Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

@Wolfox need your help mate please...

I've been using the Strava website to upload my treadmill runs manually every time I've been to the gym, but of course that's a no go now.

Means I need to start running outside whether I like it or not!

I've downloaded the Strava app on my phone but not sure what I do now! (I've got one of those arm band things for my phone so ready to rock and roll :thumbup:)

Do I need to input my route before I run or does the GPS work it all out as I go?

Do I just start running and it works it all out?

Sorry for being a noddy but not sure how I get this party started :unsure:

53 minutes ago, Izzy said:

@Wolfox need your help mate please...

I've been using the Strava website to upload my treadmill runs manually every time I've been to the gym, but of course that's a no go now.

Means I need to start running outside whether I like it or not!

I've downloaded the Strava app on my phone but not sure what I do now! (I've got one of those arm band things for my phone so ready to rock and roll :thumbup:)

Do I need to input my route before I run or does the GPS work it all out as I go?

Do I just start running and it works it all out?

Sorry for being a noddy but not sure how I get this party started :unsure:

couldn't be simpler @Izzy

1. Hit the record function button at the button of the App

2. Hit start

3. hit stop at the end

choose your sport too - defaults to running 

no need to do anything else…. Your phone has GPS and will record exactly where you went…

in settings you can set a zone outside of your front door (if you have security concerns)

once you get outside you won’t turn back - trust me!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

couldn't be simpler @Izzy

1. Hit the record function button at the button of the App

2. Hit start

3. hit stop at the end

choose your sport too - defaults to running 

no need to do anything else…. Your phone has GPS and will record exactly where you went…

in settings you can set a zone outside of your front door (if you have security concerns)

once you get outside you won’t turn back - trust me!

Thanks bro!

Can't believe it's that simple lol

Thought I needed a special watch and all types of shite.

Will give it a go first thing tomorrow. Looking forward to comparing my outside times vs treadmill :thumbup: 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

First proper outdoor run completed!

I know you nutters have been doing it for years but it's a bit of a new experience for me. Ended up doing 8.6km in 52 mins which is slower than I'd do on the treadmill but here's what I learnt:

1. Running uphill is hard work

2. Running uphill into the wind is a killer

3. Paths are uneven

4. I've already mastered playing hopscotch over horse shit

5. I nearly got ran over (must turn music down a bit)

6. The strap on your arm to put your phone is superb - forgot it was on

7. I need to get some of those gel/hydration pouch things as I was gagging for a drink

8. The respectful nod of respect from other joggers is nice

9. I saw houses and things in local villages that I hadn't noticed before in 20 years

10. There's so much litter in ditches in hedgerows 

11. Cars drive far too quickly in 40/50 mph zones

12. My ankles are killing me

All in all a great morning for it. Knackering but most enjoyable as you all said it would be!

Good work Izzy…. You’ll become a convert

No idea if this is verified (but it sort of makes sense) despite the uneven roads, running outside is actually better for your knees legs etc, as you’re continually having to readjust your tread…. Your tread is overly consistent on a treadmill and pounds the same part of your leg…

running up hill can be tough, but, it’s always worth it when you get to the top!

For 10km you don’t need hydration you massive pussy…. Drink plenty before and after and you’ll be fine!

8.6km in 52 mins is good going !

Edited by Wolfox

52 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Good work Izzy…. You’ll become a convert

No idea if this is verified (but it sort of makes sense) despite the uneven roads, running outside is actually better for your knees legs etc, as you’re continually having to readjust your tread…. Your tread is overly consistent on a treadmill and pounds the same part of your leg…

running up hill can be tough, but, it’s always worth it when you get to the top!

For 10km you don’t need hydration you massive pussy…. Drink plenty before and after and you’ll be fine!

8.6km in 52 mins is good going !

Mate, I am a massive pussy, yes :wave:

But, I've had lots of major surgery over the years which means as a result I need to drink double the amount of fluids of a normal person.

When I'm on the treadmill I do about a litre of water per 10km but i don't fancy carrying a bottle with me when running outdoors.

I think you can get these small hydration/gel pouch things maybe as a substitute?

53 minutes ago, Izzy said:

But, I've had lots of major surgery over the years which means as a result I need to drink double the amount of fluids of a normal person.

When I'm on the treadmill I do about a litre of water per 10km but i don't fancy carrying a bottle with me when running outdoors.

I think you can get these small hydration/gel pouch things maybe as a substitute?

Ah…!  Profuse apologies!  I genuinely had no idea…

you can get special belts that take water bottles and also bottles that curve to your hand…. Have a look on Amazon

Just now, Wolfox said:

Ah…!  Profuse apologies!  I genuinely had no idea…

you can get special belts that take water bottles and also bottles that curve to your hand…. Have a look on Amazon

No worries bro, thanks for the advice :thumbup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

Down a bit on last week!  (Nearly half!)

Not sure if it’s an impact of the virus stuff?

well done Jason, Chris & John who make up the top 3

Me dropping from 40+miles to 6 probably had a bit of an impact lol

Don't think I'll be back up in the 40s for a while (you never know), but planning to switch to a run streak now so I can make sure I get some fresh air every day. Some shorter, faster stuff as regular training and a single mile on the 'rest' days to keep the streak ticking over. No other life obligations to get in the way, and WFH means I can do something a bit more productive on my lunch break instead. We'll see how long that lasts... lol

38 minutes ago, Izzy said:

There are some great handheld bottles you can use or - if like me you're not keen on carrying things whilst running - you could get a cheap hydration bladder. Decathlon sells some super cheap ones - I picked up a 5L one (actual water bladder is 1L) for about £12 - and it'll be more than enough for anything up to around half marathon distance. I thought itd be bulky and awkward, but its actually really comfortable and I barely notice its there. Bonus - you could probably fit your phone in one of the front pockets if you wanted to lose the armband.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xen said:

There are some great handheld bottles you can use or - if like me you're not keen on carrying things whilst running - you could get a cheap hydration bladder. Decathlon sells some super cheap ones - I picked up a 5L one (actual water bladder is 1L) for about £12 - and it'll be more than enough for anything up to around half marathon distance. I thought itd be bulky and awkward, but its actually really comfortable and I barely notice its there. Bonus - you could probably fit your phone in one of the front pockets if you wanted to lose the armband.

Love that mate, what a great piece of kit!

Ordered one - many thanks :thumbup:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Love that mate, what a great piece of kit!

Ordered one - many thanks :thumbup:

Awesome - let us know how you get on :)

I've seen some from the bigger brands which are the best part of £100, but honestly for the price of that decathlon one I really don't have any complaints at all. Worst case scenario - its not a lot of cash and you can use it as a regular pack anyway :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Down a bit on last week!  (Nearly half!)

Not sure if it’s an impact of the virus stuff?

well done Jason, Chris & John who make up the top 3

F2251F21-CE39-4AF3-8168-92202BB0CC7A.jpeg

Spent last week recovering from my 20 mile race plus I quite frankly couldn’t be arsed so took the bike out instead.

Rest day today then back on it as of tomorrow 😩

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Izzy said:

I mentioned on here a month or two back about supping water while on treadmill and people pointed out I didn't need it for sub 10k runs.

Next time on treadmill I realised the water thing was just a habit every 0.5k.

Although I appreciate you may have health issues which makes it different for you mate.

Just been out around Glen Parva today. 

2.5miles, ran and walked, ran maybe 75%, took me half an hour, listened to Hawksbee and Jacobs along the way to keep me going.

I'm not used to running outside so takes some getting used to.

Might download Strava now, I need to keep active.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I mentioned on here a month or two back about supping water while on treadmill and people pointed out I didn't need it for sub 10k runs.

Next time on treadmill I realised the water thing was just a habit every 0.5k.

Although I appreciate you may have health issues which makes it different for you mate.

Just been out around Glen Parva today. 

2.5miles, ran and walked, ran maybe 75%, took me half an hour, listened to Hawksbee and Jacobs along the way to keep me going.

I'm not used to running outside so takes some getting used to.

Might download Strava now, I need to keep active.

I'm still recovering from my first proper outside run yesterday. My ankles, shins and knees are in agony :unsure: Think I need to invest in some proper running shoes tbh

The Strava app is brilliant. Even a technophobe Muppet like me managed to figure it out and it's great to see the FoxesTalk leaderboard on there.

Stay fit big man :thumbup:

• Like 1

On 22/03/2020 at 11:48, Izzy said:

First proper outdoor run completed!

I know you nutters have been doing it for years but it's a bit of a new experience for me. Ended up doing 8.6km in 52 mins which is slower than I'd do on the treadmill but here's what I learnt:

1. Running uphill is hard work

2. Running uphill into the wind is a killer

3. Paths are uneven

4. I've already mastered playing hopscotch over horse shit

5. I nearly got ran over (must turn music down a bit)

6. The strap on your arm to put your phone is superb - forgot it was on

7. I need to get some of those gel/hydration pouch things as I was gagging for a drink

8. The respectful nod of respect from other joggers is nice

9. I saw houses and things in local villages that I hadn't noticed before in 20 years

10. There's so much litter in ditches in hedgerows 

11. Cars drive far too quickly in 40/50 mph zones

12. My ankles are killing me

All in all a great morning for it. Knackering but most enjoyable as you all said it would be!

I’ve been doing the couch to 5k to try and get some fitness sorted, after damaging my MCL and ACL playing football last June. 

I installed Strava to log my runs alongside it and joined the Foxestalk group. 

I can relate to all of the above, other than the ankles bit! It’s my knees that hurt! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sly said:

I’ve been doing the couch to 5k to try and get some fitness sorted, after damaging my MCL and ACL playing football last June. 

I installed Strava to log my runs alongside it and joined the Foxestalk group. 

I can relate to all of the above, other than the ankles bit! It’s my knees that hurt! 

Mate it's been 4 days since I did that run and my ankles are still fvcked. I've also got a painful strain all down the right side of my shin so I'm a bit pissed off really.

I've just ordered some new running shoes from Decathlon so hopefully they'll help a bit.

I don't know how some of the nutters on the FT strava group run every day or every other day - madness! (mind you, they're probably a lot younger and fitter than me :rolleyes:)

33 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Mate it's been 4 days since I did that run and my ankles are still fvcked. I've also got a painful strain all down the right side of my shin so I'm a bit pissed off really.

I've just ordered some new running shoes from Decathlon so hopefully they'll help a bit.

I don't know how some of the nutters on the FT strava group run every day or every other day - madness! (mind you, they're probably a lot younger and fitter than me :rolleyes:)

I had this in the first few weeks. I was getting shin splints. 

I then found something called runners loops, for lacing shoes on YouTube and I’ve been better ever since! 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Sly said:

I had this in the first few weeks. I was getting shin splints. 

I then found something called runners loops, for lacing shoes on YouTube and I’ve been better ever since! 

Well bugger me!

Everyday's a school day on here :D

4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Used Strava for the first time today.

Did 5.2k in 33 mins (mainly run/jog with a bit of walk interspersed)

Hard work but great to be out in the sunshine and clear the head.

Come and join our club if you like?

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I’m 47…. You just get used it!  It would be odd if you didn’t feel the strain…. Had a full on off-roader today and saw two other people in 9km…. Belting down the hills, sun shining with great music on was life affirming!

3EBFC99D-A7DF-4C31-918A-E05E68E76484.jpeg

• Like 1