the east stand and climbing up the floodlights that day.  I think there was something like 42000 shoe-horned in. Considering the game was supposedly all ticket (I think it was an fa cup tie but not 100% on that) not sure how that happened.  I do remember that my dad had got our tickets but then been given one by a guy at work.  My usual friend couldn't make it so my dad sold the spare outside the ground to a disabled arsenal lad who had travelled with his mates (who had tickets). When he produced a wad of cash and my dad said he only wanted the face value the young man was so overwhelmed he almost burst into tears and he insisted on buying us a cuppa once inside the ground. My dad was just happy that the ticket got put to good use by a genuine football fan regardless of their colours (segregation was nothing like it was to become in those days and fans generally mingled, especially in the family end as it was to become).

That atmosphere has never been repeated at the KP, although it did come close I am told at the presentation day (unfortunately I was not there but was watching live on TV)

• Like 1

On 06/02/2019 at 21:21, cambridgefox said:

cant remember much about the match apart from losing,but it was chaos.

Those streakers will stick in my mind forever

Yeah, sorry about that. It seemed an amusing idea at the time. 

1959..Leicester vs. West Ham...1-1 ,..then 2 seasons later

1961 .Leicester  vs. West.ham...5-1.....Cheesborough hat trick!!!

Then a season later to see Bobby Moore...

City won 2-0 ..Mclintock,Stringfellow.... Bobby Moore patted me on my head,and Ian King lifted me on the Wall,after a steward told my dad,

To get me down...?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, urban fox said:

I know what you mean.  Obviously never going to be fit for purpose in these current times and the inability to expand due to the houses it backed onto forced the hand really.  But like so many of the old grounds where you were packed in tight close to the pitch the atmosphere could be electric.  I remember a game against arsenal in the early seventies me and my dad were in the filbert street end right behind the goal. There were people sitting on the roof of the east stand and climbing up the floodlights that day.  I think there was something like 42000 shoe-horned in. Considering the game was supposedly all ticket (I think it was an fa cup tie but not 100% on that) not sure how that happened.  I do remember that my dad had got our tickets but then been given one by a guy at work.  My usual friend couldn't make it so my dad sold the spare outside the ground to a disabled arsenal lad who had travelled with his mates (who had tickets). When he produced a wad of cash and my dad said he only wanted the face value the young man was so overwhelmed he almost burst into tears and he insisted on buying us a cuppa once inside the ground. My dad was just happy that the ticket got put to good use by a genuine football fan regardless of their colours (segregation was nothing like it was to become in those days and fans generally mingled, especially in the family end as it was to become).

That atmosphere has never been repeated at the KP, although it did come close I am told at the presentation day (unfortunately I was not there but was watching live on TV)

Agreed - The KP's great as far as grounds go in these all-seated slightly sanitised days. But a full-house at Filbert St, especially for a night match, was  an entirely different thing.

The biggest crowd I remember was for a Cup replay against Man City in 68. Officially about 40,000, but a load of Man City fans smashed down a gate at the Filbert St end, and a few thousand more got in.  The cops let us kids sit on the cinder-track round the pitch, which we did about 3 deep. I was near the corner flag at the Pop/Kop end & had to shift so Summerbee could take a corner.

We went 2-0 down, and then Frank Large did his stuff and we got four. They got a late one & it ended 4-3.

From the equaliser on we all ran on the pitch after every goal. Remember celebrating in the centre-circle after the fourth & seeing hundreds of people jumping up and down on the roof of the Pop side & the Filbert St end. Talking about it with my mates at school the next day, all of us croaking because we'd shouted ourselves totally hoarse!

Beats the clappers, let's face it.

• Haha 1

Peering through the fence at Filbert Street for a while I saw Leicester 4 West Ham 1 in March 1984 : old first division. I think Lineker and Lynex were amongst the scorers from vague memory as a 15 year old! The first proper paid for match at Filbert was Leicester 1 Ipswich 1 September 1987 ; Steve Moran for us, I think Jason Dozzell equalised for them!

3 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Agreed - The KP's great as far as grounds go in these all-seated slightly sanitised days. But a full-house at Filbert St, especially for a night match, was  an entirely different thing.

The biggest crowd I remember was for a Cup replay against Man City in 68. Officially about 40,000, but a load of Man City fans smashed down a gate at the Filbert St end, and a few thousand more got in.  The cops let us kids sit on the cinder-track round the pitch, which we did about 3 deep. I was near the corner flag at the Pop/Kop end & had to shift so Summerbee could take a corner.

We went 2-0 down, and then Frank Large did his stuff and we got four. They got a late one & it ended 4-3.

From the equaliser on we all ran on the pitch after every goal. Remember celebrating in the centre-circle after the fourth & seeing hundreds of people jumping up and down on the roof of the Pop side & the Filbert St end. Talking about it with my mates at school the next day, all of us croaking because we'd shouted ourselves totally hoarse!

Beats the clappers, let's face it.

my friend and I,(12-13yrs old)...

We were asked by a Dad to look after his 2.. 8 + 9olds..We were on the popular-side,sitting on our coats,on the perimiter..(fk..health &safety!! :chant:

The dad was a steward,so we got in his good books....Over a few years he got us,into the double decker...Until my middle-teens,where Saturday

and weekend became,lost to my own Sport activities...

Different times..!!

4 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

1959..Leicester vs. West Ham...1-1 ,..then 2 seasons later

1961 .Leicester  vs. West.ham...5-1.....Cheesborough hat trick!!!

Then a season later to see Bobby Moore...

City won 2-0 ..Mclintock,Stringfellow.... Bobby Moore patted me on my head,and Ian King lifted me on the Wall,after a steward told my dad,

To get me down...?

I wonder if we could set up the same way....??

Starting lineup:

GoalkeeperGordon Banks...................................Kasper
Right backLen Chalmers......................................Ricardo
Defender/MidfielderFrank McLintock...................Soyuncu
Left backRichie Norman........................................Chillwell
Centre halfIan King..............,.................................Maguire
MidfielderTerry Heath.............................................Ndidi
Wing halfColin Appleton,.........................................Tielemans
Outside LeftMike Stringfellow............................  ....Gray/Albrighton
Centre Forward/Wing halfKen Keyworth.................Vardy
Inside forwardAlbert Cheesebrough........................Maddison
Inside forwardDave Gibson,.....................................Barnes

6 hours ago, Stoopid said:

First game I remember was a 4-3 thriller v Man Utd in 63 I think. Ken  Keyworth & Denis Law both got hat-tricks, but it's the crowd that made the biggest impression.

The noise and the movement. The spilling down the terrace (I was in the Kop with my uncle & his mates). The seismic roar and chaos when we scored. Tribal and thrilling - I was hooked for life.

An early lesson in disappointment soon followed as we lost to them in the Cup Final.

But man, what a journey it's been. And man, I miss Filbert Street...

That's right...with the hattricks....& Terry Heath, got the other one..

Like you insuate....We were confident...for the final.....> I reckon we all would of sold out souls to have the results reversed...<

56 years later,it still hurts.....Tho'   Dennis Law became my favourite opposition player,for many a year..

51 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

That's right...with the hattricks....& Terry Heath, got the other one..

Like you insuate....We were confident...for the final.....> I reckon we all would of sold out souls to have the results reversed...<

56 years later,it still hurts.....Tho'   Dennis Law became my favourite opposition player,for many a year..

Yeah - remember roaring in the back yard after the Final. Unconsolable. Convinced we were gonna win it...

Agree about Law. Scored a cracking overhead in the 4-3 as I recall. Though Jimmy Greaves has to be the best goal-scorer I've seen. Remember him destroying us at White Hart Lane a year or two after - one of the first away games I ever went to. Made Harry Kane look like Roger Davies!

22/4/67 v Sheffield Utd although supported Leicester since 1961. The local boys side in Bicester that I played for as a kid had their end of season trip for this game. Got shown round Filbert Street and sat in the old Double Decker. My parents couldn't really afford for me to go but I sneaked onto the coach with the help of some mates. Sill got some pictures taken with my old Kodak Brownie!