Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

If you want the token slow runner, she’s just requested to join πŸ™‹πŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸ™‹πŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸ™‹πŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸ™‹πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ
Β 

Currently training for my first ever ultra (100k) plus Ride 100 (100 mile cycle) and Swim Serpentine (2 mile swim) so speed has gone out of the window πŸ˜‚ The last 2 events on that list are all towards the London Classics medal so a really just a tick box exercise.

Β 

Β 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I could barely run a mile or two a year ago but I've got better over the past year.

Always on the treadmill, never outside, because... well, because I make excuses - my phone will be uncomfortable in my pocket, I need a drinks bottle but don't want to carry it etc

Had a bizarre one off experience last year when I ran 7 miles without stopping (on the treadmill) but can't get anywhere near that again.

I do think I might get a better buzz running outside but just cant bring myself to do it.

I don't record my running or fitness on any app (but understand why others do).

I don't enjoy running really but I know it's good for me and it helps with the mental issues I have about my weight and body.

Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest.

Keep on running!

i’m the polar opposite… I can’t face treadmills…. They’re so interminably boring. Β  Some fresh air and changing scenery keeps me going generally accompanied by podcast or more likely music…. Β  I also like to run through places where I don’t come into contact with other humans (not sure what that says about me?)
Β 

recording your progress is helpful for some and less helpful for others…. I personally like to see myself getting quicker (or regressing!). And I generally take a couple of pics and upload them on Strava - a sort of run diary of you like…
Β 

on a practical note, get an arm strap for your phone and you don’t need water really unless it’s really hot or your going 7+ miles

Β 

Β 

2 hours ago, waddadamadda said:

If you want the token slow runner, she’s just requested to join πŸ™‹πŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸ™‹πŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸ™‹πŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸ™‹πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ
Β 

Currently training for my first ever ultra (100k) plus Ride 100 (100 mile cycle) and Swim Serpentine (2 mile swim) so speed has gone out of the window πŸ˜‚ The last 2 events on that list are all towards the London Classics medal so a really just a tick box exercise.

Β 

Β 

You’re in and very welcome.... runner #18

10 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

i’m the polar opposite… I can’t face treadmills…. They’re so interminably boring. Β  Some fresh air and changing scenery keeps me going generally accompanied by podcast or more likely music…

Totally agreed on treadmills; can't get on with them at all. Much prefer to get outside even in the rain. What podcasts do you listen to, out of interest?

I switch between 'Running Commentary' and 'Running is BS'. I'd like to add some non-running podcasts to the rotation but haven't really found anything that's stuck.

Β 

10 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

on a practical note, get an arm strap for your phone and you don’t need water really unless it’s really hot or your going 7+ miles

I wasn't a huge fan of arm straps. Flipbelts and spibelts are good options for carrying things around the waist and have plenty of room for things like keys/cards etc as well as your phone. Alternatively, IΒ loveΒ the Kalenji trail running shorts from Decathlon which have a ridiculous number of pockets (including zipped) built into the waistband - easily manage to fit my iPhone XR in there with a pretty chunky case, and barely even notice it.

Β 

Β 

All that being said, @UpTheLeagueFoxΒ if you're not enjoying running I wouldn't force it - its not everyones cup of tea. Of course try a few different things (run outside, do a few runs with a club etc), but if its still not working for you there's no harm in trying one of the countless other options for exercise. No point forcing yourself to do something you just don't like.

1 hour ago, Xen said:

Totally agreed on treadmills; can't get on with them at all. Much prefer to get outside even in the rain. What podcasts do you listen to, out of interest?

I switch between 'Running Commentary' and 'Running is BS'. I'd like to add some non-running podcasts to the rotation but haven't really found anything that's stuck.

Β 

I really like the Adam Buxton podcasts - listen to most of these and he generally gets interesting people on

Β 

its quite a commitment, but, I also am full up to date on the history of WWII Podcast if that’s your thingΒ 

Β 

The Dollop - an American history podcast with a twist - they take some obscure character from history and highlight their lives - can be quite amusingΒ 

Β 

more or less - behind the stats - get your geek on!

Β 

Great lives andΒ a point of view

Β 

Do listen to the incredible Tunnel 29 on the sounds app - it’s amazing!

Β 

2 hours ago, Wolfox said:

you don’t need water really unless it’s really hot or your going 7+ miles

Really? I like to sip water every quarter mile, maybe it's just what I'm used to doing and it's become a habit

Β 

2 hours ago, Xen said:

@UpTheLeagueFoxΒ if you're not enjoying running I wouldn't force it - its not everyones cup of tea. Of course try a few different things (run outside, do a few runs with a club etc), but if its still not working for you there's no harm in trying one of the countless other options for exercise. No point forcing yourself to do something you just don't like.

I was in Cancun on holiday earlier this month and used the gym for 1hr+ every night and ran 3 miles each time on the treadmill. I have to do exercise to help my weight. I don't hate it, I'd just rather be lazy! Will maybe try the outside running thing too.

Β 

Appreciate the feedback guys.

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Really? I like to sip water every quarter mile, maybe it's just what I'm used to doing and it's become a habit

Β 

Oh gosh…. I’m not an expert in hydration to be clear!

Β 

All I can say is that I’ve regularly done 10km+ with water before and after the run and not during… I’m sure someone will be along in a minute to suggest that’s a terrible ideaΒ :S

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Oh gosh…. I’m not an expert in hydration to be clear!

Β 

All I can say is that I’ve regularly done 10km+ with water before and after the run and not during… I’m sure someone will be along in a minute to suggest that’s a terrible ideaΒ :S

I'm with you on this one. I don't like carrying things in my hands when I run and my routes dont give me much opportunity to stash a water bottle somewhere and come back to it, so pretty much every training run I'll do without any additional hydration. In a race I'll grab the tiny little cups, but unless its a hot day I probably wouldn'tΒ needΒ to for anything less than a half. For the mid-long and long runs in training I tend to carry a gel with me, and I use the isotonic ones from SiS so I don't need water with them and they go a small way to quenching thirst.

Β 

In the summer I'll be getting a running vest with a water bladder though. I don't handle the heat particularly well so will have to be extra careful, especially if I plan to keep up this higher mileage.

Edited by Xen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I could barely run a mile or two a year ago but I've got better over the past year.

Always on the treadmill, never outside, because... well, because I make excuses - my phone will be uncomfortable in my pocket, I need a drinks bottle but don't want to carry it etc

Had a bizarre one off experience last year when I ran 7 miles without stopping (on the treadmill) but can't get anywhere near that again.

I do think I might get a better buzz running outside but just cant bring myself to do it.

I don't record my running or fitness on any app (but understand why others do).

I don't enjoy running really but I know it's good for me and it helps with the mental issues I have about my weight and body.

Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest.

Keep on running!

Running outside is a game changer. Β I train mainly alone and there’s nothing more soothing than getting out there and just seeing where the legs take you. I do try to do my longer runs with other people to make sure I run at a comfortable chatty pace.Β 

Β 

A little over 2 years ago I couldn’t run for s***. I was at least 4 stone overweight and thought it would be hilarious to enter the London marathon ballot. Yep, I got in. Went from couch to marathon in 6 months, completed it and never wanted to run again. Started running again in May and as the weight came off, my times dropped and it didn’t become easier, my goals just became different and I pushed myself harder.

Β 

I guess what I’m trying to say is that once it becomes a habit it does become more enjoyable. If you can, go to a parkrun on a Saturday morning and just try to enjoy it.

Β 

As for water, I don’t take water out with me unless I’m going over 13 miles. At races etc, I use the water stations if needed but never take my own. Now that I’m entering the realms of stupid distances, I stick my hydration pack on and use that for fuelling my longer runs.Β 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, waddadamadda said:

Running outside is a game changer. Β I train mainly alone and there’s nothing more soothing than getting out there and just seeing where the legs take you. I do try to do my longer runs with other people to make sure I run at a comfortable chatty pace.Β 

Β 

A little over 2 years ago I couldn’t run for s***. I was at least 4 stone overweight and thought it would be hilarious to enter the London marathon ballot. Yep, I got in. Went from couch to marathon in 6 months, completed it and never wanted to run again. Started running again in May and as the weight came off, my times dropped and it didn’t become easier, my goals just became different and I pushed myself harder.

Β 

I guess what I’m trying to say is that once it becomes a habit it does become more enjoyable. If you can, go to a parkrun on a Saturday morning and just try to enjoy it.

Β 

As for water, I don’t take water out with me unless I’m going over 13 miles. At races etc, I use the water stations if needed but never take my own. Now that I’m entering the realms of stupid distances, I stick my hydration pack on and use that for fuelling my longer runs.Β 

Wow…. InspirationalΒ :appl:

Β 

i get the bit around habit… I’ve been in a regular running sequence for over 5 years now…. I can’t imagine not running…

Right then you mo fo's - I'm inΒ :D

Β 

Took me a while to input my activity from this year manually (had to copy it all from the notes app on my phone) but glad it's all in one place so I can now see an overview/summary.

Β 

I haven't got the Strava app yet and all my running so far has been on theΒ treadmill so I don't have any 'elevation' stats but that's O.K.

Β 

It's a good way of holding yourself to account and reminds you to get down the gym I suppose.

Β 

Cheers @WolfoxΒ :thumbup:

Β 

Β 

• Like 2

On 18/02/2020 at 17:46, waddadamadda said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

SuperbΒ :appl:

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Β 

Took me a while to input my activity from this year manually (had to copy it all from the notes app on my phone) but glad it's all in one place so I can now see an overview/summary.

Β 

I haven't got the Strava app yet and all my running so far has been on theΒ treadmill so I don't have any 'elevation' stats but that's O.K.

Β 

It's a good way of holding yourself to account and reminds you to get down the gym I suppose.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Nice one @IzzyΒ Β :appl:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Go on son…. Another one in…. Our Strava club is now masiv!

• Like 2

Went out for a run with a mate while we waited for our kids to do a session at Saffron lane track. I took him around the KP so he could see a premier league ground. He's a WBA fan. I think he appreciated itΒ :P

Β 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Shane said:

Thanks for accepting my inviteΒ :D

Β 

Just got back into running & have done 5k 3 days in a row so far. AlreadyΒ feeling the difference!Β 

Go for it! Β Good to have you along…. Β  A good effort with the runs!
Β 

I did a run Wednesday, but, went out too early after a mild virus…. Hopefully I’ll kick on next week…. It’s important not to try too soon if you’ve been unwell!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Good luck today Anyone running the Leicestershire half marathon at PrestwoldΒ 

I should really do this one year given that the half of the course is pretty much my regular route...Β 

Best of luck to anyone running this, and also to anyone at the Stilton 7.

• Like 1