Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grebfromgrebland

Also In The News

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-50151344 

People queuing up despite knowing how the indigenous popn feel about setting foot on Uluru doesn't sound like the Australia I know at all... 

Sounds like Australians to me.

One tourist interviewed on the BBC said, "I think it is disrespectful..." and then went on to say how she had walked up it and loved it. Worst kind of person... until...

On the radio later I heard an Aussie (I'm guessing a white Australian) say, "this is Australia and it should be free to Australians." Which is kind of the point, you 9th generation colonist!

I just hope that tomorrow there's a queue of Aborigines waiting to pee on Sydney Opera House or take a steaming dump in Ramsey Street.

• Like 3

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50172907

A case that sums up the polarised viewpoints in the US right now, I think.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50181855

It is a matter of such sadness that one of the few genuinely egalitarian societies in the ME gets screwed again and again by the authoritarian bastards on every side of it, and mostly the major powers that be don't care because such authoritarian bastards tend to be more reliable for business.

Quite bizarre how there has been barely any media coverage of this over here - https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/10/bomb-attacks-are-now-a-normal-part-of-swedish-life/

To understand how Sweden arrived at this degree of normalisation, consider the statistics: between January and June this year, more than 100 explosions were reported in the country, up from about 70 in the same period last year. A total of more than 160 suspected attacks with explosives were reported last year. There are no comparable figures available for earlier years because it’s such a recent phenomenon. Until recently no one would have thought of adding a column on bombings to the national Swedish crime statistics.

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

Quite bizarre how there has been barely any media coverage of this over here - https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/10/bomb-attacks-are-now-a-normal-part-of-swedish-life/

To understand how Sweden arrived at this degree of normalisation, consider the statistics: between January and June this year, more than 100 explosions were reported in the country, up from about 70 in the same period last year. A total of more than 160 suspected attacks with explosives were reported last year. There are no comparable figures available for earlier years because it’s such a recent phenomenon. Until recently no one would have thought of adding a column on bombings to the national Swedish crime statistics.

Probably because for all that these explosions are spectacular,they do not appear to have killed many people, and the number of gang-related deaths by shooting as a total number appear to be reasonably similar to the UK.

There's clearly a problem that needs to be addressed, but it's far from the brown-people-are-taking-over-the-asylum-amid-rivers-of-blood rhetoric that this Spectator article implies.

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50172907

A case that sums up the polarised viewpoints in the US right now, I think.

How on earth do you manage to come to that conclusion?

The transgender issue is just the newest fad in society, really. It's terrible to abuse children in this way, as part of a custody battle. To me, the mother is pursuing an agenda, why forcing a six-year old to come out as a girl when it's just way too early into his natural development (sexuality doesn't come into play until you hit puberty), young kids at that age changing their mind constantly and the boy not fully realizing what it's all about in the first place.

It's such a shame that there are parents using their children in this manner, they ought to be ashamed of themselves. The mother has been manipulating that boy for the past three years, surely.

To then use this example as a mirror image of the political situation in the US is closer to wishful thinking on your behalf than reality.

10 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Probably because for all that these explosions are spectacular,they do not appear to have killed many people, and the number of gang-related deaths by shooting as a total number appear to be reasonably similar to the UK.

There's clearly a problem that needs to be addressed, but it's far from the brown-people-are-taking-over-the-asylum-amid-rivers-of-blood rhetoric that this Spectator article implies.

So it's only an issue once people are killed? :dunno:

Injuries and damages stemming from gang-related bomb attacks are increasing in Sweden, a country that was once known for its liberal politics, peacefulness, tranquility and welcoming attitude towards foreigners from all parts of the world:

https://www.ft.com/content/0af96328-8d07-11e9-a1c1-51bf8f989972

Deadly shootings are also up for the third time running:

https://www.thejournal.ie/sweden-shootings-gangs-increase-4711474-Jul2019/

Edited by MC Prussian

Just now, MC Prussian said:

The transgender issue is just the newest fad in society, really. It's terrible to abuse children in this way, as part of a custody battle. To me, the mother is pursuing an agenda, why forcing a six-year old to come out as a girl when it's just way too early into his natural development (sexuality doesn't come into play until you hit puberty), young kids at that age changing their mind constantly and the boy not fully realizing what it's all about in the first place.

It's such a shame that there are parents using their children in this manner, they ought to be ashamed of themselves. The mother has been manipulating that boy for the past three years, surely.

To then use this example as a mirror image of the political situation in the US is closer to wishful thinking on your behalf than reality.

...because you and the father clearly have one point of view on the matter, and others (including myself) and the mother have another one that are very much at odds with one another, and those viewpoints do seem to align rather closely with the current political lines in the US on other matters, too. Both sides think that they are morally right and the other side is morally wrong - and I think, to be honest, that what you've just said here bears that out.

I know I fall on one side of the fence, but I'm not quite sure why one can think that this isn't just another divisive and polarising issue in of itself.

Just now, MC Prussian said:

So it's only an issue once people are killed? :dunno:

Injuries and damages stemming from gang-related bomb attacks are increasing in Sweden, a country that was once known for its liberal politics, peacefulness, tranquility and welcoming attitude towards foreigners from all parts of the world:

https://www.ft.com/content/0af96328-8d07-11e9-a1c1-51bf8f989972

Deadly shooting are also up for the third time running:

https://www.thejournal.ie/sweden-shootings-gangs-increase-4711474-Jul2019/

From the viewpoint of the media (which is what Matt was referring to), absolutely. If it bleeds, it leads.

That it's a problem isn't a question, but fact is the media are only likely to really take notice if people start dying.

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

...because you and the father clearly have one point of view on the matter, and others (including myself) and the mother have another one that are very much at odds with one another, and those viewpoints do seem to align rather closely with the current political lines in the US on other matters, too. Both sides think that they are morally right and the other side is morally wrong - and I think, to be honest, that what you've just said here bears that out.

I know I fall on one side of the fence, but I'm not quite sure why one can think that this isn't just another divisive and polarising issue in of itself.

Why do you side with the mother?

The child's health and natural development should be more important than anything.

To me, it's again sad to see a child being used as some sort of movable object fit for individual third-party purpose.

If the boy at age 18 came out and declared himself to be transgender, no issue. His own decision. I just see the mother playing with fire here, and when courts tend to side with the mother in about 90% of all divorce cases when it comes to custody, she's got the law on her side mainly because... woman.

The boy's been in the mother's custody for the past three year, she's had the biggest influence on the kid, so she should be held accountable for what she did.

Also, transgender people tend to have a fragile state of mind, as they switch between identities more than others. Suicide rate among transgender is very high.

https://www.aappublications.org/news/2019/10/14/suicide101419

Where I agree is that this issue should be a private one, one between two adults, with the law to settle it nicely. But custody battles tend to rear their ugly heads, when two adults try to deal with the break-up, especially when both are vindictive for whatever reason shortly after the divorce.

Media and politics are also using the subject, though. For their own purposes.

19 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

From the viewpoint of the media (which is what Matt was referring to), absolutely. If it bleeds, it leads.

That it's a problem isn't a question, but fact is the media are only likely to really take notice if people start dying.

As demonstrated by the aforementioned link, there is a correlation between violent attacks and an increase in violent deaths in Sweden.

But we don't tend to hear that over here. Why is that?

The country has clearly important a particular problem over the past couple of years, and we're now seeing part of the consequences.

Edited by MC Prussian

1 minute ago, MC Prussian said:

The child's health and natural development should be more important than anything.

To me, it's again sad to see a child being used as some sort of movable object fit for individual third-party purpose.

If the boy at age 18 came out and declared himself to be transgender, no issue. His own decision. I just see the mother playing with fire here, and when courts tend to side with the mother in about 90% of all divorce cases when it comes to custody, she's got the law on her side mainly because... woman.

The boy's been in the mother's custody for the past three year, she's had the biggest influence on the kid, so she should be held accountable for what she did.

Also, transgender people tend to have a fragile state of mind, as they switch between identities more than others. Suicide rate among transgender is very high.

Where I agree is that this issue should be a private one, one between two adults, with the law to settle it nicely. But custody battles tend to rear their ugly heads, when two adults try to deal with the break-up, especially when both are vindictive for whatever reason shortly after the divorce.

You arguing with him, and his point was it's a polarising subject. Surely by arguing with him you're proving his point lol 

6 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

You arguing with him, and his point was it's a polarising subject. Surely by arguing with him you're proving his point lol 

I don't think custody battles are that polarizing an issue, I think the media have jumped on this in order to promote minority issues, using a child as a pawn in the grand scheme of things.

If it weren't for the media pushing this story, we'd never even have heard of it.

Edited by MC Prussian

2 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Because I think that what the child thinks in terms of self-determination is important, and while that isn't enough by itself due to maturity issues the course of action is also supported by many medical professionals, who evidently intend to see thaat the course of action remains safe and that the childs health is the highest priority. The article pretty much demonstrates that.

Please don't go gish galloping into how courts handle divorce cases and issues of sexism there - that's only one part of the thread here.

I also agree that it should have been handled privately - that it wasn't, and that the media got hold of it and ran with it, is also indicative that they think this is symbolic of the division based on ideology in the US too.

1 minute ago, MC Prussian said:

As demonstrated by the aforementioned link, there is a correlation between violent attacks and an increase in violent deaths in Sweden.

But we don't tend to hear that over here. Why is that?

The country has clearly important a particular problem over the past couple of years, and we're now seeing part of the consequences.

...again, because that rise in violent deaths isn't statistically significant enough to be picked up by the media. Or you can buy the "librul-media" conspiracy theory if you want, because that's the obvious inference.

I'm assuming important = imported here, right? Well, as per above, I personally don't think this is the "brown-people-are-taking-over-the-asylum-amid-rivers-of-blood" massive problem that the article infers and that it needs to be dealt with in typcially harsh fashion.

4 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

I don't think custody battles are that polarizing an issue, I think the media have jumped on this in order to promote minority issues, using a child as a pawn in the grand scheme of things.

If it weren't for the media pushing this story, we'd never even have heard of it.

....then why take a polarised viewpoint on this issue in the first place?

Answering for myself: it's clearly not about the custody battle, it's about transgender children - your first reply made that clear. Which evidently is a polarising issue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Because I think that what the child thinks in terms of self-determination is important, and while that isn't enough by itself due to maturity issues the course of action is also supported by many medical professionals, who evidently intend to see thaat the course of action remains safe and that the childs health is the highest priority. The article pretty much demonstrates that.

Please don't go gish galloping into how courts handle divorce cases and issues of sexism there - that's only one part of the thread here.

I also agree that it should have been handled privately - that it wasn't, and that the media got hold of it and ran with it, is also indicative that they think this is symbolic of the division based on ideology in the US too.

...again, because that rise in violent deaths isn't statistically significant enough to be picked up by the media. Or you can buy the "librul-media" conspiracy theory if you want, because that's the obvious inference.

I'm assuming important = imported here, right? Well, as per above, I personally don't think this is the "brown-people-are-taking-over-the-asylum-amid-rivers-of-blood" massive problem that the article infers and that it needs to be dealt with in typcially harsh fashion.

....then why take a polarised viewpoint on this issue in the first place?

Answering for myself: it's clearly not about the custody battle, it's about transgender children - your first reply made that clear. Which evidently is a polarising issue.

I know it's a side issue, but I do think it's important in context to know that 90% of all custody battles are decided in favour of the mother. I can understand that it's partly down to logic, as women are considered to be more caring. That doesn't mean that single mothers make for a better parent. There's a box full of issues on its own right there.

It's a shame to see parents not staying together through thick and thin when you look at the divorce rates these days - and it's even worse when you have a (young) child on the side that is being used by at least one party as an object serving personal interests, to settle conflicts with the other former partner.

If I've been following this case closely enough, based on what I've read, neither the father nor the mother are coming out of this with a clean vest.

The father for going public and not handling it privately - however, the mother allegedly used her sondaughter for promotional purposes before when heshe was younger, so that reeks of personal gain.

The mother for manipulating her son into thinking that he is a girl (when he is clearly not).

Also, this also seems to me to be indicative of US culture, and not so much US politics - although I can see why some would like to use it as an example to propagate division and a downfall due to one particular person in charge of the country.

However, the subject of custody battles predates Orange Man by at least a century.

I'd have a somewhat different perspective on this case if the boy was allowed to find into his sexuality on his own, without the mother having such a massive influence. She is clearly guiding the boy into a direction she wants him to go, and that is appalling.

If the media were consequential enough, they wouldn't just be pushing transgender as a new hype, they'd also be considerate enough to explore the mental and physical consequences. There are evidently enough examples of people who've later on regretted following a trend, an instinct, and later on revert back to their original sex.

I don't see my take on this as being "polarized" or "polarizing". Part of the problem is divorce/custody battles, the other a mother's potentially harmful influence on her child that is still ages away from knowing what sexuality or sex actually is.

The main issue isn't transgenderism, it's fvcked up, woke parents.

And the media are complicit for pushing a minority issue to the front page.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

Morrissey expresses sentiments that would go down well among some FT posters....

Earlier this month Morrissey ejected an anti-far-right protester from his gig in Portland.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/oct/27/morrissey-performs-in-la-wearing-****-the-guardian-t-shirt

"The former Smiths frontman wore the top during a concert at the Hollywood Bowl on Saturday, weeks after he described this newspaper as “the voice of all that is wrong and sad about modern Britain”. lol

9 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

I know it's a side issue, but I do think it's important in context to know that 90% of all custody battles are decided in favour of the mother. I can understand that it's partly down to logic, as women are considered to be more caring. That doesn't mean that single mothers make for a better parent. There's a box full of issues on its own right there.

It's a shame to see parents not staying together through thick and thin when you look at the divorce rates these days - and it's even worse when you have a (young) child on the side that is being used by at least one party as an object serving personal interests, to settle conflicts with the other former partner.

If I've been following this case closely enough, based on what I've read, neither the father nor the mother are coming out of this with a clean vest.

The father for going public and not handling it privately - however, the mother allegedly used her sondaughter for promotional purposes before when heshe was younger, so that reeks of personal gain.

The mother for manipulating her son into thinking that he is a girl (when he is clearly not).

Also, this also seems to me to be indicative of US culture, and not so much US politics - although I can see why some would like to use it as an example to propagate division and a downfall due to one particular person in charge of the country.

However, the subject of custody battles predates Orange Man by at least a century.

I'd have a somewhat different perspective on this case if the boy was allowed to find into his sexuality on his own, without the mother having such a massive influence. She is clearly guiding the boy into a direction she wants him to go, and that is appalling.

If the media were consequential enough, they wouldn't just be pushing transgender as a new hype, they'd also be considerate enough to explore the mental and physical consequences. There are evidently enough examples of people who've later on regretted following a trend, an instinct, and later on revert back to their original sex.

I don't see my take on this as being "polarized" or "polarizing". Part of the problem is divorce/custody battles, the other a mother's potentially harmful influence on her child that is still ages away from knowing what sexuality or sex actually is.

The main issue isn't transgenderism, it's fvcked up, woke parents.

And the media are complicit for pushing a minority issue to the front page.

Divorce is a tricky issue - especially when there are children involved. That being said, I'm of the opinion that time is a pretty precious resource and if one is in a relationship where folks are clearly no longer happy and communication has broken down, then there isn't much point wasting time suffering for longer and the options to call it off and seek happiness elsewhere should be reasonably easy to access. As I've said before, suffering doesn't breed character - it just messes people up.

You've got a point in that this does seem to be a cultural clash going on here as opposed to a political one, but it is a thing that often the cultural does become personal when political parties make cultural things aspects of their policy, like religion, for example.

I can't see how you can know that the mother is manipulating the kid without actually knowing the people involved personally - you can suspect it, of course, and it might be correct, but you're quoting opinion as fact here. WRT trans "regret" from teenagers...it is a thing and it is possible, and that is why the medical professionals involved in this case are ensuring that any treatments applied are easily reversible and the kid if free to change their mind any time they want with not much in the way of health consequences. As far as I can tell, this is all being handled with the kids best interests in mind - I'm sure there have been cases like this before, though not ones so heavily publicised.

And, Prussian, mate, you've taken up a position in a debate that's clearly agreeing with one side and disagreeing with the other. That's being polarised.

NB. With respect to changing gender identity - or just general identity as a whole - I actually think that the further we move away from the idea of such identities being set in stone the day that we are born and being able to change them through medical tech, the better. The more easily people are able to change their identities and the way they present, then the more people might think that such identities don't actually matter in the first place and that no one identity is better than another - and that thought that one identity is better than another has led to a very great deal of death, suffering and misery throughout human history, so it would be good if humanity could move away from it and get to a place where the only thing that matters is the individual, and the human race as a whole.

16 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Image result for false dwight"

In so many ways

17 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi finally dead - blew himself up whilst trying to escape US forces.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50200339

Incredible this.

So at almost exactly the same time SNL were doing a sketch trying to claim Trump was being soft on ISIS he was actually overseeing a military operation that killed the head of ISIS.

American media has lost its marbles. 

45 minutes ago, MattP said:

Incredible this.

So at almost exactly the same time SNL were doing a sketch trying to claim Trump was being soft on ISIS he was actually overseeing a military operation that killed the head of ISIS.

American media has lost its marbles. 

To be fair Matt, I don’t see the US Defence Department being beholden to Saturday Night Live, so there’s a good chance they had no idea about the operation like anyone else band were probably working on what they knew up to that point. 

That said, Al-Baghdadi can burn in hell.