Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

I do use Strava, but only for cycling. It`s great for logging your activities, be it cycling, running, walking or swimming.

Good on ya Ben for putting this out there, hopefully you`ll get a few more runners on here to join and maybe inspire a few people that don`t run but want to try it.

:appl:

• Like 1

Is Strava any good at tracking treadmill running (if at all)? I just looked on google and couldn’t find a definite answer so I’m not sure if you know?

I tend to do a couple of runs each week on the treadmill after weight training so it’d be keen to join if there is an option.

No worries if not ☺️

2 hours ago, Wolfox said:

I guarantee I will be the slowest runner on there

Oh. Ok. Duly noted.

2 hours ago, Wolfox said:

get back to sub 25min 5km

:revenge:

Mate, a sub 25m 5k is bloody light speed for some of us. lol

Good luck with it. 

I'm currently restricted to treadmill running whilst I recover from an injury, so not sure I could take part.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vacamion said:

Oh. Ok. Duly noted.

:revenge:

Mate, a sub 25m 5k is bloody light speed for some of us. lol

Good luck with it. 

I'm currently restricted to treadmill running whilst I recover from an injury, so not sure I could take part.

Get yourself in and joined!  Get off that treadmill!

3 hours ago, E.Rose said:

Is Strava any good at tracking treadmill running (if at all)? I just looked on google and couldn’t find a definite answer so I’m not sure if you know?

I tend to do a couple of runs each week on the treadmill after weight training so it’d be keen to join if there is an option.

No worries if not ☺️

I genuinely don’t know?  Maybe someone can help?  I ran on a treadmill once on Strava and it got very confused!

can you log runs manually maybe?

Edited by Wolfox

I joined Strava a while ago and have remained an active user. 

I use Strava for walking and cycling but I could be tempted...

Unless you decline to use the link to invite me - as a potential disruptive influence - I might be the oldest member of the group!!!

I have no idea about using Strava for running on a treadmill. I think I would rather be outside, even if it is winter and cold and wet.

If I wear my smart watch when playing the fiddle it confuses it and it counts foot-tapping in time to the music as actual locomotion and augments my step count for the day accordingly!

8 hours ago, The Fox Covert said:

I joined Strava a while ago and have remained an active user. 

I use Strava for walking and cycling but I could be tempted...

Unless you decline to use the link to invite me - as a potential disruptive influence - I might be the oldest member of the group!!!

I have no idea about using Strava for running on a treadmill. I think I would rather be outside, even if it is winter and cold and wet.

If I wear my smart watch when playing the fiddle it confuses it and it counts foot-tapping in time to the music as actual locomotion and augments my step count for the day accordingly!

I’m going to take up the fiddle if it ups my step count!

happy to include you on the Strava group…. Just click the link!

indeed the treadmill doesn’t work for me…. I like the glorious solitude of the countryside!  But, it’s not for everyone…!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

Old Man question coming up:

Is this an app? Or is it a watch brand like Fitbit?

I am hoping to get out and do a bit more fitness this year, maybe trying to get up to 5km and see where I can go from there.

Strava is an app/website.

You can use the app on your phone to track activities like walking/running/cycling. It'll use your phone's GPS to track your location, speed, elevation etc. You can then save the activity to your feed (can be private if you wish) and other people can go on the app (or website) and see your route+stats and give you 'Kudos' (Strava's version of 'Likes') or comment on your activities. You can also join virtual clubs like this one, which essentially just group together the feeds from the other people in the club and have a few extra bits like leaderboards.

I think the majority of people who use it regularly eventually stop using the in-app tracking, though, and instead use another device like a Garmin watch (which tend to be a bit more accurate than your phone) to track their activities and then upload them to Strava later for the social aspect. The app itself is free though (the premium features aren't really necessary) and it pretty much does everything that you need from an activity tracker.

Edited by Xen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Xen said:

Strava is an app/website.

You can use the app on your phone to track activities like walking/running/cycling. It'll use your phone's GPS to track your location, speed, elevation etc. You can then save the activity to your feed (can be private if you wish) and other people can go on the app (or website) and see your route+stats and give you 'Kudos' (Strava's version of 'Likes') or comment on your activities. You can also join virtual clubs like this one, which essentially just group together the feeds from the other people in the club and have a few extra bits like leaderboards.

I think the majority of people who use it regularly eventually stop using the in-app tracking, though, and instead use another device like a Garmin watch (which tend to be a bit more accurate than your phone) to track their activities and then upload them to Strava later for the social aspect. The app itself is free though (the premium features aren't really necessary) and it pretty much does everything that you need from an activity tracker.

Thanks @Xen very informative.

And you get to see the glorious outdoors…. Watermead was finally passable for the first time in months…. Lovely and fresh…. I inadvertently ran on the new path when I shouldn’t have and got shouted at!

NU73cnI.jpg

LY5y2ON.jpg

uo2ct6M.jpg

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Wolfox said:

And you get to see the glorious outdoors…. Watermead was finally passable for the first time in months…. Lovely and fresh…. I inadvertently ran on the new path when I shouldn’t have and got shouted at!

Watermead is absolutely lovely to run around, those are some fantastic pics!

Considering I'm with Birstall RC and used to live (parents still do) just a stones throw away it really is a travesty that I've not ran around there more often. Think I've only been maybe twice a year max since I started running. Need to fix that, sharpish!

1 hour ago, Xen said:

Watermead is absolutely lovely to run around, those are some fantastic pics!

Considering I'm with Birstall RC and used to live (parents still do) just a stones throw away it really is a travesty that I've not ran around there more often. Think I've only been maybe twice a year max since I started running. Need to fix that, sharpish!

Yep…. Lovely place to run around and you can squeeze a 10km in or a bit more of you continue down the canal…. I work 5 mins away and duck out for a long lunch once or twice a week…. 

On 26/01/2020 at 12:31, Wolfox said:

I put this in the running a half marathon thread…. But, I feel it needs it own thread 

I have set up a FoxesTalk running club on Strava…. And we already have 5 runners join

As I run on my own, I found this a really good way to connect with other runners and see how you’re doing…. I am in another virtual running club (40+ runners) where I like to feature on the leaderboard (being a competitive bugger!)

I guarantee I will be the slowest runner on there, so, you don’t need to be a supreme athlete to join…. Treat as something to keep you engaged and encouraged!  Set your own targets -  I did 860 km last year and want to break 1000km and get back to sub 25min 5km

use this link and I can invite you

https://www.strava.com/clubs/5812

I will add you to the club and we can see how we get on…

As a tip you can change security settings so it blanks off a radius from your home address…

if you’re not on Strava, it’s really easy to join and set up a profile…

@ me on this thread if you need help with anything…

Happy running - it keeps you sane!

cheers

Ben

I've requested to join mate. Just doing parkrun last few weeks but looking to step it up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wolfox said:

Great stuff…. Park runs are a great way to get going 

you’re in!

I actually did things a bit backwards. I'd never done parkrun until this january, but I did the Leicester half marathon in 2018. I'm not a big runner, but if I sign up to stuff it gets me out there. Signed up to a couple of 10ks later this year.

• Like 2

Hi guys I'm not much of a runner but a do like a long distance walk. After recommendations from several people I'll be using Strava to record my walking progress this year. It doesn't seem to have an OS mapping option for it though. Is there a way for combing the two so that you can see where you are going as well as where you have been does anybody know?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, SexyGammonFox said:

Hi guys I'm not much of a runner but a do like a long distance walk. After recommendations from several people I'll be using Strava to record my walking progress this year. It doesn't seem to have an OS mapping option for it though. Is there a way for combing the two so that you can see where you are going as well as where you have been does anybody know?

I've never used it, but it looks like they have a route builder tool that you can use to set up a route in advance, if that's the sort of thing you mean.

Otherwise, Strava should be able to run in the background so you can hit 'Start' then minimise the app and use whatever other tool/app you want.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

195 club KM in a first full week…. A great effort!

up to 7 runners now 🏃‍♂️ 

Great running everyone :)

This week was my highest ever distance in a training week, almost double what I was typically used to in 2019. This marathon training malarkey is bloody hard work :sweating:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xen said:

Great running everyone :)

This week was my highest ever distance in a training week, almost double what I was typically used to in 2019. This marathon training malarkey is bloody hard work :sweating:

You’re making the club look respectable!!!