Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban fox

first city game

1-2 home defeat to Newcastle........ last season (17/18).

Was a student when I was living in Leicester and was too cheap to shell out for a ticket.

After graduating, working with the means to go, but living a number of hours away so didn’t bother.

For some reason the evening before this game, I randomly felt the need to go and make this my first ever game.

Last minute match ticket bought off FT, stadium tour, trains and hotel booked at 9 pm the night before.

It was Khun Vichai’s 60th birthday. I still have the foil wrapper from the birthday chocolate coin. :(

1 hour ago, FoxFossil said:

Same first match!

Soon after I got a Saturday job as 'Corona' pop delivery boy, but driver was having it away with somebodies misses on the round so he used to drop me at the ground, pay for me to get in,  and pick me up afterwards, provided I kept stum. Perfect!

what a coincidence. Sounds like you had a pretty good arrangement going on there for a while!

3 hours ago, kingston_fox said:

After that, the last home games of the season around that time always seemed have something going on. I'm sure Sheff Utd stayed up one year and Newcastle went crazy and smashed the stands up

The Newcastle game I remember didn’t they stop up after walsh scored an own goal and we missed out going up automatically

Cambridge at home, 1992 I think, won 2-1 I remember Tommy Wright scoring and Dion Dublin was upfront for Cambridge.

i went with my uncle, all his mates were in pen 2 but the que was too long so we went in pen 3 and climber over in to pen 2, I was 10 or 11 I just remember being chucked over because I couldn’t climb for #*@!

I went to at least 1 game while we were in league 1, but for some reason the first one I remember is a 0-0 draw against Newcastle in 2010. The ref was terrible that game, so it was a good indicator of things to come. Needless to say I started having a season ticket from the next season onwards. lol

6 May 1985 - Leicester 2, Sunderland 0.

Gary Lineker's last home game.

My Dad said he would be going onto bigger and better things, so I should be able to tell people I'd seen him play for Leicester!

5 hours ago, kingston_fox said:

After that, the last home games of the season around that time always seemed have something going on. I'm sure Sheff Utd stayed up one year and Newcastle went crazy and smashed the stands up

2nd game was 3 May 1986 - last game of the season v's Newcastle. We were in the East stand & the Newcastle fans started ripping up seats & throwing them into our section, so we ended up standing at the back of the next section along to finish the game. My mum wouldn't let us go again for years after that - until the Pleat glory years came along!

I've always accepted that I missed out on those early years by thinking that was just what football was about at the time... It's a bit upsetting to hear that it was actually a bit of a one-off that is being talked about over 30 years later!

Leicester 1 Stoke 1 - 7th April 1979 - They were going for promotion and it was toward the end of Jock's first season and we were too close to the bottom of the league for comfort.

Mark Wallington had a blinder and Dave Buchanan scored for us in front of me in the North Stand.

I was 8 years old and found the whole experience totally engulfing from the greenness of the pitch, the beautiful royal blue shirts, the combined smell of beer, cigarettes & pies, the noise of the crowd - Absolutely hooked and have been for close to 40 years now.

15 hours ago, oxtonfox said:

my first game remarkably was a 5-0 home win v Ipswich in 1974 and it was played on a Saturday evening at 7:30; that was a first too. Frankie  Wortho got a hat trick I think with a couple of penalties and Joe Waters (him of the FA Cup QF win at QPR that year) also played. I suspect the Birch played too. Great days! 

Incredibly this was my first too. Got home and told my Dad and he didn't believe me!

• Like 1

1997 - home V Wimbledon. 0-1 defeat, I can remember Marcus Gayle scoring for them. Can’t honestly say I remember much about the game, just I was awestruck climbing the staircase for the first time and seeing the floodlights and the Leicester city backdrop. Stunning, ****ing loved it, came home with a shirt, program, scarf the lot. 

• Like 1

1965-66, 0-0 v Northampton Town, in their only season in the top flight. I think my Dad chose that game as we were 'guaranteed' to win, the Cobblers being rock bottom and everyone's whipping boys.

Banks certainly played and I have a feeling the Doog did too, but I could be wrong.

The result that day set the pattern for a lifetime supporting the club. We left Leicester for the West Midlands in 1966 and from then on I'd get to about 3 games a season until I started going regularly under my own steam in 1981. It was three or four years before I saw us win a home game! Even now (well, especially now under Puel) I turn up for 'should win' home games expecting to be disappointed.

15 minutes ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

I wonder who holds the record on this forum for the first game attended? That would be interesting...

I remember seeing Leicester Fosse versus Syston Fosse back in 1884. Cracking match that was played on a private field just off Fosse Road South. Been hooked ever since...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

I've always accepted that I missed out on those early years by thinking that was just what football was about at the time... It's a bit upsetting to hear that it was actually a bit of a one-off that is being talked about over 30 years later!

Should have been around in the seventies!!

I remember well as a young lad me and my dad running the gauntlet across Nelson Mandela park (it was Welford road reccie back then) to avoid the pitched battles, especially when the likes of Millwall or West Ham came visiting.  It seemed to me back then that every team had its hard core of yobs who came to matches not to watch the footy but to cause as much disruption and start as many fights as they could.  These were the days of the skinheads and "bovver boots" brigades, pitch invasions and rampant hooliganism.   I am sure it worried my dad more than it did me at the time although I do recall being a little sacred at times.

• Like 1