Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Post Horn Galloper

Seeing City score 9 goals twice

9 minutes ago, Post Horn Galloper said:

Anybody out there had my good fortune? As a boy of eight I saw City thrash Lincoln 9-2 in 1953. It has been a long time since then but l was at St Mary's to witness the 0-9 triumph. Anybody else witness both? And a question for a budding statto.......two City players got hat-tricks on Friday. Has that ever happened before in a City League game?In that 9-2 thrashing of Lincoln Derek Hines got five but Arthur Rowley only two.

Saw on twitter earlier that Lineker and Lynex both scored a hat-trick in the same match in 1982 I think it was. 

Edited by pds
  • Like 1

OS

It is the fourth double hat-trick in City’s history, meanwhile, with Fred Shinton and Dave Walker (9-1 vs. Gainsborough Trinity in 1909), Arthur Chandler and Ernie Hine (10-0 vs. Portsmouth in 1928), Steve Lynex and Gary Lineker (6-0 vs. Carlisle United in 1982) also completing the feat.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Best I've seen previously was the 6's v Huddersfield and Ipswich.

It took us ten years to score 5 in a game (I missed one of the five against Sunderland so that Scunthorpe game marked a record for me), then we had the joy of six (twice in six weeks) but we couldn't manage that elusive 5-0 until Newcastle. 

Used to be a bit of a frustration we seemed to stop at 4 when we got there. Had loads between 2000 and 2010.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corky said:

It took us ten years to score 5 in a game (I missed one of the five against Sunderland so that Scunthorpe game marked a record for me), then we had the joy of six (twice in six weeks) but we couldn't manage that elusive 5-0 until Newcastle. 

Used to be a bit of a frustration we seemed to stop at 4 when we got there. Had loads between 2000 and 2010.

Loads of games I've been to where we've got 4 and it always seemed like we never got 5, people still used to talk about that Sunderland game back then. But yeah, off the top of my head, I've seen us score 5 against Scunthorpe, QPR, Peterborough, Newcastle and those 6 I mentioned earlier.

Edited by Fox92

2 hours ago, Wolfox said:

I saw us put seven past Wednesday as a very young lad

2 hours ago, dayday said:

I saw us beat Wednesday 6-1 in the 80s and lose 7-1 to them in the 90s

Mine was in the 80’s too…. Was only 6 then?  My memory must be playing tricks!

On 26/10/2019 at 19:00, pds said:

Saw on twitter earlier that Lineker and Lynex both scored a hat-trick in the same match in 1982 I think it was. 

I remember seeing that one and have just dug out the programme. 

Makes me realise I am older than I think and my house is full of shit.  I still have programmes from meaningless games in 1982.  I have moved house about ten times since.