Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dahnsouff

Sharkey

He is a very important part of the team. What he brings can still help us to win games but, I'm loving Barnes and Perez on the wings and can see them being deadly the more they play. I don't see it as Mark being less of a player, he's going to be a bit rusty for sure. This team is evolving and it seems to me his circumstance is a part of it. He will always be a legend.

We would all agree it seems to be working right?  

Edited by TheLittleBigMan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Before you jump in, read my other posts. I'm obviously not talking about 5 years ago, in which, I agree he's been part of our important spine. I've already cleared that up. Now he's not, that's what I was referring to. Wes Morgan has been part of our spine for a much longer period but I don't think he's a starter now.

But no, Albrighton is not in front of our other wingers and you cannot seriously believe that. Perez has already scored 3 goals which equals Albrighton's most in a league campaign for us. He's also got 3 assists while Barnes has 4 alongside De Brunye.

I'm not shitting on a club legend for no apparent reason, someoneone started a thread and I contributed to it.

I've never thought he's scored or assisted enough to be labelled a "quality winger". He got how many assists in his best season here, 7? 8? And 2 goals. Perez will get 10+ for us and he's already got 3 assists. We've come a long way since 5 years ago, that was my point.

Stats can be spun in whichever direction you like, however. Name me another creative English player? Maddison is the best creative player England have had, playing in the Premier League, since perhaps prime Gerrard/Lampard. That's why I've never understood stats like "created most chances of any English player".

And like I said, I like Albrighton and he's been one of my favourite players during this great period, so I'm not knocking him or putting him down, but I like our front three now - it's technical, fast and has goals in them. Vardy shouldn't be the only player to score double figures again.

I see your argument ... but we are just talking about two games? One league game in which Perez scored 3 goals (yay) and one cup game where Albrighton played out of position on the left?  I think Albrighton is just a different type of player (see my last post above). He is a bit like Beckham - a great crosser, works hard and knows where to run and where other players are. Let’s see again in six months.

His contribution cannot be measured simply by pure no of assists. As he plays the ball early, often his “assist” is two or three balls before the actual chance/goal - but they dont count as assist in the stats. The ball to Vardy last Friday, that did not count as an assist even though it directly resulted in the penalty.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

I see your argument ... but we are just talking about two games? One league game in which Perez scored 3 goals (yay) and one cup game where Albrighton played out of position on the left?  I think Albrighton is just a different type of player (see my last post above). He is a bit like Beckham - a great crosser, works hard and knows where to run and where other players are. Let’s see again in six months.

His contribution cannot be measured simply by pure no of assists. As he plays the ball early, often his “assist” is two or three balls before the actual chance/goal - but they dont count as assist in the stats. The ball to Vardy last Friday, that did not count as an assist even though it directly resulted in the penalty.

Don't get this statement, he played the majority of his LCFC career playing on the left.......

....he looked good in pre season!!!

It is obvious Rodgers has asked for more from him and he has adapted his game to get in the box more to score. He really looked like another player and it was surprising that he was not starting games with Perez being ineffective and Barnes not firing.

We have seen Albrighton have poor games before but to some extent our observation may be clouded by the Southampton performance , but for me he needs to be on the bench as a back up to the wide players and obviously Vardys' foil. If we trawl back to previous topics we have posters running him down predicting his demise and his benefit to the team. They were wrong then and are wrong now!!!

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Don't get this statement, he played the majority of his LCFC career playing on the left.......

Beat me too it. We always played with wingers "on the wrong side" (ie left footed Mahrez on the right and right footed Albrighton on the left) in order that they could cut in, but with the option that they could switch.

Anyway my two-penneth worth is that, despite not having his best game for us against burton, Albrighton has been an invaluable member of the team, one of our most consistent performers, and as has been pointed out probably the only one who seemed to be trying to get a decisive pass away during the wilderness of last season. The only times we looked even half decent in the first half of last season was when he was in the side.  That said, we are playing in a slightly different system with a new emphasis under BR, who thinks we have better options to suit his tactics.  This does not mean that he is past it, a has been, no longer good enough or average.  He is still a very talented footballer who is amongst the best crossers in the league and will still no doubt have a part to play.  Being the true pro he appears to be I am sure that he will not shirk his responsibilities. If going forward his role is to be more of a back up or to come on from the bench that does not make him any less of a player, more that we have a helluva squad.

I simply cannot believe the over reaction to the fact that he had a relatively (by his own recent standards) poor game. instead of slagging people off lets celebrate their achievements …………….. oh wait I forgot. This is FT where a single mistake by anyone on a football pitch in a blue shirt  is punishable by death by ridicule.

4 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

That doesn't mean the left is not out of position for him. He played on the left because Mahrez, and because playing with Fuchs provided better balance for the team. His inswinging crosses from deep were also useful in setting up counterattacks, allowing Vardy to chase.

At the moment though, there isn't much of a reason to say he should play on the left. From what I remember, I think he has looked better linking up with Ricardo than Chilwell (although that just might be generally true because of how our fullbacks have performed since last season). Getting to the byeline on the right will allow Albrighton to win corners, provide outswinging crosses to the edge of the penalty box for Tielemans and Maddison, and create space for Ricardo to drive into the penalty box, only the last of which Perez really helps with.  

Obviously Rodgers wants goals from our wingers, so Perez will start, but when being substituted on, shouldn't Albrighton be on the right and Gray on the left? Gray scores with his right foot and should thus be the one playing as an inverted winger on the left.

Edited by FireFox

I look how Milner has been and still is a Great service to L'pool. 

Sharkey for me,stays and will Play a Major part in our season.hopefully for 2-3 more seasons.

A Team Today is Not just 11 players, "The Team " IMO  consists of 15-18,players,like England RUnion use their replacements.

Quality (legend) Players like Albrighton, will always have something to give at a high standard...We know he delivers, and his standards und quality,means

we Don't have to panic in Chasing replacements, we cant afford to wait too long,but it does give us time to pinpont quality...and not 'fill-ins'...

IMO he still is our best crosser,and now this season,more than ever, we are getting more players into the box....Plus has someone already mentioned,he Maybe

One of our best players ,on supporting the assist to the assist...He could end up in having One of bis best seasons for us,and actually Play less Full  games...

Albrightons form has veered pretty wildly over the past year or so from being one of our best players in one game to being haplessly determined to only pass to the opposition the next. I think the change in formation away from out and out wingers hasn't helped and also the ever increasing importance of intensity and quick passing combined with him getting older isn't in his favour. I think we are just seeing him naturally come to the tail end of his city career.

There's been a very Andy King like vibe to this thread in that any current criticism of a popular player now past his prime is put down because of things the player did four or five seasons ago. Albrighton is still a useful player but I don't expect hel be a stand out for us again regardless of how good he was back in the title win season.

• Like 1