Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Does having high valued assets at a medium sized club complicate team selection?

Evans for Maguire

Fuchs for Chilwell

Two changes that I might controversially make if if I was manager answering to no one in the next match.

That's possibly £150m amount of assets I'd be down valuing and broadcasting the point to the world. Don't think you could get away with fake injuries for very long...

It's easier to do that at a bigger club like Man City and probably why we got our eyes taken out buying Nacho - it's easier to camouflage shite in a squad full of world class players. 

Not saying that Ben and Harry are ringers, just feel that possibly we're in a situation where we wouldn't dare let the world know they're not first name on the team sheet and we could suffer in the short term because of that... 

• Like 2

I suppose if a "50m" player is being kept on the bench by a 5m player, it does throw their valuation into question a little. Could lower their value too, especially if said player then wants to leave because he's not getting as much game time. 

So yeah, I suppose it must factor a fair bit, but I don't think it's just a medium-sized club problem. I don't think it should bother us too much though, because I imagine we want to keep hold of Chilwell and Maguire for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

So in other words, are we afraid to drop the likes of Chilwell and Maguire because we think their potential transfer value would drop as a result? Can't see it. They're two of the first names on the team sheet because they're two of our better players, no other reason. 

The back 4 picks itself when everyone is fit and available

Ricardo Evans Maguire Chilwell

they are our best back 4, can’t see why you’d drop any of them.

They may make mistakes or have bad games, but if they didn’t they wouldn’t play for us!

Fuchs and Morgan are great cover but shouldn’t be anymore than that at this stage.

I felt that Chilwell especially was a hinderance against Newcastle - Some pulsating runs (again) with no end product that totally bypassed the midfield and nullified our threat. I can't understand how hopeless he still is in the final third, it's mind boggling that he hasn't improved at all. 

Maguire at times I find excruciating when he seems to think he can do a better job than Tielemans and Maddison when he ploughs forward with little end product only leaving himself out of position. 

6 hours ago, weller54 said:

Have you got any? 

Chris Sutton, Adrian Durham & Jon Moss belong to the same ‘Bell-end’ Chapter as me, do they count as friends?

Edited by mozartfox
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Guest said:

So in other words, are we afraid to drop the likes of Chilwell and Maguire because we think their potential transfer value would drop as a result? Can't see it. They're two of the first names on the team sheet because they're two of our better players, no other reason. 

I think people are missing the point. It's a hypothetical question. We know Mags and Chilly are two of our better players. 

7 hours ago, Collymore said:

I felt that Chilwell especially was a hinderance against Newcastle - Some pulsating runs (again) with no end product that totally bypassed the midfield and nullified our threat. I can't understand how hopeless he still is in the final third, it's mind boggling that he hasn't improved at all. 

Maguire at times I find excruciating when he seems to think he can do a better job than Tielemans and Maddison when he ploughs forward with little end product only leaving himself out of position. 

That's 100m of talent you're slating there!! ??

Regarding the Morgan situation its no brainer like above...Evans is the 'Huth' of the back line... He is superior and vastly experienced and understands everything about the position, if you partner Morgan with anyone they have a woeful game.

Edited by les-tah

Guest Cujek

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Any manager worth his salt should have no qualms dropping people if they have a dip in form.

All players go through this from time to time.

As long as the manager is allowed to make his own decisions, and i assume Rodgers is or he wouldn't be here, then all is ok.

we dont see what goes on in training which is obviously important and what is trained out may not work in the real world, as demonstrated against Newcastle, i highly doubt the instructions was to go out and be a bit shit, it was more likely to be to attack on the wings as they will pack the midfield, which ultimately failed (Benetiz is most likely a better tactician than Rodgers).

We also dont see the team dynamics which also are quite important when selecting the team.

at the end of the day, who knows, lets just cheer on who ever they put out.

6 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Chillwell is better than Fuchs (now) and it should be Wes being swapped out for Evans.

Having said that, i dont think that Chillwell and Barnes in the same team works.

Hummm...did we not just win 4 on the trot before Newcastle? All with Barnes and Chillwell in the side team.

15 hours ago, Collymore said:

Evans for Maguire

Fuchs for Chilwell

Two changes that I might controversially make if if I was manager answering to no one in the next match.

That's possibly £150m amount of assets I'd be down valuing and broadcasting the point to the world. Don't think you could get away with fake injuries for very long...

It's easier to do that at a bigger club like Man City and probably why we got our eyes taken out buying Nacho - it's easier to camouflage shite in a squad full of world class players. 

Not saying that Ben and Harry are ringers, just feel that possibly we're in a situation where we wouldn't dare let the world know they're not first name on the team sheet and we could suffer in the short term because of that... 

One if the most bizarre posts I've read fir a while.

As much as Fuchs has been one if my favourite players in the last few years there is no way any manager would pick him now over Chillwell.

Established England left back or Fuchs who's legs are clearly gone.

Also surprised to see how many here are ready to call fir Maguire to be dropped. 

Again established in the England side and out of a the CB would be the first selection everytime.

What was the question? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sylofox said:

I think people are missing the point. It's a hypothetical question. We know Mags and Chilly are two of our better players. 

It reads to me like a pretty obvious criticism of those players and an implication that their continued presence in the team is down to their status as a "high valued asset" to the club rather than their ability or importance to the team. Aside from that, I don't know what the point is. 

• Like 2