Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Starmer Next Labour Leader

5 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Being reported that Cummings broke lockdown rules now 

Yep, visited his parents when lockdown rules were stricter :teehee:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/22/dominic-cummings-durham-trip-coronavirus-lockdown

Police spoke to Dominic Cummings about breaching the government’s lockdown rules after he was seen in Durham, 264 miles from his London home, despite having had symptoms of coronavirus, the Guardian can reveal.

Officers approached Boris Johnson’s key adviser days after he was seen rushing out of Downing Street when the prime minister tested positive for the virus at the end of March, a joint investigation by the Guardian and the Mirror has found.

At the time, the government had instructed people not to travel and to stay at their family homes. Cummings, however, was seen in Durham. A member of the public is understood to have seen him and made a complaint to the police.

When asked if Cummings had been warned about breaching the lockdown, a spokesman for Durham Constabulary said: “On Tuesday, March 31, our officers were made aware of reports that an individual had travelled from London to Durham and was present at an address in the city.

“Officers made contact with the owners of that address who confirmed that the individual in question was present and was self-isolating in part of the house.

“In line with national policing guidance, officers explained to the family the guidelines around self-isolation and reiterated the appropriate advice around essential travel.”

Downing Street has previously refused to disclose where Cummings was staying during the lockdown.

The Guardian has also been told Cummings was spotted near the gate of his parents’ home with a young child, believed to be his son, at around 5.45pm on Sunday 5 April, five days after the complaint was made to the police.

This was just over a week after he began self-isolating with symptoms of the virus. It was also less than two hours before the prime minister was admitted to hospital after his symptoms worsened.

The Guardian has previously asked Downing Street about this sighting in April, but officials declined to comment.

The disclosure that Cummings was spoken to by police raises potentially awkward questions for him and No 10. With the UK in the grip of the pandemic, the government’s own advice urged everyone to stay at their main homes to avoid the spread of the virus and to save lives.

“You should not be visiting family members who do not live in your home,” the guidance said. “The only exception is if they need help, such as having shopping or medication dropped off.”

Instead, Cummings appears to have made the trip from his home in east London to Durham at a time when Johnson and the health secretary, Matt Hancock, had tested positive.

Downing Street said Cummings had developed symptoms “over the weekend” of the 28 and 29 March.

When questioned about Cummings’ whereabouts during the following week, a Downing Street spokesperson said only that he was in contact with No 10.

A Durham resident who lives near the Cummings family home expressed shock and annoyance after the 5 April sighting.

The witness, who did not wish to be named, told the Guardian: “I was really annoyed. I thought it’s OK for you to drive all the way up to Durham and escape from London. I sympathise with him wanting to do that, but other people are not allowed to do that. It’s one rule for Dominic Cummings and one rule for the rest of us.”

A Labour spokesperson said of the reports: “If accurate, the prime minister’s chief adviser appears to have breached the lockdown rules. The government’s guidance was very clear: stay at home and no non-essential travel. The British people do not expect there to be one rule for them and another rule for Dominic Cummings. Number 10 needs to provide a very swift explanation for his actions.”

Don't see how any of his actions can be defended :dunno: 

Double standards.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

A Labour spokesperson said of the reports: “If accurate, the prime minister’s chief adviser appears to have breached the lockdown rules. The government’s guidance was very clear: stay at home and no non-essential travel. The British people do not expect there to be one rule for them and another rule for Dominic Cummings. Number 10 needs to provide a very swift explanation for his actions.”

Look at that beautiful Labour patriotism. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Ft reporting sunak and johnson have fallen out over when to remove lockdown.

Don't think this is a big deal to be honest, one's job is the economy and the others is a lot wider scoping. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Lionator said:

Don't think this is a big deal to be honest, one's job is the economy and the others is a lot wider scoping. 

Surely Sunak's job has a heavy influence in how Johnson's plans are constructed though...

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yep, visited his parents when lockdown rules were stricter :teehee:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/22/dominic-cummings-durham-trip-coronavirus-lockdown

Don't see how any of his actions can be defended :dunno: 

Double standards.

There are a few reasons that could defend it, although it’s unlikely any of these are valid given the distance involved. If the reason was valid, it would have been explained away by now given how long they have known.

I had to go to my dads rescue during lockdown, as he had a fall and I didn’t want him calling an ambulance if not necessary. He is in the extremely vulnerable category. Tough decision to make at 2am.

4 minutes ago, Strokes said:

There are a few reasons that could defend it, although it’s unlikely any of these are valid given the distance involved. If the reason was valid, it would have been explained away by now given how long they have known.

I had to go to my dads rescue during lockdown, as he had a fall and I didn’t want him calling an ambulance if not necessary. He is in the extremely vulnerable category. Tough decision to make at 2am.

Obviously your reason is legit and I hope he's okay.

Cummings has gone there and you'd think if there was a valid reason to defend it, it'd have been said by now as you say. The longer it's been kept secret makes it sound like there's something to hide. Same with the Ferguson thing - everyone knew since the 8th but it was kept hushed for weeks. 

It goes back to honesty as has been said before...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

Presumably he did this 'just to wind up' the easily offended people on twitter?

No he was just dying to get away from the metropolitan liberal London and meet more real people, presumably at his father-in-law's castle. 

• Haha 3

Jesus Christ, Laura Kuntsburg is beyond parody now. Literally replying to other journalists tweets defending Cummings.

In what way, professionally, is that acceptable. 

She is so far in to the tory pr machine she's actually forgotten what her real job is. 

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue

He's out of order,  i would criticise someone from another party and i will apply the same rules to him. 

Cummings did wrong, but I think most normal people would sympathize (if you take your Brexit hating hats off).  This took place early in the virus story and he probably panicked as his wife apparently also had symptoms and wanted his parents nearby as he's got a very young kid.  I'm sure in the same situation, worried, most of us would probably have made the same call.  Once there, they isolated in a different part of the property and didn't leave for the 2 weeks, so its being reported now.

Silly move (for us to discuss in hindsight), but no doubt worried and thinking of his kid he made the call.

Its not like he got in his car, healthy and fine, in a calm moment of thought and drove 110 miles to see his parents for his dads birthday.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dirkster the Fox said:

Cummings did wrong, but I think most normal people would sympathize (if you take your Brexit hating hats off).  This took place early in the virus story and he probably panicked as his wife apparently also had symptoms and wanted his parents nearby as he's got a very young kid.  I'm sure in the same situation, worried, most of us would probably have made the same call.  Once there, they isolated in a different part of the property and didn't leave for the 2 weeks, so its being reported now.

Silly move (for us to discuss in hindsight), but no doubt worried and thinking of his kid he made the call.

Its not like he got in his car, healthy and fine, in a calm moment of thought and drove 110 miles to see his parents for his dads birthday.

Given he had symptoms, do you not think he put his parents at risk though? 

Do you not see that getting in your car while presumably so ill he couldn't look after his kid, and driving such a long distance is wrong? 

'I think most normal people would sympathise'. Nah, you don't get to make that call as if anyone not sympathising is not normal lol. You don't get to enable his behaviour by labelling others like that. 

'he probably panicked'? What? He's the one who has made this call and has been advising in a high profile job for years. Why's he panicking? 

I'm still of the opinion that if you're well enough to drive so far, you're well enough to look after your own child. 

Also, these are strict lockdown rules he's breached. Early days of the lockdown doesn't work to his advantage. It's not like he's got sick and tired of the rules - they'd be fresh in his mind. You don't have to be wearing a Brexit hat to realise his actions are wrong, hypocritical, and set a bad example. Brexit has fvck all to do with it. 

Scotland's Chief Health Minister, as dumb as she was as well, got sacked for breaching lockdown. A Welsh minister also got sacked for beaching lockdown rules. 

Professor Ferguson got sacked for breaching lockdown rules. 

Cummings' actions are also indefensible and should be sacked for it too. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dirkster the Fox said:

The kids thing is no excuse. The rules were, from the start if you get symptoms, everyone in your house isolates for 14 days, including the kids. Not that you drive you kids to the other end of the country to be looked after. He is part of the team putting together this message, it's no excuse.  Plenty of other people will have had a similar situation and not even took their kids round the corner to their parents, let alone 250 miles.

What it shows is these people put together these rules for the general public to follow, but when it comes to the crunch, when they are put in a position like this they themselves don't want to abide by those rules.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Wait! So he was actually ill and showing symptoms when he drove to see his parents? That’s unbelievable and much, much worse than Ferguson who as I understand had recovered and assumed he was immune.

By leaving his house at all with symptoms he was putting others in danger including his parents! Also risking spreading the virus to places that may not yet be infected. Thick as shit!

Yep, mad ain't it. The clip from Newsnight I posted in the other thread clears it all up! 

The more that's reported, the worse it gets. If Cummings survives because of Johnson's dependence on him, the backlash will be enormous. No way are the press, opposition parties or some of the more sensible backbenchers going to let this die. There's already disquiet over Johnson's ring fencing of the Vote Leave clique as it is. 

52 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yep, mad ain't it. The clip from Newsnight I posted in the other thread clears it all up! 

Looking forward to the defence of cummings, claiming nothing in the rules said he wasn't allowed to travel 250 miles and he was just using 'common sense.' He'd also clearly had scientific advice claiming he was allowed to travel and had tested negative as the government are clearly 'following the science' 🤣🤣🤣🤣

If you think no one knows or cares who cummings is now being on the front page of every newspaper going might raise his profile a little.

Edited by Abrasive fox
  • Like 3

Guest MattP
17 hours ago, Bilo said:

Attlee was a patriot and an extremely intelligent man who abhorred platitudes and populism. He'd have despised Corbynistas. 

I personally rate Attlee as our greatest 20th century politician ahead even of Churchill, and the likes of Blair and Wilson are head and shoulders above almost all modern Labour politicians.

To see Blair attract more hatred from Corbots than any Tory I'm aware of, including Thatcher, is absolutely bizarre. 

I think Attlee gets a bit over rated largely because of the NHS coinciding with his premiership, many of those who love him would have hated him at the time for the "austerity" he imposed post WW2 with the rationing.

Wilson and Blair are the two Labour greats for me, it's a shame the latter is only really thought of in connection with Iraq now.

My top 5 of the 21st century would probably be Churchill, Lloyd-George, Wilson, Thatcher and MacMillan.