Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Brendan Rodgers' Leicester hopes and why he is still a modern coach

" "Our motto here forever and a day will be that the impossible is possible. But I think there is a realism here too. Everyone knows how difficult it will be to break into that top six. For us, the aim is to be in the group in behind who are challenging that. "

Glaring lack of ambition.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

" "Our motto here forever and a day will be that the impossible is possible. But I think there is a realism here too. Everyone knows how difficult it will be to break into that top six. For us, the aim is to be in the group in behind who are challenging that. "

Shocking, like having Puel back. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, That_Dude said:

This season it should certainly be the aim for top 6.

I see it as a great opportunity, with Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd going through transition periods.

However, if we play like we did against Wolves last Sunday I can't see us anywhere near the top 6. Fingers crossed the tempo is very different from now on. 70% slow possession is pointless if you don't score, or the first, and only, shot on target is in the 80th odd minute. Puel would have been slaughtered on here if we'd turned in a performance like that.

As for entertainment....of course we all want us to play well and win, but I'd take an ugly win any day of the week over a losing, but great display. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

I see it as a great opportunity, with Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd going through transition periods.

However, if we play like we did against Wolves last Sunday I can't see us anywhere near the top 6. Fingers crossed the tempo is very different from now on. 70% slow possession is pointless if you don't score, or the first, and only, shot on target is in the 80th odd minute. Puel would have been slaughtered on here if we'd turned in a performance like that.

As for entertainment....of course we all want us to play well and win, but I'd take an ugly win any day of the week over a losing, but great display. 

As good a manager as Rodgers is on days when it doesn't go to plan that's generally how it goes.  Seen it at Celtic and it became more frequent latterly.  That's not in any way a criticism because on the days it does go to plan, of which there were tons we got served up some enthralling performances.

The only part where there would be constructive criticism would be that on the bad days, when it's plainly obvious that you could play and pass side to side all day without breaking the opposition down he seems too stubborn with his principles to adapt and try a different approach, perhaps something a bit more direct.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, davieG said:

Brendan Rodgers has brought the buzz back to Leicester City and ambitions are high. Ahead of his return to Chelsea, he reflects

That reads like a journalistic Freudian slip to me.

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

As good a manager as Rodgers is on days when it doesn't go to plan that's generally how it goes.  Seen it at Celtic and it became more frequent latterly.  That's not in any way a criticism because on the days it does go to plan, of which there were tons we got served up some enthralling performances.

The only part where there would be constructive criticism would be that on the bad days, when it's plainly obvious that you could play and pass side to side all day without breaking the opposition down he seems too stubborn with his principles to adapt and try a different approach, perhaps something a bit more direct.

So you're saying that, if plan A doesn't work, he has no plan B. Tbf that was his problem at Swansea. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

I agree. At Celtic, in a piss poor, tin pot league, he could get away with poor, even dire, performances. Once a 'tough' match against a second rate Hearts is over, next is a match against a bunch of third or forth rate players.

In the P/L it's unforgiving and teams need to be much more flexible. There are few, if any, easy wins.

And even thought BR has good experience of the P/L, I hope the experience of the Scottish League hasn't softened him too much, because it's very different in the P/L. 

5 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

I agree. At Celtic, in a piss poor, tin pot league, he could get away with poor, even dire, performances. Once a 'tough' match against a second rate Hearts is over, next is a match against a bunch of third or forth rate players.

In the P/L it's unforgiving and teams need to be much more flexible. There are few, if any, easy wins.

And even thought BR has good experience of the P/L, I hope the experience of the Scottish League hasn't softened him too much, because it's very different in the P/L. 

If you have followed Rodgers as a coach then you’d realise this has feck all to do with the SPFL. He was guilty of the same at Swansea and Liverpool as others have pointed out on this thread.

For what it’s worth he didn’t get away with said performances either, in fact he got some unwarranted criticism after such games as despite being in a poor league there is an unrealistic expectation up here that even a draw is a disaster and we should be winning every game 5-0 and the likes. 

Edited by henrik_62

21 hours ago, ThaiFox said:

I think that the top 6 is only reachable if OGS and Lampard dramatically fail and we should have our sights set on Everton and the Wolves who are our real opponents. I'm fully with Rodgers when he said " For us, the aim is to be in the group in behind who are challenging that. ".

Funnily enough it's basically what Puel said last season and I'm quite astonished by the lack of outrage reactions on this forum. I guess it always depends on who says it.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, ThaiFox said:

Enough with Puel already! 

Claude would probably have thought last Sunday’s display was “qualitee” while at least BR seemed actually a bit disappointed. Over the course of the season we are going to suffer through some pedestrian (and even poor) performances under BR, but the best of BR would almost certainly better than the gruel largely served up by Puel. He did some good things while he was here, particularly with many of our youngsters, but that chapter is closed and it’s time to move on.

4 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

I think that the top 6 is only reachable if OGS and Lampard dramatically fail and we should have our sights set on Everton and the Wolves who are our real opponents. I'm fully with Rodgers when he said " For us, the aim is to be in the group in behind who are challenging that. ".

Funnily enough it's basically what Puel said last season and I'm quite astonished by the lack of outrage reactions on this forum. I guess it always depends on who says it.

Totally agree about the Puel reaction on here.

I said the same in the match ratings, and the post match Wolves thread, that if we'd played v Wolves like that under Puel he would have been slaughtered on here for that performance and his approval rating would have been around 10%.

I suppose it's because BR is still in a honeymoon period coupled with the relief on here that Puel has gone. But BR must up the tempo or his ratings will quickly fall. 

As for the top 6, I absolutely think we should be challenging for that. I see this season as a huge opportunity. Man Utd, Arsenal & Chelsea are all in transition. But we've no earthly chance if we're going to play like we did last Sunday. However, Everton, Wolves, West Ham will all be striving for that too.

I see the league in 4 parts. Man City & Liverpool, then it's Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spuds, Us, Everton, Wolves, West Ham, then 5 of the rest, then 5 fighting relegation. 

19 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

Rodgers has consistently said it's our aim to bring European football back to the club.

Puel said we couldn't compete with Wolves.

Just now, NaijaFox said:

Enough with Puel already! 

Claude would probably have thought last Sunday’s display was “qualitee” while at least BR seemed actually a bit disappointed. Over the course of the season we are going to suffer through some pedestrian (and even poor) performances under BR, but the best of BR would almost certainly better than the gruel largely served up by Puel. He did some good things while he was here, particularly with many of our youngsters, but that chapter is closed and it’s time to move on.

Yes, Puel has gone. And we've replaced him with an almost identically tactical manager, although he comes over much better in interviews.

But if you thought that performance v Wolves was anything better than the 'gruel' served up from Puel, I suggest you watch the match again!

In the after match interviews I've seen with Rodgers, he mainly talked about being so happy with VAR. I bet he was, because it got him off the hook.

1 minute ago, ThaiFox said:

I said the same in the match ratings, and the post match Wolves thread, that if we'd played v Wolves like that under Puel he would have been slaughtered on here for that performance and his approval rating would have been around 10%.

I suppose it's because BR is still in a honeymoon period coupled with the relief on here that Puel has gone. But BR must up the tempo or his ratings will quickly fall. 

It's not just about the one game in isolation though is it?

Performances like the Wolves one were happening far too often under Puel, against lesser teams.

I think fans can realise we've got a new manager, with a new system, new backroom staff etc. These things take time.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

Financially.

Yes, but it's a complete contrast in tone to what Rodgers is saying here.

He's basically saying the same thing, but Rodgers also says the impossible is possible, whilst Puel used to say if we're not happy with 8th then we're crazy.

Just two completely different personalities.

For the record I'd be happy enough with 8th!

2 minutes ago, Fosse93 said:

It's not just about the one game in isolation though is it?

Performances like the Wolves one were happening far too often under Puel, against lesser teams.

I think fans can realise we've got a new manager, with a new system, new backroom staff etc. These things take time.

I think fans were just happy to be rid of Puel!

I agree things take time......if he's allowed time. Few managers are, and it certainly wasn't given to Ranieri, Shakey, or Puel.

I remember some really decent performances under Puel, as well as several dire ones. But as I said in my previous post, it's almost like we've replaced him with a tactically identical manager.

Don't get me wrong, I loathe changing managers and would love some real stability at the club. I really hope BR fits for us and stays a long time. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

As for the top 6, I absolutely think we should be challenging for that. I see this season as a huge opportunity. Man Utd, Arsenal & Chelsea are all in transition. But we've no earthly chance if we're going to play like we did last Sunday. However, Everton, Wolves, West Ham will all be striving for that too.

I see the league in 4 parts. Man City & Liverpool, then it's Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spuds, Us, Everton, Wolves, West Ham, then 5 of the rest, then 5 fighting relegation. 

I'm a patient man, not fussed about the result against Wolverhampton and much prepared to give him time, because he's going to need it.

I get what you're saying, it would be more an opportunistic 6th place rather than an effective one. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check. As long as there is a clear direction, tangible progress and (occasionally) good football, I'd call myself satisfied and wouldn't look too much at the table.

Arsenal are a definite contender fort the top 4 imo and it's only a matter of (fortunate) circumstances that we're somewhat in competition with United and Chelsea them this season. it's still not clear where both of them are going to land at the end of the season. We'll know mor after the next 8 games or so. The quality of their team and bench is still above ours and they're streets ahead financially. Their misfortune won't last very long though and if we don't up our game financially, we won't able to challenge them.

Edited by That_Dude
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fosse93 said:

Yes, but it's a complete contrast in tone to what Rodgers is saying here.

He's basically saying the same thing, but Rodgers also says the impossible is possible, whilst Puel used to say if we're not happy with 8th then we're crazy.

Just two completely different personalities.

For the record I'd be happy enough with 8th!

BR just sugar-coated it but the reasonment is the same and he's not wrong. You should also remember that English isn't Puels mother tongue.

People had an axe to grind with Puel and were searching for the smallest excuse to go for his throat.

I'd be over the moon if we get that 6th place but would also be happy with the 8th, as long as I previously said, we're going in the right direction :thumbup:

• Like 1

I think there is definitely a balance we need to find, as the Wolves game was too slow with little quality in the final 3rd but on the flip side of that, Wolves, a team who are meant to be as good as if not better than us according to some, played Burnley style tactics. Whilst that worked for them a few times with long knocks over the top for Raul and Jota, I'd be pissed if we ever played a full 90 using them tactics unless we're playing Man City or Liverpool.  I think the key is that we need to start games at really fast pace and try and get a goal as early as possible. If we get an early goal, park the bus teams won't be able to park the bus anymore and will be brought out creating more space for JV and our attackers. It's pretty much a case of, if we haven't scored by the 60th minute, the chances are we ain't scoring as the longer games go on the opposition just pack their own penalty area.