Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

4 hours ago, cambridgefox said:

I’m certainly not a runner anymore,but my lad who was never that  sporty has passed his assessment to join the Parachute regiment ( still a long,long way to go) now we live in the flat fens,but the assessments he has done are very hilly.

Any tips on strengthening for that?

is it just longer runs?

They do their times in 2km blocks.

if of interest he did 6k in 21min 30 last week.

That is a pretty impressive time.

If you have something very specific that is being aimed for, I would be looking at using a personal trainer.  Even for just a short period or ad-hoc sessions, they will develop a program to follow, and will monitor progress if required.

Do the wrong type of running, and he will not improve - it may hamper what he needs.  

Generally speaking, a variety of runs are required.  I would imagine a mixture of longer easy runs and shorter speed sessions would be needed. Hills are great for fitness too (if you can access any).  If you just concentrate on longer steady runs, you may not develop the speed and strength required.

Will the parachute regiment provide any advice and training plans to follow?  I would speak to them in the first instance.

I am currently training for a half marathon (which is quite a big thing for me), and am doing it as part of a group with proper run leaders and a training schedule to follow. It really helps to have someone who knows what they are doing to put a proper plan together. It helps to know you are doing the right thing, and also helps with motivation knowing what and when you need to do something.

• Like 1

I used the Couch to 5K app to get my body adjusted to running again after my knee injury 12 months ago. I didn’t really have a great running year in 2021, however it feels like things are starting to run a bit smoother again now. My plan is to now step it up and do a 10K. I’m trying to get out three times a week to try and keep improving my fitness and distance. 

I’ve gone from running 9 minute KM back in January to doing a sub 6 minute KM on Saturday. This felt like a major achievement to me, as I‘m now 40 and have shed 30lbs since January. 

It’s weird as Cardio wise, I always feel like I can go faster. It’s just all the bits of previously broken that don’t like running. Being lighter is definitely helping the cause though.

I’ll never be quickest in the Foxestalk Strava running club now, I just want to work on getting my fitness back and hopefully being healthier. I’m hoping if I can myself up to a 10K, then I should be able to do a 5k quicker. I’ve not done a sub 30 minute 5k for years. I can only dream of doing it in under 25 minutes now. 😂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Dave said:

That is a pretty impressive time.

If you have something very specific that is being aimed for, I would be looking at using a personal trainer.  Even for just a short period or ad-hoc sessions, they will develop a program to follow, and will monitor progress if required.

Do the wrong type of running, and he will not improve - it may hamper what he needs.  

Generally speaking, a variety of runs are required.  I would imagine a mixture of longer easy runs and shorter speed sessions would be needed. Hills are great for fitness too (if you can access any).  If you just concentrate on longer steady runs, you may not develop the speed and strength required.

Will the parachute regiment provide any advice and training plans to follow?  I would speak to them in the first instance.

I am currently training for a half marathon (which is quite a big thing for me), and am doing it as part of a group with proper run leaders and a training schedule to follow. It really helps to have someone who knows what they are doing to put a proper plan together. It helps to know you are doing the right thing, and also helps with motivation knowing what and when you need to do something.

Thanks for your advice,it’s appreciated.He does tend to do speed runs and slightly longer ones and travels probably 25miles to find hills.PT is probably the way to go.He managed 20 minutes on one of those stair things in the gym which was a killer apparently.

On 15/03/2022 at 13:31, Big Dave said:

I did the Burghley 7 race on Sunday - lovely course.  

I am now training for the Lichfield 1/2 Marathon (min May).  Will be my 1st 1/2 marathon.

I did the Burghley 7, would definitely do it again. Nice little loop, would be cool if they could extend it to a half marathon too. 

9 hours ago, LutterworthLCFC said:

I did the Burghley 7, would definitely do it again. Nice little loop, would be cool if they could extend it to a half marathon too. 

Steady on 🤣

Lovely course.  The only thing I thought wasn’t great was the lack of refreshments afterwards.  Needs to be more stalls selling food and drink.

• 3 weeks later...

I am booked in for the Lichfield half marathon on 15th May and have been training towards if for a couple of months.

Just had an email this morning saying it has been postponed until September!! 🤬

Not sure why. Very annoying.

• 3 months later...

Not a nice time to be running, one of many reasons I'm looking forward to cooler months. However I'm pretty sure I've just got my PB at Braunstone parkrun. 

Also, entered a night time 10k run at Rutland Water in November. Saw it advertised on Facebook and looks pretty interesting.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
56 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

Just trying to get back into running.... Is there an official foxestalk Strava club to join??

Yes, we had a group I was part of during the covid lockdowns. Some decent runners in it. 

13 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

No subscription required. You can pay and get some extra functionality but I've no idea what the extras actually are

Cool.  Well, if the Foxes Club will have me, I will be glad to fill the bottom spot...

OCH!  BOTTOM!

Edited by filthyfox

5 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

Just trying to get back into running.... Is there an official foxestalk Strava club to join??

I think I’ve just added you!

40 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

Cool.  Well, if the Foxes Club will have me, I will be glad to fill the bottom spot...

OCH!  BOTTOM!

All welcome…. Quite a few runners in it….  I think I’ve added you too

Good to see this thread revived!  It was always really positive… I’m sure it kept a few months f us motivated!

So, I’m trying to nudge myself back in to waddling along the streets of Leicester again…. After a niggle and a nasty cold, my ambition is to do two or three runs a week consistently for this year…. I kept the habit really well for years, but have fallen off the wagon a little over the last 2 years, but somehow have always maintained the fitness to do 5km