Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban fox

first city game

8 hours ago, Sunny Rhyl Fox said:

Wolves 0 Leicester 1 Jim Melrose in front of the away support 1981 can still remember everything about that day

Was it a scissor kick from Jim Melrose? I thought it was down the far end away from the massive kop end?

Mind must be playing tricks with me but yes that was a great away day and loved sticking it to the Wolves fans (although possibly not much from me as I was only 9!) who were a weird bunch back then as well

8 hours ago, 09bballer said:

26th Feb 1983. Leicester 5 Wolves 0. Went on some free tickets from the school. Lineker and Lynex scored.

Also remember a screamer from Alan Smith.

Steve Lynex was awesome that day - What a player he was - Possibly one of the most under rated Leicester City players of all time in my view - Also seemed like a great lad as well - Loved the guy. Stevie .... Stevie Lynex on the Wing

Leicester City v Tottenham Hotspur, 23 March 1963

Score 2-2
Competition League Division One
Venue Filbert Street
Attendance 41,622

View Leicester City v Tottenham Hotspur head to head

Goals:

Ken Keyworth     G
Mike Stringfellow     G

Goals:

Jimmy Greaves     G
Bobby Smith     G

Starting lineup:

Goalkeeper Gordon Banks
DefenderJohn Sjoberg
Central defenderGraham Cross
Defender/MidfielderFrank McLintock
Left backRichie Norman
Centre halfIan King
Wing halfColin Appleton
Outside LeftMike Stringfellow
Outside rightHoward Riley
Centre Forward/Wing halfKen Keyworth
Inside forwardDave Gibson

Starting lineup:

GoalkeeperBill Brown
DefenderMel Hopkins
DefenderMaurice Norman
Defender/MidfielderDave Mackay
Left backRon Henry
Wing halfTony Marchi
ForwardJimmy Greaves
ForwardFrank Saul
ForwardBobby Smith
WingerCliff Jones
Inside forwardJohn White

Born and grew up near Mansfield and had followed Leicester from afar through newspapers and two FA cup finals on TV. (Dad was from Thurmaston and had been sent to Notts as a Bevin Boy during the war so it was natural to follow LCFC rather than Forest like most others in my class at school.) Mike Stringfellow had come from same mining town as me - and I had his hymn book one year at Grammar school.You had to list your name on the inside cover and kept the book for the year.

Dad parked the Ford Pop on Filbert Street and we headed for the nearest turnstiles and I seem to remember queuing for about an hour and a half or more before they opened and ending up standing at Filbert Street end with all the Spurs supporters! Nice one dad! You could do that in those days of course. Stood more or less behind the goal and couldn't believe my hero Gordon Banks was just yards away. Remember Jimmy Greaves scoring just in front of us, and the look of delight on his face. 

What an array of talent for my first experience of Filbo. Happy memories!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Oxford at home. Last game of the 90/91 season when we stopped up. Wasn’t that old. Made me think that after every game fans ran on the pitch. 

After that, the last home games of the season around that time always seemed have something going on. I'm sure Sheff Utd stayed up one year and Newcastle went crazy and smashed the stands up

Although not my first City game, in1959 my Dad did take me to F*rest v Blackpool, so that I'd be able to tell my grandkids I'd seen Stanley Matthews play.

Apparently I was more interested in the the trains you could see passing the ground. And spat out the halftime drink he'd queued to get.

Leicester 1-2 West Ham in October 1979, the only game my dad ever took me to, I came up the stairway into the old main stand and the noise,and atmosphere took my breath away, we lost but it never put me off, afterwards I used to stand in the members area progressing to the Kop as I got older, only sat in the Decker once, didn’t like it at all up there, great memories of Filbert St, friends long since gone, football was a different experience altogether back then. ?

22 minutes ago, kingston_fox said:

After that, the last home games of the season around that time always seemed have something going on. I'm sure Sheff Utd stayed up one year and Newcastle went crazy and smashed the stands up

That was a mental day with riot police and horses on the pitch. It was more like a war zone than a football match.

18 minutes ago, Mayofox said:

Although not my first City game, in1959 my Dad did take me to F*rest v Blackpool, so that I'd be able to tell my grandkids I'd seen Stanley Matthews play.

Apparently I was more interested in the the trains you could see passing the ground. And spat out the halftime drink he'd queued to get.

Detailed my first City game a few minutes ago, but first game anywhere was like yours also at City Ground:

Forest v Sheffield Wednesday, 02 March 1963. Wednesday won 3-0 I'm pleased to say. 

Went with my Wednesday supporting friend. I think the infamous Peter Swan and Bronco Layne played. (Later convicted in betting and match fixing scandal and sent to prison.)

Need a bit of help with my first match remembering opposition, I was 6 at the time and vividly remember Gary Parker hitting the cross bar from a corner kick. At Filbert street in the equivalent of todays  championship. Southend springs to mind but can't be certain. If anyone has any knowledge of the game  

As a kid I used to watch Luton Town. Moved to Leicester and was excited to have the chance to watch first division football. Chelsea, at home, December 1968. Really surprised that Chelsea fans dominated the centre of the Spion Kop and that we lost the game (1-4, despite Mike Stringfellow scoring after five minutes). In 18 months I had never seen Luton lose a home match and away fans in The Oak Road End? Unthinkable!

Anyway, must have seen something Special as I have been going ever since - although sitting on that spiked wall between the main stand and the terraces was not comfortable!  ( neither was seeing us ripped apart by Peter Osgood and Co.) Relegated that year and losing a cup final at wembley we started the following season with a 3-1 home win against Birmingham (Rodney Fern Bicycle kick) and I never missed a match (home or away) for about 10 years.

1965/1966 Newcastle United at home - 1-2 defeat. I think Tom Sweeney was the City scorer. The team included Gordon Banks, David Gibson, Jackie Sinclair & Derek  Dougan. My dad’s mate gave me and my brother his season tickets for the game in the Centre Stand and I recall vividly the smoke from cigars etc - I’m sure everybody smoked back then

First Leicester game: Summer of 2000 I believe - Portadown 0-1 Leicester (friendly). Took a late winner from us.

First competitive Leicester game: May 2010- Leicester 2 - 0 Boro. Kermo's first goal. A few games later, 'that' penalty...

Unfortunately I don't remember the first game in any detail. I moved to Leicester(shire) in May 1998, aged 8. So my first game would have been in the 98/99 season. I remember going to quite a lot of games but I couldn't say which was the first one.

My first memory was drawing 2-2 to Liverpool (99/00 season) and Owen scored twice. The Red Star Belgrade game always stays in my mind too, pre-match flares causing a delay (2000).

I struggle with memories of games at that early age.

3 minutes ago, Nalis said:

First Leicester game: Summer of 2000 I believe - Portadown 0-1 Leicester (friendly). Took a late winner from us.

First competitive Leicester game: May 2010- Leicester 2 - 0 Boro. Kermo's first goal. A few games later, 'that' penalty...

......Kermo's first goal - what an absolute CRACKER! 

12 hours ago, Izzy said:

Remember it well. Block J Main stand at Filbo with my Dad.

November 1982 v Newcastle.

A 2-2 draw, Keegan scored both of there's and Lineker with one of ours.

31 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

In the Kop early 80's Leicester v Newcastle (i think) draw 2-2. 

Yeah, I could hear you screaming lol

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, urban fox said:

Not a cryptic means to get people to give their age away just a trip down memory lane.  Can you remember your first city game and how you came to be there?

As a youngster I was like most of my school mates, football and in particular LCFC mad.  My grandparents had bought me an autograph book (remember those?) for my birthday and got their next door neighbour, a promising young reserve team player just on the verge of breaking through into the first team by the name of Bobby Mackay, to take in and get a few of the players to sign it for me. (they lived in a council house on Coleman road - how times have changed!!).

From that moment on I pestered by poor old dad something chronic to take me to a game to see those name in my book in the flesh.  Eventually, just before Christmas 1968 he relented and we were ensconced in the east stand to watch city beat Man utd (Charlton, Best, Law, stiles et al) 2-1.  As I recall it Rodney "Marty Feldman on the wing" Fern and Nish from the penalty spot got our goals that day I think Law got theirs.

That day will always be etched in my mind and I have followed the foxes ever since.   And yes I do still have that autograph book somewhere and later on added the likes of Weller, Farrington et al to those first few pages with Shilton, Nish Lockhead Fern Glover and all the others alongside Bobby Mackay.

Same first match!

Soon after I got a Saturday job as 'Corona' pop delivery boy, but driver was having it away with somebodies misses on the round so he used to drop me at the ground, pay for me to get in,  and pick me up afterwards, provided I kept stum. Perfect!