Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
isaidno

FA Cup 2019/2020

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, StanSP said:

FA campaign to get people thinking about mental health. A 'take a minute' Heads Up to think about wellbeing. 

I thought it was a very strange idea when I first heard about it but now I think it's a brilliant initiative. Good on the FA for promoting it I say :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I thought it was a very strange idea when I first heard about it but now I think it's a brilliant initiative. Good on the FA for promoting it I say :thumbup:

Yep it's definitely got people noticing and talking.

• Like 1

I know Paul Merson is an idiot but fair play to him for being so honest and raising awareness..

Paul Merson: Ex-England midfielder talks about his mental health struggles

Former England midfielder Paul Merson says he hopes to help people struggling with their mental health by revealing that his own battle left him wanting to take his own life.

Kick-offs at this weekend's FA Cup third-round matches will be delayed for 60 seconds to prompt fans to consider their wellbeing.

Merson, 51, says he has been sober for a year after dealing with alcoholism.

"Now I know I have an illness. Before, I used to beat myself up," he said.

Merson was capped 21 times by England between 1991 and 1998 and scored 78 goals in 327 games for Arsenal.

He previously spoke about his gambling addiction in March 2019.

Writing in his Daily Star column, Merson added: "When I see this weekend's FA Cup games kicking off a minute later I will remember that time when things got dark and think: 'Thank god that's not how I feel any more.'

"This time last year, I wanted to kill myself.

"I don't want to kill myself any more. I don't have those thoughts.

"I'm telling you this because I hope it helps someone."

In 2003, Merson received help from the Sporting Chance clinic, set up by former Arsenal and England team-mate Tony Adams, after saying he was unable to stop betting and had run up huge losses, including £30,000 on the outcome of one football match.

In 2012, he was given a 14-month-driving ban after pleading guilty to drink-driving following a motorway crash.

"I was on my own, which is not the best place when you're down. Isolating yourself, that's where the illness wants you," Merson said.

"On Monday, I'll have been a year sober. I keep my life to one day at a time."

Just now, Izzy said:

I know Paul Merson is an idiot but fair play to him for being so honest and raising awareness..

Former England midfielder Paul Merson says he hopes to help people struggling with their mental health by revealing that his own battle left him wanting to take his own life.

Kick-offs at this weekend's FA Cup third-round matches will be delayed for 60 seconds to prompt fans to consider their wellbeing.

Merson was capped 21 times by England between 1991 and 1998 and scored 78 goals in 327 games for Arsenal.

Writing in his Daily Star column, Merson added: "When I see this weekend's FA Cup games kicking off a minute later I will remember that time when things got dark and think: 'Thank god that's not how I feel any more.'

In 2003, Merson received help from the Sporting Chance clinic, set up by former Arsenal and England team-mate Tony Adams, after saying he was unable to stop betting and had run up huge losses, including £30,000 on the outcome of one football match.

In 2012, he was given a 14-month-driving ban after pleading guilty to drink-driving following a motorway crash.

"I was on my own, which is not the best place when you're down. Isolating yourself, that's where the illness wants you," Merson said.

He's done and said this before about his alcoholism and gambling addiction during a programme - ex-England internationals playing against ex-German Internationals - but come to his Soccer Saturday cameos and people would still take the piss...

21 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Fair play to him and he's spoken about it before but he still fronts gambling adverts for his employer.

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Fair play to him and he's spoken about it before but he still fronts gambling adverts for his employer.

Don't think he does? Nicholas, Thompson and Le Tissier appeared in the last couple I saw, but no Merson.

EDIT: I'm not saying he hasn't but I don't think he does anymore.

Edited by Facecloth

6 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Don't think he does? Nicholas, Thompson and Le Tissier appeared in the last couple I saw, but no Merson.

EDIT: I'm not saying he hasn't but I don't think he does anymore.

It is absolutely staggering though how we'll have this minute to raise awareness yet football is littered with gambling. And I know that's not the only contribution to poor mental health but getting rid of it out of sport would be a good idea.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

It is absolutely staggering though how we'll have this minute to raise awareness yet football is littered with gambling. And I know that's not the only contribution to poor mental health but getting rid of it out of sport would be a good idea.

You're right, but that's a different point to criticising a former gambling addict for appearing in adverts for gambling sites.

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Rochdale game is really frustrating. Ref is pandering massively to Newcastle. 

Newcastle look like this is their level tbh. Better team sure but hardly outclassing them. Given Boston looked the better side against Rochdale, that's pretty bad. 

Yeah disappointed with Newcastle but I'm not entirely surprised. They struggle to score and while they've been on top today it's nothing special.

Joelinton is utterly terrible and looks like he can't be bothered. The way Newcastle have played bu getting balls in to the box it would have been a perfect game for Carroll but I'm guessing he's injured.