Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grebfromgrebland

Also In The News

Just now, Carl the Llama said:

So you agree that he fvcked up?  That it was correct to call him out?  Then I really can't understand how you're concluding that an unnecessary loss of Kurdish and Turkish lives with Turkey annexing a part of Syria before calling it quits on their own terms constitutes the libs being destroyed for raising very legitimate complaints.

It's not just 'the left' who have a problem with introspection.

Of course he ****ed up.

If you remember the Trump thread the two reasons I said I couldn't vote for him were his excessive borrowing and the fact America will completely retreat from the World stage.

I hope those on the right and left now realise what can happen when they demand the USA just ignores it's role in global protectionism - that includes his possible scepticism on NATO.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Of course he ****ed up.

If you remember the Trump thread the two reasons I said I couldn't vote for him were his excessive borrowing and the fact America will completely retreat from the World stage.

I hope those on the right and left now realise what can happen when they demand the USA just ignores it's role in global protectionism - that includes his possible scepticism on NATO.

We're literally demanding the opposite.

3 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

We're literally demanding the opposite.

Exactly my point. The people who for years have demanded they get out of everywhere should look at this and see the potential consequences.

Just now, MattP said:

Exactly my point. The people who for years have demanded they get out of everywhere should look at this and see the potential consequences.

I believe that not wanting unnecessary wars waged and wanting troops that are presently maintaining peace in volatile zones to continue doing so are not mutually exclusive concepts.  If anybody's called for a mass withdrawal of all US forces from all conflict zones then they're obviously an idiot.

• Like 3

This video is 'old' news (5 months) so apologies if it's already been covered but I've only just seen it.  Paints the damning reality of the Tangerine Dream's great economic policies.

Now obviously the Fanta Menace isn't directly responsible for the shitty handling of the situation but he is responsible for making grand promises to his voters then failing horribly to keep them.  He is responsible for making the CEOs richer while the poor who he campaigned as a champion of continue to suffer.

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

I believe that not wanting unnecessary wars waged and wanting troops that are presently maintaining peace in volatile zones to continue doing so are not mutually exclusive concepts.  If anybody's called for a mass withdrawal of all US forces from all conflict zones then they're obviously an idiot.

But Carl, seeing things as a dichotomy on this matter makes for a much easier strawman to burn down - you shouldn't get in the way of that, right?

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Of course, hence why I said both sides should think about it.

You are doing that thing again now where are you trying to get in an argument despite actually agreeing with the person you are talking to.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50090538

Can't say that I'm sad that someone so in hock to the fossil fuel industry is going.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-50094679/james-mattis-mocks-donald-trump-at-gala-dinner

"I earned my spurs on the battlefield... and Donald Trump earned his spurs in a letter from a doctor."

Mattis not holding back now, then.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Of course, hence why I said both sides should think about it.

You are doing that thing again now where are you trying to get in an argument despite actually agreeing with the person you are talking to.

At the risk of confirming your bias, I don't think I am. 

My initial response was to question what exactly you were laughing about given that the criticism posted on here which Trump totally pwned by masterfully arranging a ceasefire turned out to be justified and the ceasefire not so masterful, as you've acknowledged.  I still don't understand what's so funny tbh because instead of answering the question you moved deftly on to the point about people demanding the USA ignore its role, which I again felt doesn't ring true because nobody that I know of asked for that. Maybe you know of some high profile politicians who have been arguing for unilateral withdrawal in which case fair enough, but it's not an opinion I've seen expressed on here (I stand to be corrected) so it's not really relevant to the discussion we were having.  Perhaps I'm missing something.

I'm glad we agree that the USA has its responsibilities towards maintaining global stability and that it shouldn't go around starting needless conflicts, but I disagree with the way you've structured your argument if that's your core point.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50090538

Can't say that I'm sad that someone so in hock to the fossil fuel industry is going.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-50094679/james-mattis-mocks-donald-trump-at-gala-dinner

"I earned my spurs on the battlefield... and Donald Trump earned his spurs in a letter from a doctor."

Mattis not holding back now, then.

"The Meryl Streep of generals". lol

5 hours ago, MattP said:

Within a few minutes of each other.

Well Matt, if you’re kind enough to read on...

The alternative take to this...”

You posted in absolutes and I showed there’s a flip side. 

You’re clever enough to comprehend this mate.

4 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Horrific images. Reminiscent of the Vietnam War.

Begs the question who supplied Turkey with these kinds of weapons in the first place. I'd place my bets on the usual suspects.

And where's the UN when you need them?

11 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

This video is 'old' news (5 months) so apologies if it's already been covered but I've only just seen it.  Paints the damning reality of the Tangerine Dream's great economic policies.

Now obviously the Fanta Menace isn't directly responsible for the shitty handling of the situation but he is responsible for making grand promises to his voters then failing horribly to keep them.  He is responsible for making the CEOs richer while the poor who he campaigned as a champion of continue to suffer.

Exactly, Trump isn't responsible for the shitty way these people were treated by their own company or (indirectly) by General Motors.

It's difficult to say whether Trump enabled General Motors to move plants down to Mexico or not; on that management level, such a decision isn't often made overnight, so one could assume it was made (way) before Trump held his speech. And I'm not an expert to see how Trump could prevent GM from moving parts of its production abroad.

In the end, it's a highly regrettable move and you can't but feel for these particular workers. However, since Trump's inauguration, Ohio's unemployment rate on the whole has gone down from 5.2% to 4.1%.

And as most economists will tell you, bringing the rate down by a percent at these low levels is an achievement in itself.

Sacrifice a few (hundred) for the benefit of many (thousands).

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Horrific images. Reminiscent of the Vietnam War.

Begs the question who supplied Turkey with these kinds of weapons in the first place. I'd place my bets on the usual suspects.

And where's the UN when you need them?

I imagine there are members of the security council who would veto any UN involvement.

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Exactly, Trump isn't responsible for the shitty way these people were treated by their own company or (indirectly) by General Motors.

It's difficult to say whether Trump enabled General Motors to move plants down to Mexico or not; on that management level, such a decision isn't often made overnight, so one could assume it was made (way) before Trump held his speech. And I'm not an expert to see how Trump could prevent GM from moving parts of its production abroad.

In the end, it's a highly regrettable move and you can't but feel for these particular workers. However, since Trump's inauguration, Ohio's unemployment rate on the whole has gone down from 5.2% to 4.1%.

And as most economists will tell you, bringing the rate down by a percent at these low levels is an achievement in itself.

Sacrifice a few (hundred) for the benefit of many (thousands).

It's a few thousand for a few more thousand to be more accurate.  But that is good news though it only tells a bit of the story.  For instance on job creation, which was the key part of his promise, he's actually slowed the nation down (188k p/m vs 217k p/m under incompetent Barry).  Labour force participation was at 62.9% when he took office and it's swung between 62.7 and 63.2% since, currently it's back at the top end of that bracket but past results suggest it won't hold, this relative lack of movement implies that a sustained drop unemployment could be largely explained by an increase in unemployed people no longer declared looking for work within the past 4 weeks as per the federal definition.  To make matters worse, after being boosted by rocketing national debt, the growth rate is now showing signs of slowing which is not what you want when that debt is still rising apace.

You'll be pleased to hear though that corporate profits are up 6.9% and and oil production has increased by 33.6% since the walking sunbed accident took office.

Edited by Carl the Llama

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Classy, bowing to minority politics.

Companies can donate to whomever they want to, no matter how "offended" one may be.

I thought the Salvation Army, for instance, were a decent non-profit organisation, offering services to the poor and elderly? What's wrong with youth homes?

Granted, the religious aspect of it I could do without, but at least these entities are trying to help people who are having a rough time. How is that "hostile? :blink:

Besides, nobody's forcing people to eat at Chick-fil-A.

10 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

I imagine there are members of the security council who would veto any UN involvement.

It's a few thousand for a few more thousand to be more accurate.  But that is good news though it only tells a bit of the story.  For instance on job creation, which was the key part of his promise, he's actually slowed the nation down (188k p/m vs 217k p/m under incompetent Barry).  Labour force participation was at 62.9% when he took office and it's swung between 62.7 and 63.2% since, currently it's back at the top end of that bracket but past results suggest it won't hold, this relative lack of movement implies that a sustained drop unemployment could be largely explained by an increase in unemployed people no longer declared looking for work within the past 4 weeks as per the federal definition.  To make matters worse, after being boosted by rocketing national debt, the growth rate is now showing signs of slowing which is not what you want when that debt is still rising apace.

You'll be pleased to hear though that corporate profits are up 6.9% and and oil production has increased by 33.6% since the walking sunbed accident took office.

You're using labour force as an indicator here; in comparison, Obama's stats are way worse - down from 66 to 62 percent in between 2010 and 2016:

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/labor-force-participation-rate

For context, in the same time frame, the US population has grown by another 18 million people (309 to 327 million); trying to integrate all these new people (which I suspect are mostly immigrants, thus mostly adults) into the job market is a task in itself. Which also puts the job creation numbers in a different light. And Forbes research tell a somewhat different story here also:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2018/08/02/july-marks-94-months-of-continuous-u-s-job-creation-infographic/#14787a8d2d66

Edited by MC Prussian

16 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Classy, bowing to minority politics.

Companies can donate to whomever they want to, no matter how "offended" one may be.

I thought the Salvation Army, for instance, were a decent non-profit organisation, offering services to the poor and elderly? What's wrong with youth homes?

Granted, the religious aspect of it I could do without, but at least these entities are trying to help people who are having a rough time. How is that "hostile? :blink:

Besides, nobody's forcing people to eat at Chick-fil-A.

Yeah, but donating to a charity that then backs a regime that wants the genocide of a particular demographic within their borders isn't a particularly good look IMO.

55 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, but donating to a charity that then backs a regime that wants the genocide of a particular demographic within their borders isn't a particularly good look IMO.

Yeah, but that wasn't the point the BBC article you quoted was making, was it?

It's Reading Pride vs. Chick-fil-A.

Explain the charity bit, because that's not mentioned in the article. Sources, details.