Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

35 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

I really hope it’s goes ahead…. Your mileage has been epic!  All the best…

Worst case scenario I'll have a weekend in Manchester to have fun, so can't complain :P Even if the marathon itself doesn't go ahead, the higher mileage should put me in a good position to start pushing for PBs at shorter distances as well as set me up nicely for Solstice24 in June, so the effort won't go to waste :) 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Just entered the Desford 5 at the end of March if anyone else is doing that one?

Really enjoyed that last year - its not major but the hill about 4 miles in almost killed me off until a clubmate who'd been using me as a pacer (without me realising) gave me a kick up the arse to keep going lol Think I set a 5k PB in the first half of it, somehow.

I might try and get a late transfer for it if Manchester gets called off, but otherwise its a bit too close for me unfortunately. Swithland will probably be my first league race this year.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fox of WA said:

Well, my streak ended yesterday. Had 305 days in a row of running. I’ve had some niggling foot pain that I’ve finally admitted might be something more serious and a stomach bug yesterday that just killed any enthusiasm for activity. Pretty down about it but that’s what it is. Hopefully my foot can heal up before my marathon in the end of April. 😕

Image result for wtf gif

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Just entered the Desford 5 at the end of March if anyone else is doing that one?

Only open to people in running clubs…. Might’ve been fun as Ive only ever done one organised 10km before

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Only open to people in running clubs…. Might’ve been fun as Ive only ever done one organised 10km before

That's only the case for the first few league races of the season - the summer races are open for anyone to enter if you're interested. Can't quite remember which is the first 'open' race, but I know Swithland 6 at the start of June definitely is, and that's good fun :) (666 this year - 6 miles on the 6th day of the 6th month. Ooer)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Xen said:

That's only the case for the first few league races of the season - the summer races are open for anyone to enter if you're interested. Can't quite remember which is the first 'open' race, but I know Swithland 6 at the start of June definitely is, and that's good fun :) (666 this year - 6 miles on the 6th day of the 6th month. Ooer)

@6am???  :clap:

yeah that sounds like fun too….  I shall put it in the diary

Ben

12 hours ago, waddadamadda said:

West End 8 is for both affiliated and unaffiliated runners - it’s before Swithland 6.

Good shout that. Seemed a pretty good event last year, but I had an absolutely awful run and I've done my best to wipe it from my memory lol

Feel a bit intimidated by all the mad runners on here. 

Did my first run in ages on Monday...3k and I was done :(

Going again this afternoon, see if it gets any better. 

Main obstacle is that I really don’t enjoy it that much - need to find a way to make it more tolerable. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Milo said:

Main obstacle is that I really don’t enjoy it that much - need to find a way to make it more tolerable. 

I'm with you mate but we are old fvckers :( (mind you so is Bob and Vac and they're mad!)

I've decided 5km regularly is enough for me so I'm just trying to better my time each run (26 min 20 is my best so far but reckon I can easy beat 25 mins if I stick at it)

I tried running outside but struggle with motivation so just do a treadmill run while I'm at the gym 3 or 4 times a week. Find 5 or 6 of my favorite songs that I know the lyrics to and by the time I've mimed them all back to back (I must look a right twat lol) the 5km is done.

Stick at it mate - you need to :D 

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Saw Brendan Rodgers running up Bradgate Park this morning whilst having a slow 5 mile jog around - said good morning to each other 

I did a bit of a dodgy double take in case it was a look a like lol 

was definitely him 

And you didn’t sign him up for this??? 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Xen said:

Good shout that. Seemed a pretty good event last year, but I had an absolutely awful run and I've done my best to wipe it from my memory lol

It was my first ever league race 😳 Shepshed and Swithland were the awful ones for me and I’m still trying to convince myself they never happened....

10 hours ago, Milo said:

The best thing to do is quite literally do your own thing. If you’re on strava, have a look at mine (I think I’m only girl in the Strava club). Somedays I’ll do a mile or 2, I’ve bailed on runs and I’ve had a couple of DNF’s. Two and a half years ago I couldn’t run for s***t. Yes I whack out the mileage now however I’m distinctly average. I’m normally the last runner back for my club but I’m good with that. 

I hate running but it’s become a habit that I weirdly don’t want to break.  Music is a great thing to run with and also remembering to switch up your routes will help. 

And if you fancy it, parkrunning is a great way to shift the yuck feeling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, waddadamadda said:

The best thing to do is quite literally do your own thing. If you’re on strava, have a look at mine (I think I’m only girl in the Strava club). Somedays I’ll do a mile or 2, I’ve bailed on runs and I’ve had a couple of DNF’s. Two and a half years ago I couldn’t run for s***t. Yes I whack out the mileage now however I’m distinctly average. I’m normally the last runner back for my club but I’m good with that. 

I hate running but it’s become a habit that I weirdly don’t want to break.  Music is a great thing to run with and also remembering to switch up your routes will help. 

And if you fancy it, parkrunning is a great way to shift the yuck feeling.

Thanks - I will do the weekend parkrun and see how it goes.

I am currently just running in the gym, so the Strava app showed that I ran about 30 yards! (I'm bad, but not that bad).

I did BMF for a couple of years, but stopped with the fvcking apocalyptic rain that we've had since the autumn...but I just can't seem to get back into the whole exercise thing. I should really stop whining and just get on with it.

On 03/03/2020 at 20:36, waddadamadda said:

West End 8 is for both affiliated and unaffiliated runners - it’s before Swithland 6.

Looks likes it’s closed?  :unsure:

18 hours ago, Milo said:

And you didn’t sign him up for this??? 

17 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Was tempting 

that would have been a scalp!  Grab him next time and I’ll think about accepting…. May make him dangle for a couple of days!!!

11 hours ago, Milo said:

Thanks - I will do the weekend parkrun and see how it goes.

I am currently just running in the gym, so the Strava app showed that I ran about 30 yards! (I'm bad, but not that bad).

I did BMF for a couple of years, but stopped with the fvcking apocalyptic rain that we've had since the autumn...but I just can't seem to get back into the whole exercise thing. I should really stop whining and just get on with it.

I think you can log treadmills?  No idea how as similarly I used one when I was away and there was nowhere to run…. It just showed me skidding all over a little space in a room!  Can anyone give some guidance on how you log it on Strava?

19 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Looks likes it’s closed?  :unsure:

Unless I've missed it, I don't think the West End 8 has even opened for 2020 entries yet. Keep your eyes peeled :) The info from last year has different prices for attached/unattached, so presumably its open to non-club runners as well.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Milo said:

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

I think you can log treadmills?  No idea how as similarly I used one when I was away and there was nowhere to run…. It just showed me skidding all over a little space in a room!  Can anyone give some guidance on how you log it on Strava?

I just input all my treadmill runs manually on the Strava website. I haven’t got the app.

The only thing you have to guess at is elevation (of which there isn’t much on a treadmill :rolleyes:)

I know that’s a bit of a noddy way of doing it but it works for me!

• Like 1

On 05/03/2020 at 09:22, Milo said:

Plan. 

Going to sign up to Audible’s free month trial and see if listening to a good book will while away the miles...

Let me know what you think regarding running to an audio book. I love listening to music whilst running but haven't tried listening to anything else