Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Does having high valued assets at a medium sized club complicate team selection?

38 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

One if the most bizarre posts I've read fir a while.

As much as Fuchs has been one if my favourite players in the last few years there is no way any manager would pick him now over Chillwell.

Established England left back or Fuchs who's legs are clearly gone.

Also surprised to see how many here are ready to call fir Maguire to be dropped. 

Again established in the England side and out of a the CB would be the first selection everytime.

What was the question? 

Chilwell has scored 0 and got 4 assists. To think of the amount of good positions he gets into I think that is an awful return. Although he's improved defensively, I don't think he's rock solid. 

Ricardo has offered nearly double in assists and goals than what Chilwell has and has probably got himself into half the good positions Chilwell has. 

I think Chilwell flatters to deceive.

Edited by Collymore

Just now, Collymore said:

Chilwell has scored 0 and got 4 assists. To think of the amount of good positions he gets into I think that is an awful return. Although he's improved defensively, I don't think he's rock solid. 

Ricardo has offered nearly double in assists and goals than what Chilwell has and has probably has had got himself into half the good positions Chilwell does. 

I think Chilwell flatters to deceive.

Well your in the very small minority.

54 minutes ago, Guest said:

It reads to me like a pretty obvious criticism of those players and an implication that their continued presence in the team is down to their status as a "high valued asset" to the club rather than their ability or importance to the team. Aside from that, I don't know what the point is. 

I guess it goes both ways. My take was knowing both are sort after. If we dropped them now to play Soyuncu and a. N. Other to blood them for next season would it affect the price. I would think not. 

If as you say its just plain criticism of the two player? Then it's just another bollox thread. Also not just slagging off the players it's slagging off Rodgers to. 

This is a problem at any club, regardless of size.

I reiterate my long-standing belief that transfer fees should all be undisclosed. It's none of our business what one club pays another club to release a player from his contract. Who cares?

3 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Hummm...did we not just win 4 on the trot before Newcastle? All with Barnes and Chillwell in the side team.

lol yep,  cant argue with that.. but (hehehe i will a little)...i feel as though they often find themselves running to similar spaces.

Maybe its just time to work out where each other is.

A large part of Chilwell’s value is his age/potential. I don’t think dropping/resting him would do his value any harm.

In terms of his development and looking to the future there is more benefit in playing him working on his game building his relationship with Barnes and using the rest of the season to get him to work on certain things. Playing Fuchs offers no long term benefit to the club.

Maguire is a little more difficult situation it is not Maguire or Evans, both can play or neither, successful defensive lines are built on understanding and not individual skill. You pick a pairing that works best together and I would say that has been Morgan and Evans based on this season. Maguire offers something else and is the better footballer with his marauding runs and ball playing skills and anyone who plays three at the back would want him. We don’t play 3 at the back and some of those marauding runs put us in trouble, but looking long term if we can build Maguire’s strengths into the team then that is the better outcome. There is an argument to throw Soyuncu in and see how he gets on maybe pairing Maguire with Soyuncu will bring the best out in Maguire. 

I think at the moment if you’re Brendan you play the best team you can with one eye on next season.

On 16/04/2019 at 00:18, Collymore said:

I felt that Chilwell especially was a hinderance against Newcastle - Some pulsating runs (again) with no end product that totally bypassed the midfield and nullified our threat. I can't understand how hopeless he still is in the final third, it's mind boggling that he hasn't improved at all. 

Maguire at times I find excruciating when he seems to think he can do a better job than Tielemans and Maddison when he ploughs forward with little end product only leaving himself out of position. 

In short you dont like players that move forward with the ball, I adore these type of players, it often more efficient than passing as usually they either get he ball forward or draw a foul.  It actually a big reason I get frustrated with wes as he doesnt like to move forward to support the the forward players.

I agree chilwell in the final 3rd is very underwhelming at the moment tho, hopefully rodgers can improve that.  Or just have him always pass to to another player close by.

On 16/04/2019 at 07:49, murphy said:

I think the fact that Silva, Nacho, Slim and Musa can't/couldn't get into the team shows that transfer value does not mean automatic selection.

Well nacho got a lot of game time considering his performances.  His value definitely had an impact.  If a youth player performed at the level he has he wouldnt have got nowhere near the pitch time, and instead be shipped out on loan (which barnes did).  Likewise it took a while for musa to start been dropped as well.

Silva was just a result of us messing up the transfer and meant when he was eligible he wasnt match fit and the team was used to playing without him, so was never going to work.  Something I predicted before it happened.  Slim was also given a lot of game time.

Probably take a lashing on here for this but here goes. 

thought Chilwell was given too much praise in the highlight reel on MOTD tonight. They picked up on his only one good bit of play forward and obviously his assist but cared to ignore that Antonio had him on toast for most the match. It's almost he can do nothing wrong and all the pundits just seem to ignore how unreliable he is.

I kind of feel myself becoming a bit of a Chilwell basher and it's unlike me to be like this with our players as I normally support each and one of them, even Gray and Nacho but I feel really frustrated that people think he is the finished article, he's bloody England No1 LB for christ sake! How on God's Earth has that happened? 

There's something about Chilwell that doesn't sit right with me - kind of like I'll wake up from the Truman Show/Matrix situation after me realising that he was programmed wrong into reality.  I just can't connect with the guy's personality and really do feel he's hindering us both in attack and defence at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

Probably take a lashing on here for this but here goes. 

thought Chilwell was given too much praise in the highlight reel on MOTD tonight. They picked up on his only one good bit of play forward and obviously his assist but cared to ignore that Antonio had him on toast for most the match. It's almost he can do nothing wrong and all the pundits just seem to ignore how unreliable he is.

I kind of feel myself becoming a bit of a Chilwell basher and it's unlike me to be like this with our players as I normally support each and one of them, even Gray and Nacho but I feel really frustrated that people think he is the finished article, he's bloody England No1 LB for christ sake! How on God's Earth has that happened? 

There's something about Chilwell that doesn't sit right with me - kind of like I'll wake up from the Truman Show/Matrix situation after me realising that he was programmed wrong into reality.  I just can't connect with the guy's personality and really do feel he's hindering us both in attack and defence at the moment. 

I 100% relate to this.

and - if I may - I think the thing that doesn’t sit well with you may be that I’ve never seen a player complain more to the ref than him. He goes down way too easily and persists with aggressively complaining way too long after the fact.  Sometimes it’s legit. But even if it is... got to get on with it. And it’s also not legit a significant amount of time.

I just hate that shit. Obviously there was an Exhibit A example that happened today. But it’s rare a game goes by that this doesn’t happen to the point I notice it

I agree as well with both above. I just can’t see how people think he’s something special.

he has a great engine but he’s poor defensively in general and his final product is 90% terrible and his shooting has no power or technique.

Ive said for a while now that he has all the basics there and can improve but atm he’s still far off being complete and vastly over rated imo.