Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

Just now, SemperEadem said:

Having all sorts of grief again with my IT band. Was just getting going again.

I've had issues with that a few times. Give yourself some time off and in the meantime check out the MYRTL routine - it's a fairly straightforward set of exercises to stretch things out and strengthen the hips and below, as IT band stuff can often be from overcompensating an imbalance somewhere else.

Fingers crossed you're back to full fitness pretty swiftly 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Having all sorts of grief again with my IT band. Was just getting going again.

Have you got a foam roller?

My IT band on my right side has troubled me for years and my Pilates instructor gave me one of her foam rollers to try. 

Fvckin kills to use it but an absolute god send after.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-Sports-Outdoors-Foam-Rollers/zgbs/sports/458415031

• Like 1

IT band issues suck. The best thing to do is stretch, rest and stretch some more. IT bands should not be foam rollers. Roll around the quads and hamstring but because the IT band is not a muscle, foam rolling should be avoided. Not that it will help at the moment, the best fix for it is a visit to a sports therapist and/or a osteopath. As with a lot of running related issues, the pain you feel is most likely referred pain and you may find that the root cause of the issue is from your hips or somewhere. Spot the runner who’s had a lot of issues and has learnt the hard way! 

I really can’t be bothered to run at the moment as even though I live in a tiny village, the world and his wife all of a sudden seem to run. I managed a pathetic (for me) 10 miles last week but on a positive, I walked 30 miles across 5 days. Small positives I guess......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waddadamadda said:

IT band issues suck. The best thing to do is stretch, rest and stretch some more. IT bands should not be foam rollers. Roll around the quads and hamstring but because the IT band is not a muscle, foam rolling should be avoided. Not that it will help at the moment, the best fix for it is a visit to a sports therapist and/or a osteopath. As with a lot of running related issues, the pain you feel is most likely referred pain and you may find that the root cause of the issue is from your hips or somewhere. Spot the runner who’s had a lot of issues and has learnt the hard way! 

I really can’t be bothered to run at the moment as even though I live in a tiny village, the world and his wife all of a sudden seem to run. I managed a pathetic (for me) 10 miles last week but on a positive, I walked 30 miles across 5 days. Small positives I guess......

That's completely contradictory to the advice my Pilates instructor gave me.

Should I listen to her or you? :dunno:

15 minutes ago, Izzy said:

That's completely contradictory to the advice my Pilates instructor gave me.

Should I listen to her or you? :dunno:

I’m basing it on my experience and 6 months on the side lines.....

There’s been no real research into it and there’s actually a lot of contradictory articles (isn’t there with everything!) 

From what I understand the it band is tissue and not a muscle. Giving it a good bash with a foam roller won’t particularly help it or stretch it. The best thing to do is to rest and work on the muscles around it - my issues came from my glutes and hips. Yoga, Pilates etc will really help with flexibility and your core which in turn will help the hips etc  

I am absolutely no expert as it’s not a field I work in. All I have learnt is based purely on experience and an amazing sports therapist who is regularly tasked with fixing me.....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Been out road running/jogging/walking and keep suffering heel blisters. Never had this before on treadmills.

Are the two things connected possibly?

Same here mate.

I invested in some new trainers that are specifically designed for road/path running and they've helped a lot.

Also tried tying my laces using 'runners loop/heel lock' as someone mentioned on here and that's made a huge difference too (still prefer treadmill though if I'm honest and don't get the same aches and pains as I do after an outside run)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 06/04/2020 at 22:58, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Been out road running/jogging/walking and keep suffering heel blisters. Never had this before on treadmills.

I got these, then I adopted something called the runners loops with my laces.

It locks your feet into your shoes more securely, so they don’t run. 

It’s done the trick for me. 

• Like 1

Thanks @Izzy and @Sly for your help. Having less trouble with blisters now.

Had a few niggles and twinges recently and was putting on weight, despite going out exercising and not eating much different, which irked me.

Done almost 35 miles (walk/jog/run) in the past seven days.

Today I felt as good as I have since I began doing the outside activity, twinge and niggle free and didn't feel stupidly out of breath. Maybe the weather helped. Did 10k at 6.40 per k which I was happy with considering the distance and that it was the usual walk/jog/run mix.

It really does make a huge difference to me mentally when stuff comes together. I hope everyone else is enjoying their exercise in these mad times.

• Like 4

Using my 1 hour outside exercise to take a walk with my wife and daughter so no runs outside for over a week now. Just been treadmill HIIT or treadmill normal slow jogs which is a bit boring but putting the girls first at present 

can’t wait to get back outside in all honesty though 

14 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Using my 1 hour outside exercise to take a walk with my wife and daughter so no runs outside for over a week now. Just been treadmill HIIT or treadmill normal slow jogs which is a bit boring but putting the girls first at present 

can’t wait to get back outside in all honesty though 

Oh go for a bloddy run nobody will arrest you. As long as you adhere to the social distancing rules you're fine. There'll be plenty of families that go out for a family walk and then go out for individual runs. The reason they've said once a day is so people are constantly leaving the house and theres lots out at the same time, but a walk and a run is fine. It's not like you're spending the whole day wandering around town is it.

• Like 3

On 06/04/2020 at 22:58, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Hi Geoff, if the blisters are always in the same place try a bit of vaseline on the affected area before you start. I have a couple of places on my heels and toes that always blister but since someone recommended the vaseline I've had no problem. 

• Like 1

On 07/03/2020 at 15:28, Wolfox said:

Got ‘em and they’re ok…. Sound is never going to be great…. But they are safe

just got some Jabra 65t active and they are amazing…

EDIT - just checked and they have used like new Jabra’s on Amazon Waterhouse for £65  which is pretty keen…. Considering they’re £129 new

Just a quick update on this, I borrowed some Jabra 75 off a mate and they just kept falling out of my weird shaped ears lol

I bit the bullet and bought the Aftershokz Aeropex and I love them! The sound isn't as pure or basey as in-ears would be but they're so lightweight and comfortable and the sound is more than enough for me without being irritating with the vibration. Connection is brilliant and the added safety of being able to hear surroundings and also a running partner (eventually) is good too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

Just a quick update on this, I borrowed some Jabra 75 off a mate and they just kept falling out of my weird shaped ears lol

I bit the bullet and bought the Aftershokz Aeropex and I love them! The sound isn't as pure or basey as in-ears would be but they're so lightweight and comfortable and the sound is more than enough for me without being irritating with the vibration. Connection is brilliant and the added safety of being able to hear surroundings and also a running partner (eventually) is good too. 

Nice one - a good choice

I’m nearly all off-road, but, I have to admit that I didn’t hear a tractor creep up behind me last week, which was a little perturbing!  I do love my Jabra’s but if they won’t fit in your then you’re a bit stymied really 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Oh go for a bloddy run nobody will arrest you. As long as you adhere to the social distancing rules you're fine. There'll be plenty of families that go out for a family walk and then go out for individual runs. The reason they've said once a day is so people are constantly leaving the house and theres lots out at the same time, but a walk and a run is fine. It's not like you're spending the whole day wandering around town is it.

Good point and fairly put aswell. :D

On 11/04/2020 at 13:32, Facecloth said:

To be fair, this is what I have been doing, not every day but the odd day in the week. I have two young kids so leaving them with my wife for long periods is not that easy. I try to go for a run (and now also cycling) at least 5 days out of 7 in the week. Running I go for around an hour but cycling can be a bit more time consuming. Then we do go out or I take one of the kids out to let off some steam. Try to stay in the garden but sometimes they need a change of scenery.

As said above, it's just about being sensible. Keep the distance. And where I live is fairly quiet. When I run/cycle I try to pick the quiet country lanes (which are not as quiet as they once were, at least there are less cars now). The "rule" about exercising once a day is pretty ambiguous anyway. What if someone goes for a 6 hour cycle. Is that different to going out 6 times for one hour? As always, be sensible about things and things will be OK.

• Like 1

How frequent do you guys go running?

I did my one run last week and for about 4/5 days after my ankles were in bits. I’m assuming it’s because I’d not ran or played football in about 4 weeks so I need to build some strength again. Also conscious it could be my footwear or even running technique.

7 minutes ago, Wet Trump said:

How frequent do you guys go running?

I did my one run last week and for about 4/5 days after my ankles were in bits. I’m assuming it’s because I’d not ran or played football in about 4 weeks so I need to build some strength again. Also conscious it could be my footwear or even running technique.

When I first started with c25k and for the first year or so after 3/4 times per week worked for me - a rest day between each run gave a bit more time to recover, otherwise I'd end up with shin splints or similar. 

Over time I progressed up to 5 runs per week (skipping Monday/Friday) and settled in there for a while. For my marathon training plan I upped the mileage a lot and was going out 6 times a week with Wednesdays off, but still making sure never to have two 'hard' days back to back (workouts, long runs etc).

Since I stopped the marathon plan I'm now doing a run streak, so running at least a mile every day. A lot of days are just that though - a single mile - so I'm actually running less miles than I had been previously. Just a way to make sure I get out of the house for some fresh air every day, to be honest.