Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban fox

first city game

Not a cryptic means to get people to give their age away just a trip down memory lane.  Can you remember your first city game and how you came to be there?

As a youngster I was like most of my school mates, football and in particular LCFC mad.  My grandparents had bought me an autograph book (remember those?) for my birthday and got their next door neighbour, a promising young reserve team player just on the verge of breaking through into the first team by the name of Bobby Mackay, to take in and get a few of the players to sign it for me. (they lived in a council house on Coleman road - how times have changed!!).

From that moment on I pestered by poor old dad something chronic to take me to a game to see those name in my book in the flesh.  Eventually, just before Christmas 1968 he relented and we were ensconced in the east stand to watch city beat Man utd (Charlton, Best, Law, stiles et al) 2-1.  As I recall it Rodney "Marty Feldman on the wing" Fern and Nish from the penalty spot got our goals that day I think Law got theirs.

That day will always be etched in my mind and I have followed the foxes ever since.   And yes I do still have that autograph book somewhere and later on added the likes of Weller, Farrington et al to those first few pages with Shilton, Nish Lockhead Fern Glover and all the others alongside Bobby Mackay.

• Like 1

Leicester 1-1 Port Vale in '96. Taylor scored for Leicester and McCarthy for Vale. Vale had a pretty good team back then with Guppy on the left. What I remember is the p.a. guy telling fans to keep their ticket stubs to help them get tickets for a potential playoff final in May, which everyone laughed to at the time. 

• Like 1

1990 first game of the season, a fresh faced youngster inspired by the joy of Italia 90 that summer.

Bristol Rovers were the visitors to Filbert Street that day.

My old man took me into the Kop and the noise was unreal, we won 3-2 that day and ive been hooked ever since.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Not a cryptic means to get people to give their age away just a trip down memory lane.  Can you remember your first city game and how you came to be there?

As a youngster I was like most of my school mates, football and in particular LCFC mad.  My grandparents had bought me an autograph book (remember those?) for my birthday and got their next door neighbour, a promising young reserve team player just on the verge of breaking through into the first team by the name of Bobby Mackay, to take in and get a few of the players to sign it for me. (they lived in a council house on Coleman road - how times have changed!!).

From that moment on I pestered by poor old dad something chronic to take me to a game to see those name in my book in the flesh.  Eventually, just before Christmas 1968 he relented and we were ensconced in the east stand to watch city beat Man utd (Charlton, Best, Law, stiles et al) 2-1.  As I recall it Rodney "Marty Feldman on the wing" Fern and Nish from the penalty spot got our goals that day I think Law got theirs.

That day will always be etched in my mind and I have followed the foxes ever since.   And yes I do still have that autograph book somewhere and later on added the likes of Weller, Farrington et al to those first few pages with Shilton, Nish Lockhead Fern Glover and all the others alongside Bobby Mackay.

Great story and i was born on 7/12/68 that afternoon......obviously my old man missed me coming into the world!

Leicester 0-0 Wolves 1989. Upper tier of the old members stand.

Still remember us hitting the side netting and thinking we had scored.

Edited by MattP

1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday Boxing Day 1997 I think it was. Can’t remember who scored for us, but I remember Dejan Stefanovic equalising for them in the 87th minute. Top tier of the double decker at Filbert Street, though I used to like the east stand/cow shed over the years when I got taken once in a blue moon

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Leicester 0-0 Wolves 1989. Upper tier of the old members stand.

Still remember us hitting the side netting and thinking we had scored.

I know you will remember this one.

cant remember my first home,but my first away was at Peterborough 1992?

cant remember much about the match apart from losing,but it was chaos.

Those streakers will stick in my mind forever,I was at the walled side and we had 8k there.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, urban fox said:

I was at that match too with 3 friends.. Thick, muddy pitch and drizzly, murky day.. 

2-1.. I thought Best scored but I maybe wrong. 

Wonderful memories.